Hornby 2020 range will be revealed on...

JeremiahBunyan

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One has to wonder about the way Hornby will celebrate 100 years, which relates to 100 years since Frank Hornby introduced the tinplate gauge O version of Meccano, which in the early days was purely an extension of the construction set system in much the same way as the automobile and aircraft constructor sets were.  The rolling stock was held together using Meccano nuts and bolts! However it proved less successful as a construction set and within a few years the nuts and bolts were replaced by tab and slot construction. 

I did however once build a gauge O three rail electrically powered N2 0-6-2T using nut and bolt construction ! This was to pay homage to the early days of Meccano made Hornby and speculating about what might have happened if World War 2 hadn't happened and Binns Road decided to expand the Gauge O series instead of moving to Dublo.

/media/tinymce_upload/df08e016af391bbfc8e735259fe1bbf6.JPG

Returning to what Hornby might do to celebrate the 100 years I would hope they might introduce all the former Meccano Hornby models that they currently do not produce, but now in 4mm scale.

It might be quaint to produce the No 1 0-4-0 tender and tank locos from the 1920s, purely freelance of course but lots of fun.

Then the rather stylish No 2 4-4-0, again freelance, and the 4-4-4T equivalent.

/media/tinymce_upload/9c44d64690472c44da33ea44abd164b6.JPG

The chunky little No1 Specials 0-4-0 tender  and tank versiions, again very toylike but had a charm all of their own.

/media/tinymce_upload/3577bf56bdfa8550b3bf0ce7dd720f6f.JPG

To follow the Number 2 Specials, they already make or have made the GW County, and LNE D49 4-4-0s and the LMS Midland Compound and 2P but haven't made the SR L1 4-4-0 so that would certainly help to complete the series.

In 1931 the No 1 locos got a make-over and assumed the bigger boiler that lasted into the 1950s. The No 2 4-4-4T became a 4-4-2T but with an enlarged boiler too. All again very freelance but attractive nevertheless. The No 1 /M3 0-4-0T even appears in a Lowery painting!

Then there was Hornby's first electric loco, the Metropolitan Bo-Bo (actually a Bo because it used a four wheeled mechanism hidden by tinplate skirts representing the bogies) which was originally powered by 125V mains supply reduced from 240V by a lamp bulb in series on the speed controller, I kid you not! Derailments tended to be spectacular!

/media/tinymce_upload/9a6510f5fb5560a41fd47b08d54efc75.JPG

I shudder to say it but there were the British liveries versions of the No 3 Special French 4-4-2s masquerading as Flying Scotsman, Royal Scot, Lord Nelson and Caerphilly Castle. Modern Hornby make or has made proper models of the A1, 6XP, LN and 4073 classes so I will draw a veil over these pre-War monstrosities!

The next one was the Schools, but they already do that one at Margate. This was the first Pre War No 4 series model which closely followed the shape of the real thing, and following a year later was the 4-6-2  Princess Elizabeth, a classic pre-War model still much sought after nowadays. 

So how about it Hornby, go back to your roots and give us some vision of what it might have been like during the last 100 years.

Those Met coaches are ACE trains stock, my original Hornby ones are far too tatty! You might have a bit of a problem running them behind the Heljan Metropolitan Bo-Bo, which runs on 16.5mm gauge track, the Ace trains carriages need 32mm gauge.

There is certainly a need for some Metropolitan coaches in OO, and if Hornby does decide to make their own Metropolitan loco, (either the Bo-Bo, or the Class E 0-4-4T) maybe we will get some, but I seriously doubt it. London Underground seems to be a no-go area for them.

I'm hoping for an extra special Hornby 2020 Year Wagon, similar to the Hornby 2000 Wagon, which was a 100T LWB Tanker painted sliver. I'm not wanting / hoping for exactly for the same wagon with 2020 decals on instead of 2000 decals on, but some sort of LWB wagon that's not usual, painted in another colour than the usually red, which is the main colour for these wagons. I'm hoping for a different colour for this year and for a unusual wagon.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

I suspect we will see the Loco Detection system finally launched this year. Over the past few months there have been several Hornby adverts in various magazines referencing the 'forthcoming loco detection system'. It is now over 6 years since Hornby announced Loco Detection but the fact they are mentioning it now suggests it is imminent.

Well, I am pretty impressed. Hornby have really looked at what could be of interest to the modern image modeller (and therefore maybe also to some of the younger modellers coming through!) as well as some great "unusual" and classic models. The irony, of course, is I spent the last year converting locos to ones that Hornby have now announced!! GBRf 50007, 50049, 47739, 47749, Network Rail 97304.... Liking the Hush hush and the APTs too - great to see so many options for that....I only wonder if any of the additional coach packs will be compatibale with the old 1980s model! Pricing seems good too - although waiting to see what are Railroad versions....

What a STUPENDOUS amount of fantastic additions - many of which could be instant best-sellers ... !!!

Great Job Hornby!!

Rocket - anyone who doesn't 'want' a Rocket - whether they buy or not - is not an enthusiast - biased? Of course!!

APT - Likewise!

W1   - TOP OF THE LIST for me - MUST HAVE - W1 (just keep that quiet, between us!!) ... just that matter of the wife, family, mortgage, school trips, food on table .... mmmhhh!!

A2/2?  Very interesting addition, but not one of my favourites, but fantastic choice.

Class 91 upgrade / retool?  There's a few opinions on this one which will be known to many, but I cannot discuss here.

Al.

Frankly I am disappointed there was nothing new for Southern modellers, a few new liveries thats all.  The LNER fraternity ought to be cock-a-whoop with two new A2s plus the W1 in all its guises and at long last some proper coaches to go with the Princess Coronation. 

The APT is a strange choice which will undoubtedly de-value the one I have been hoarding for all those years! 

I may try and get a Rocket set if I can find a website that will allow me to pre-order one, at the moment none of them appear to be working.

I still haven't viewed the Hornby 'New For 2020' range. All day I have been trying, but the website won't load and then when it does, it crashes. I have made it on to the forum at last, which I have also something I have not been able to get on. Every year this happens, on the new range day!  🫨  🤔  😆  😉  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)