DCC Elite

Homer

I have just had my Elite updated to the latest by Hornby. I have just tried to program a Bachmann Class 70 with a Bachmann 21 Pin Decoder and the Elite went through the motions but did not work.i have been advised that the Elite should of programmed this chip  does anyone know if this is correct.

My Elite is at v1.41, which I know is not the latest but I have used it to Program exactly the items you describe, Bachmann Class 70 with a Bachmann 21 pin chip.  When I say programmed it, I changed it the id to 70 and the speed steps to 14.

All I can suggest is that you ensure the Loco is making good contact with your programming track and try again.  Let us know how you get on.

What is the part number of your bachmann decoder as there has been a great deal of discussion on these forum about Elite (and other makes of controller) not programming certain bachmann and other makes of decoder.

As RDS said his worked.

I recently used an Elite with a duff programming output (when connected to my rolling road programming track) but when I connected it directly to an ESU decoder test rig it miraculously worked again. I confess that I do know what I am doing in this field but even I was caught out. So it pays to check every time.

The programming signal is very low energy and it doesnt take much to degrade it below working level.

Having used 3 Elites I have seen different behaviour from all of them. The last one would not program 36-554 or 36-558 and the newer Hornby decoder used in their sentinel. It gave the impression the programming had worked but would not read the value of the address back giving an unobtainable message. It was not my programming track that was faulty because I connected the wires to an elink and it then worked on all three decoders.

I also tried direct writing from the elite not using Railmaster and although it gave the impression it had worked a read of the CV showed it had not changed. 

I am in the process of converting dozens of locomotives so this was not acceptable to me even so decided not to use the Elite for this purpose. I know others have had no issues and would like to know why there are all these inconsistencies with this model. Maybe the output to the program track is low on some versions? The ones I used were all manufactured in 2015 according to the label on the casing.

I now use another controller and after 24 DCC conversions had only one read error and on the second attempt that succeeded.

hi, firstly many thanks for the replies, I,ve tried most of the suggestions but none have worked the Elite dies go through the motion and the light flashes and the Elite clicks but the chip is not programmed. I did notice once that the train lights flashed but that was all.

strangely though when I revert back to analogue the lights are lite and the engine whirls, but the train does not move.

Can anybody advise if it would be better to use a 21 pin to 8 pin adaptor and a Hornby 8 Pin decoder.

@Homer1......you said... "when I revert back to analogue the lights are lite and the engine whirls, but the train does not move"..........that's doesn't sound too good........however, using a 21pin to 8pin adaptor plus the R8249 decoder is a viable solution.......HB .

My class 57 worked when I connected an analoge controller to my test track.  So no drive train issues there, can anyone advise what number to use on the elite for running non DCC chipped locos as since having the Elite updated by Hornby I do not have the 00 number which use to run non chipped locos, the numbers go from 1 to 999.

I have yet to try the conversion from 21 pin to 8 pin.

since having the Elite updated by Hornby I do not have the 00 number which use to run non chipped locos, the numbers go from 1 to 999.

The Address 00 feature has probably been removed for good reason. Just because something could previously be done technically, doesn't mean that it was a good idea. The following link will give loads of background information regarding the 'Address Zero' feature and explains why it is not recommended to use.

https://sites.google.com/site/markgurries/home/technical-discussions/dc-loco-on-dcc

Whether or not you can run analogue with your dcc controller depends if it set up,for such running.

To enable this on the Elite go to Menu  - rotate to find Unit - select Train 0 on, ESC out of it 

But as stated it is not a good idea to run analogue on DCC track and some manufacturers do not even support it with their controller purely to avoid these problems.

I do not intend to constantly run analogue trains with the elite, but until I can afford to chip all of my trains this will be my only way of running them, 

Also my layout has been completed wired now for DCC.

Many thanks again for the assistance I have receivedl

Homer, several of us get round running that big risk  you are taking, simply by a   Normal DC controller, connected up, with the DCC supply disconnected. Or, you can buy a special switch, to switch between.  It really really is not a good idea, to run DC locos with your Elite. I think it will lead to tears at bedtime. If you look at the Black Friday recent posts, you will see a picture of  B sky Bs layout, where he has done just as i suggested,  john

Many thanks, I have only just begun to use the Elite and Select units, but mainly I have run my trains with a Duette unit. I basically wanted to use the Elite to make sure I had no issues with my models that I had not chipped, as I had rewired my layout for DCC use only.

Yelrow can you advise where I can purchase this switch you mentioned.

@homer

you need a dpdt (double pole double throw) switch.

it will have six connections in pairs.

connect the centre pair to your track and each of the outer pair to a controller. One pair to the Elite and the other pair to the DC controller?

if you get a centre off switch i.e. on-off-on, then you have a safe selection in the middle to prevent any chance of mixing you DCC with your DC electrics.

Rob

Just a thought to the original question.  Are you by any chance using a hornby power clip / Power Track to connect the Elite to the programming track?

Because there are two types of power clip / power track and in each case you need the DCC version.

I've had similar 21-pin decoders issues when it suddenly dawned on me it was because I was connecting to the track using a DC power clip and not the DCC version.  

As soon as I connected the wires using the DCC version (or even better by soldering directly to the track), the problems disappeared.

What frustrates the troubleshooting process is that other decoders do work with the DC power clip, so it makes you believe it's not the cause.

Just a thought but are these problems the reason why so many elites are for sale on "that" auction site. I carried out several hours of track testing with Analogue locos yesterday and hope to start DCC programming and testing later to day, using a select prior to installing eLink onto a laptop. I will be able to control the entire layout from the middle of the room and expect to use the Select as a walkabout, if required.

Any advice or warnings of possible pitfalls would be greatly appreciated.

Pip

I use Railmaster with Elite as the A controller for locos, a Select hooked up as a walkabout and the eLink as B controller for points operation.

The only problem you may have with the Select is it only handles loco addresses 1-59, so if you are a long address operator (e.g. Use cabside numbers as addresses) then keep this in mind.

I wonder if people are selling Elites because they have 'perceived' problems due to operator error rather than kit failure, particularly when trying to program, given the propensity of people not reading the instructions.

Many, many people have Elites both new and second hand and have had no problems at all. Others have seen some problems and some of these have been resolved by advice from this forum.

Rob

Papworth Pip,

using a select prior to installing eLink onto a laptop. I will be able to control the entire layout from the middle of the room and expect to use the Select as a walkabout, if required.

Be aware that you cannot use the Select as a Walkabout with an eLink. The 'Walkabout' feature is only supported when the master controller is either an Elite or another Select.

Prior to purchasing my Elite 2nd hand from that site I spoke with a few sellers who reported that they had either found another person with a large home-based layout that they regularly played on or had joined a club and was buying the same as theirs for standardardised inter-operability and a few of those were now going HO and selling their OO.

Archived