WW1 Tank

Sailorman

Having completed my latest scratchbuilt ship ....as always I need a "quick build."  Something I can build quickly.  The WW1 tank fits the bill perfectly.  This is where I've reached so far.  I'm trying to follow the build in Issue No 1 of Airfix Model World - Dec 2010.

/media/tinymce_upload/5490a373d49bb63b185b7b2329dbd4ab.jpg 

Nice looking "female" - Does it have the artillery wheel trailer that would mark it out as a mk1?

Yes....... I haven't stuck it on yet otherwise I'll keep knocking it off.  It will be stuck on when everything is done and the model ready for it final coat of semi-gloss lacquer.

Nice looking "female" - Does it have the artillery wheel trailer that would mark it out as a mk1?

Yes....... I haven't stuck it on yet otherwise I'll keep knocking it off.  It will be stuck on when everything is done and the model ready for it final coat of semi-gloss lacquer.

Cheers; I'm not certain but I think you can just leave the trailer off for a mk IV female (the same trick doesn't work for males because the sponson shape changed).

• 2 weeks later...

Black felt tip pen.  The tip came from the Airfix Model World article  😉  It works great on acrylic paint and not too bad on matt paints.  It doesn't work so well on gloss enamels.  The final coat of lacquer will seal it.

• 6 months later...

It's a long time since I made one of these, using the old bagged instructions that were written in steps, clearly explained in English. Looking at the new instructions it seems that the two guns,parts 5 and 14 are not glued but they are held in place by parts 6,7,15, and 16 which are glued (don't glue 5 and 14 to 6,7,15, and 16, glue the latter four to the gun shields). Similarly it looks like the two gun shields, parts 8 and 17, are not glued but are held in place by parts 10, 11, 19 and 20. Looks like a fiddley job, I think a good pair of tweezers and a pin to apply the glue may well be in order.

I could explain my last post a bit better. The guns in the gun shields will move in elevation only (up and down). The gun shields in the sponsons should only traverse (move from side to side). Put them working together and you will have a good range of movement.

I'm sure we all look forward to seeing your work Will. Don't forget that few plastic modellers have 100% satisfaction with their efforts. Also, in some quarters moveable parts are considered to be slightly old fashioned these days, although being slightly old fashioned myself I like having the option. 

Archived