Hornby top 10, most exspensive modern items

new lad on block

Hi, there as been a few in the past who over rate items. Prices are for what they sold for, I did not include asking prices, as some are too fantastic.I have lots in my collection that are worth a lot less than I paid for them.The problem is that one sale may achieve £2600 the next, £400.I do expect all the 'Papyrus' to come out of the 'woodwork' though.

Papyrus is the rarest of the live steam locos. 

• 2 years later...

I've only just come across this thread and am surprised that no one has talked about the elephant in the room - that most of Hornby's most expensive items today are OO Live Steam models. Why have they got so valuable?

I can tell you (as a Live Steam fan) that the high prices are not usually collectors looking to grace their shelves with rare gems. They are fans like me who actually love running them, want more and wish Hornby would develop a new range. 

They are also new converts often from seeng the OO Live Steam Club at it's Roadshows clearly demonstrating  that the OOLS reputation for  uncontrolled crashes and unreliabilty is unfounded.

The big worry is the people who today buy without support (eg via e--y) and get the original flawed instructions that led the first owner give up. Just look how many listings are described as "used once" or "hardly used" or "test run only". 

I had to double check that the off topic category had been reinstated when I read this thread! On the plus side I have realised how much I have missed the invaluable posts from GNR Gordon.

Agreed SByB

Jacob really knew his Thomas stuff.