Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got the "Battlefront"  set from Home Bargains for a tenner.   The tanks and soldiers will go to my son for him to make or destroy as he wants, but I will keep the diorama part (I have fond memories of the original Forward Command Post with the ulltra thin base) so this will be a reasonable substitute.   Not quite sure what I will put with it - maybe a couple of Cromwells, or possibly look for some true 1/72 armour and better figures than the old Airfix ones.

I've officially fallen off the wagon and need to attend another Airfix Anonymous meeting...

It's been over a month since my last kit purchase, but tonight my resolve caved in...

I have succumbed and brought the following...

Airfix 1/24 Scale Focke Wulf FW190

Eduard 1/48 Scale Westland Lysander

Trumpeter 1/48 Scale Westland Whirlwind

Oops

Oh dear.

/media/tinymce_upload/77c80a06028829e6daf8c66636fa908f.jpg

You know, I think I may have to set up a blog somewhere to document my miniature 1940 air warfare museum. Airfix boxes in my stash are now outnumbered by oddballs like this!

SMER? Isn't that an evil enemy spy ring from a fictious spy film  😉

That's a very obscure and unusual plane too - I had to google it

SMER? Isn't that an evil enemy spy ring from a fictious spy film  😉

That's a very obscure and unusual plane too - I had to google it

SMER - I think you're right. I am not certain which Eastern European country they hail from, but the number of accents in the text hint at probably what I still think of as Czechoslovakia. Looking around, it is possible this is an old Heller kit, but I've seen others say it's better. *shrug*

I think I have three more French types to acquire. One or two Dutch types are hard to come by, and let's not talk about the Belgians. I'm now wondering if I really should consider the Norwegian air force...   🤔

He Heather.

The Amiot 143 kit you have is the old Heller kit re-issued by SMER. I have the Breguet 690, often refered to as the baby Beaufighter, aslo by SMER, and the kit hasn't changed from the original Heller issue, so I suspect your Amiot is the same. I made this kit way back in the 60's. The only thing I can really remember was I had NO interior what-so-ever not even a pilot, and with all those windows it really needed something and the kit was some-what basic but as it's the only one available I suppose we have to take what we can get.

The Amiot 143 dates back to the mid 1930's, and believe it or not was first intended as a multi seat fighter, a sort of flying fortress. At that time the French were guilty of producing some of the most ugly aircraft to fly and the Amiot was one, another being the Bloch MB.200. ( Google that one ) What is quite amazing is that after Amoit built possibly one of the most non photogenic aircaft ever built, the 143,  they went on the produce possibly the most photogenic aircraft of 1938/39 the stunningly beautiful Amiot 350. this was also issued by Heller. If you ever get to buy one do so as the two aircraft side by side is quite a conversation piece. The beauty and the beast. One thing the old Heller kit did capture very well was the uglyness and heavy-ness of the aircraft.

Thanks for showing this old kit it brought back some fond  memories.

Remember we do this for fun                       John the Pom

Went to a local-ish LMS for some new and replacement Vallejo colours and ended up with 9 and the Airfix Focker E-III Eindecker, which is exactly the same as the E-II except that it uses the other propeller in the kit, and has a different colour scheme and decals. The two should look good together and with the old Revell Morane Saulnier-N I made recently.

Remember we do this for fun                         John the Pom

Hi, I have the SMER (Heller) Amiot 143, too. Very interesting kit, very old, but also there are no inerior detais- nothing like other old kits.

There is absolutely nothing inside the fuselage, as you say. There's a little flash, but for such an elderly mould, it's quite clean otherwise. I've already been all over the internet search for any cockpit detail photos, so there's going to be a fair bit of scratch building to do anything sensible before the fuselage halves get joined together.

That build, however, must wait its turn. I have to get a new cabinet made, and build some of the other kits that keep shouting for my attention. Oh, and earn a living!