Pulling and pushing.

roythegrass

My Hornby Select user manual explains how to operate double heading but what I want to simulate is a steam loco at the front pulling coaches and a diesel loco at the rear.

We’ve taken a few trips on the Cathedrals’ Express and invariably there is a modern diesel loco at the rear. (Whether this is to assist the steam loco by pushing or is there in case the steam loco breaks down – or both – I’m not sure but this is what I want to copy.  Is this possible on DCC and should I follow the consist instructions for double heading but with the locos at either end of the train?

Roy

I'm not DCC but if double heading with DCC means both locos run at the same speed, whether the locos are coupled together or have 10 coaches between them should make no difference, however, with a loco at the rear there is always the chance the coaches will get pushed or pulled off the track if one of the loco goes even slightly faster or slower than the other. I once simulated a goods train with a banking engine at the rear helping it up a slope by having no motor in the rear loco. 

In theory a consist should work but if there is any difference in the performance of the 2 locos it can result in the coaches in between derailing.  If both locos have decoders fitted which can have their speed curves fully adjusted, eg Sapphire decoders, then it may be possible to get the two locos accurately speed matched so that no derailing occurs but it can be time consuming.

Hi, dont think that would work well. I run my DCC locos as consist, but as matched pairs. That way, they both go  at correct speed. In my view,  your coaches will concertina. 2 diesels, or steamers at front, fine, but even then, unless they are a matched pair, one pulls or pushes tother. john

In theory Yes, but how successful you wont know till you try it. The 'double heading' (consist) feature has no idea whether the locos are coupled directly together or not. It can't tell the difference. I don't have a 'Select' but I do recall a couple of posts on the forum relating to a user that had issues with his loco addressing AFTER using the Select 'consist' feature. In essence, after he dissolved the 'consist' he could no longer control his loco using the original loco ID address, and no matter what he tried he couldn't reprogram the loco either. That scenario was probably 'User Error' on his part in some way, but just be cautious using it and follow the Select instructions closely.

Apart from the possible 'cautionary tale' issue discussed above. The only other thing that might not be 100% successful, is the 'consist' feature matching the speeds and acceleration / braking responses of a steam versus diesel loco.

EDIT: The sentiment raised in my last paragraph is somewhat a duplication of previous posters views. They appeared whilst I was still busy typing mine.

I also concur with the heightened risk of derailments concerns made by others before me.

Thanks folks.

I had thought of buying a 'spares or repair' diesel loco and removing the motor so it freewheels and given the risks outlined I'll go down that route.Incidentally in the real world is the rear diesel pushing or only there should the front loco break down?

Roy

Archived