Problems with sound

roythegrass

I purchased a used loco from a well known retailer.

Function F1 activated the sound and F3 activated the smoke unit. However function 2 activated both the firebox glow and a continuous whistle, ie to use the firebox glow the whistle was always on.  The loco was sent back to the retailer requesting that these two functions were separated.
Upon return the firebox glow had been transferred to F1 along with the sound – which was fine –and the whistle was now on F3 which previously had been the smoke function but the smoke function has gone altogether!  I’ve gone through all the functions with the chimney charged with smoke oil but non will activate the smoke unit.
I’ve emailed the retailer without response.  Surely it can’t be that difficult to reblow* a sound chip?

Roy
*PS Re-blow, re-programme, re-map? I’m afraid I don’t know the exact term!  

There's likely been no reblowing of the chip at all.  I think all that's been done is the function wires have been moved and the fire box glow not connected at all.

We may be able to help further if you tell us the decoder brand and type but clearly you still have a warranty issue with the supplier so don't go trying to rewire anything and void it.

@roythegrass

I think you have done the right thing by sending the retailer an email and therefore having a written record.  I would be phoning them next but still confirming in writing by email, anything that is agreed.

As Fishy says though, don't invalidate it by touching anything yourself.  

Good Luck and let us know how it progresses.

There's likely been no reblowing of the chip at all.  I think all that's been done is the function wires have been moved and the fire box glow not connected at all.

We may be able to help further if you tell us the decoder brand and type but clearly you still have a warranty issue with the supplier so don't go trying to rewire anything and void it.

Surely you mean the function has been disabled as you cannot disconnect wires from a chip. It sounds like the loco is the Dapol Black Box A4 all singing and dancing

Surely you mean the function has been disabled as you cannot disconnect wires from a chip. It sounds like the loco is the Dapol Black Box A4 all singing and dancing

A used Dapol Black Label already? Surely no one has bought one and sold it on so soon. They haven't been out that long.

Given Dapol only started sending out the Black box A4s just before Christmas it seems hardly likely that there has been time for someone to receive one, send it back and get it back again! Besides which those function numbers are incorrect for the programmed defaults.

HFM, just to let you know that Apostrophe Man will be coming around to your house early in the New Year.  And hopefully Roy may tell us his decoder brand so we know if your CVs make sense.

what are you on about ?

HFM,

I'm sure Fishmanoz will reply when he wakes, in the meantime he is perhaps being a little pedantic over your misuse of the apostrophe. Some Use of English rules state it should be cvs', not cv's. Generally on this forum spelling or grammatical errors are not commented on.

My apologies for the pedantry HFM, my bad joke I'm afraid and withdrawn.

On the problem, I was thinking in terms of a 4-function chip like the 8249 or similar (yes, I realise it's a sound chip but function wires will remain the same most likely) with blue common positive, yellow and white reserved for directional lighting leaving green and purple for 2 further functions.  The loco needs the 2 function wires for fire box glow and smoke.  The problem then seems to be the duplication of the function numbers for sound and to turn on what is connected to green and purple,   I think they have simply failed to reconnect the function wire intended for smoke in changing them over to work with the more compatible sounds.  If that makes any sense.

Archived