Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Paws

You're kidding of course about the Jaguar SS of the 1930's, if not I can only shake my head in disbelief, and horror at what this new wave of political correctness has come to. Maybe I should be grreatful that my parents didn't call my Simon as then my initials would have been SS.

Remember we do this for fun althought I'm having trouble with the fun bit for the above.               John the Pom

P.S.  As this is a modelling forum and not a debating forum I'll not say anything more on this subject.       JtP

• 2 weeks later...

/media/tinymce_upload/86181c1f56d19b98a5fafdd5f9d67f41.jpg

I reckon that'll more or less do for my French collection.

/media/tinymce_upload/0d07551f6833895de9cbeb870d31deae.jpg

Some upgrade parts for my Dornier Do17E, which is hopefully going to become a Do17P with some help from spare Monogram/Revell parts.

Hi Heather.

You calling it quits at the Breguet 693? What about the Morane Saulnier MS 406, Dewoitine D 510,or the fighter prototype that refused to take-off the Bloch MB 152 & the Portez 63-I or 63-II. As you already have the Amiot 143 whyb not try for the Amiot 354, that's going from the most ugly to beautiful, another real beaty is the Liore-et-Olivier LeO-451 1941 and finally there's the Bloch 174. I believe Heller has done all these aircraft in 1/72 scale an I saw a newHeller catalogue last year that had most of these in there, so maybe they're available again.

The Breguet 693 isn't a bad kit just that again there's no interior at all, I built one many years ago, and was quite impressed with it even with no interior, in fact I've built most if not all the above and the most impressive was the Portez 63-1 and that has a full interior, and I mean full it even had the oxygen bottles and fire extinguishers but sadly no pilots.

Pity Airfix don't do any French airrcraft, as then you could possibly sneak a photo for your Frebch builds like your one on the RAF air-field support vehcles.

Remember we do this for fun                                John the Pom

There has to be a limit, John. My French collection is in danger of outstripping the other air forces at this rate!

I have, so far, MB-152, Mureaux 117, MS-406, Potez 63-11, D-520, Amiot 143, plus yesterday's acquisition. I think that's a fairly representative spread of the types in action in 1940. More may come in due course.

Incidentally, this Br693 kit has a full cockpit interior as far as I can tell. There's resin and PE in the box, too.  😉

bought the airfix 1/72 curtis p40 tomahawk gift set for a 'quick project'.  nearly done too.

recent airfix buys include the phantom and the mitchell.

and something quite different for me, the revell ww1 soldiers which includes 12 figures, 4 early war french, german and british

must learn to finish before buying another

Latest buys here goes 

Waterloo diarama 

mustang p40

afrika korps 1/32 x2

german mountain troops

british commados

grukahs

german paratroops

raf gnat starter kit

revell nh90 navy helicopter 

that is my kit list materials list is growing countless paints thinners brushes filllers files scalples primers cutting boards only a beginner so got to buy every thing from scratch 

@ Heather

I'd be interested to see how your Dornier Do17 turns out with the extra detailing parts as the kit is on my long 'to do' list. But sounds like you will have the entire French Air Force to do first ...............

@ Heather

I'd be interested to see how your Dornier Do17 turns out with the extra detailing parts as the kit is on my long 'to do' list. But sounds like you will have the entire French Air Force to do first ...............

😎

I have actually made a start on the Dornier. I joined another forum recently that lets me share construction of other manufacturers' kits, and I started a thread there. At the risk of boring folk who are also members on that forum, I'll start a thread here at some stage. There's sufficient Airfix in the conversion to allow it, I think, though it might be a rather long-winded build with many false starts and do-overs.

To be honest, I have to be careful not to build too many aircraft at present. I've literally run out of display cabinet space! There's just room for small ones, which is why the French planes are calling to me. I must resist - for now... 

@ Heather

I've tried 1 or 2 other forums so I could post my AFV collection which are almost totally non-Airfix, unlike my aircraft collection which is almost exclusively Airfix. Anyway I gave up on them cos I didn't find them as easy to navigate this forum.

But I'll look forward to your thread on the Do17 when you get round to posting it.

And I have recently sold some of my old tool, brush painted kits to make space for new offerings. It also helps to fund new kits and paints etc.

I did mention these 2 kits in a previous post being purchased just after I had won the relevant auctions, but they have both arrived now so i can share them with you ......

/media/tinymce_upload/d4e472a83f506bbb7e2cb453ccf95569.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/cdb92d036fad8b7d73da7ece5d84fa6d.JPG

These kits are added to my growing and unusual collection of WW2 German vehicles/AFV's. I haven't sprayed a vehicle yet with my airbrush so its time I started and tried 1 soon?? 

These kits are added to my growing and unusual collection of WW2 German vehicles/AFV's.

My word! What on earth is going on with that first box?! Whatever the artist was on, I think I'll avoid it!  😮 😀

I think I'll have to investigate the Roden range for when I need to add suitable set dressing for Luftwaffe airfields.

@ Heather

Yes the box artwork is a bit of a mess but the kits are good. I discovered Roden about a year ago, they do some detailed kits of unusual vehicles in a constant 1:72nd scale which is what I prefer for my vehicles. Worth you having a look. ......!

Oh dear, I went on a certain auction site yesterday for some Railmatch Post 1928 Locomotive Green and ordered other goodies too!

Tamiya Masking Tape Refills (6mm, 10mm & 18mm - 2 of each size)

And the Airfix 1/48th Scale Sea Vixen...

Hi Heather & T2B

About the only one you might find really usefull for you airfield dressing is the Blitz Tanker or refueler. The Blitz truck was used by the Lufftwaffer but you'll have to find your own scheme simulary with the busses. The tanker is possibly the easiest of the lot and as the engine is closed up there's little point of adding all 14 parts. I've just finished it and it makes up into quite a neat little model once you've sanded the bonnet pieces to fit the chassis. just be very wary of the front wheel assembly, I've found after doing four of them that it's best glued solid right from the start.

Actually the artwork for the Maulter is correct the front wheels often come off the ground over rough terrain and crossing ditches. The drivers were instructed to cross diagonally to not damage the front wheel suspension and bearings.

If anyone tries the Maulter you'll have to strech  the tracks to 108 mm as mine had shrunk and I managed to glue them with a contact adhesive. It also makes up into quite a nice unusual model just that the running gear is very fragile. maybe I can post them poised with an Aitfix blitz truck and an Airfix Fw 190, maybe the moderators will allow that. 

If you like the unusual maybe the 88 mm anit aircraft gun mounted on a Vomag buss / truck chassis by the same manufacture would be up your street as would the WW1 4WD lorry. 

Remember we do this for fun                                  John the Pom

@ JS

Thanks John have previously looked at the Opel Blitz tanker and may well add it to my collection though I already have an Academy version. 

And it's not just airfield dressing I require vehicles for, I have quite a varied collection of armour, lorries etc the majority being German because they seem to have more variety from various manufactures and YES I think the Roden Vomag 88mm will shortly be added to my collection

@ JS

Forgot to mention this but I think Heather was referring to the background greyed out artwork on the Maultier box, of the shelled railway bridge and damaged Stug III etc, not the Maultier itself!