Officially Done with Hornby elite

Epicrail Class 47

I'm fed up of the Hornby elite, I purchased it in April 2017 when I was building my first DCC layout and it's just such a pain. Number 1: A keep buying bargain packs of 20 NMRA complaint DCC controller's for 50 pounds. I fitted them and realised The Hornby elite doesn't Work with these decoders I then purchased a single 200£ overpriced decoder and put it in a Loco and it worked perfectly with the Hornby elite. Pain number 2: Only poor quality sound files work easily with the Hornby elite Most of the good sound files have struggled working on Hornby elite. Pain number 3: my kids get bored because They can't do much without the Short circuit cut Activateing for stupid reasons. My kids can't re-create thomas the tank engine Shows because of this. And Alot of the time the Aren't even Any derailments or Short circuits Pain number 3: Alot of DCC equipment I Need for my layout doesn't work with Hornby elite and Hornby don't make Everything I need. Number 4: it takes months To get reply from Hornby about problems with my system and all replys are useless or Asking me what is the problem with the Unit Even though I clearly said what the issue was. I've had enough with the Hornby elite. I'm gonna send it back and buy a 6£ pound raspberry pie and upload JMRI on it instead because it's a whole lot easier, if your looking for a DCC controller To buy, AVOID the Hornby elite!!!!!  🫨

Good luck with your choice of any other DCC controller but I think most of your problems are closer to home than the equipment.

I could respond item by item but it would be a waste of my time as your mind is already made up.

All I can say, is that my Elite works with every bit of non Hornby kit I have thrown at it. I do not recognise the issues you have described. In fact, I only have the Hornby Elite (with RM) two Hornby locos and a few Hornby coaches. Everything else I have, was sourced (including track) from other brands.

I predict that your particular short circuit issues will continue, if you are using Hornby track, regardless of what controller you end up using. Time will tell.

I am fascinated by your story.

If I have read it correctly:

- You are paying £2.50 each for decoders and wondering why they don't work.

- You bought an Elite almost 2.5 years ago and you are going to send it back.

- You are going to use a Raspberry Pi with JMRI.

I also have the Elite and I have been using it since 2012, firstly on it's own and then for the last few  years, with RailMaster.  I can't actually recall getting a short circuit.  My track and points are all Hornby.  I am very interested in the Raspberry Pi.

Please let us know how you get on.

@Epicrail.....you are obviously doing a lot wrong..........hundreds of layouts use the Elite with none of the troubles you have indicated.......Nowt wrong with my 6 year old Elite which works perfectly with 10 different makes of decoders (inc sound) and 6 makes of loco........ 😆..........HB

A friend of mine who has been trying to convert me to DCC for the last 8 years, finally dropped by a week ago and brought along his Hornby Select and Hornby Elite.

All I can say is....I am a convert! He made me set up a couple of ovals with points and so on and also made me set up the controller. Worked fine. Used a mix of Hatton's and Hornby decoders with no issues.

Regarding Hornby's customer service, the longest they took to reply to my queries is 5 days (over the Christmas period).

You tend to find that Hornby CC only ask you for more information when you haven't supplied enough in the first place. It's a bit like walking into the Doctors and saying "I have a pain", and expecting a cure there and then. You only get out what you put in, and if you're not willing to work with them to solve problems, then why contact them?

Nice analogy ff2nd......I might use that one myself at some point if you don't mind. It applies to many things, not just HCC. Questions raised on this forum for instance.

I love my Elite, but I do fnd some decoders have to be written to by writing individual CV values in Paged mode, and many can't be read back. This is a pain when using RailMaster as you cant write a number of CVs in one go, but these are the fun quirks of the hobby.

I also have run into issues using 4 digit addreses with some decoders (Not just the old R8215), but I solve that by just using a 2 digit one where this happens.

When watching YouTube. You always know when the presenter is using an Elite. There is this loud 'clunk' when they press a button.......yes very toy like.......but all Hornby kit is toy like.......expensive ones, but a toy manufacturing mentality all the same.

I'm sure the Elite works just fine.

But you all have to admit, it looks and feels like a kids toy 😆

Maybe. But honestly, I dont really care. It's a controlller. It does what I need it to do, has two independent control knobs, easy to use, easy to change direction, functions are easy to control, and I don't need to hold it in my hand. I also don't like the horrible look and feel of the hand controllers either, makes me think of walkie talkies. In fact, there is a gap for a good ergonomic design. ;)

It would be very easy to put a flashy metal box round the existing Elite or Select works, but that would not make it any better or worse a controller. Compare the existing Select with the new cased version in the 2019 catalogue.

Look at the Alpha branded metal cased kit, very flash and professional looking with easy connectivity, but how good is it really.

What counts for me is long term durability and reliability, fit for purpose, good looks and of course the price. If it can be made future proof then all the better.

Archived