which way round does a class 20 go?

Dorchester Yard

I worked with class 20s at Tinsley and at Barrow Hill in the early 1980s and with one exception they were always used in pairs and always nose to nose. 

The exception was the Doe Lea pilot which worked from Seymour Junction to Bolsover Colliery, serving Coalite as well. This was a single class 20 only and was called Trip No T94.

Class 20s were also used on all the local trips except the Scunthorpe Entrance E Coke runs which were usually a pair of Class 31s, and of course the Merry Go Rounds which were usually a Class 47, slow speed fitted, which were later replaced with class 56s. The Meadow Hall pilot (08) used to take wagons when it went out in the morning and brought some back in the evening. It shunted the different firms at Meadow Hall during the day. 

Before it was de-electrified the Deepcar trip was hauled by a class 76, but after the line to Manchester via Woodhead was closed, class 20s took that over as well. 

I know that you said Brian. I was qouting you, without using the pink qoute box which a waste of space.  😀

Without a turntable, locomotives would not be able to turn around without a crane lifting them off the track, which not necessary, really! 😆

I think they look better nose first, but I understand why they are easier to for the driver to see where it he / she is going, if the locomotive runs cab first. Apart from steam locomotives, I don't think most diesel locomotives have a front and a rear. They run just fine in either direction.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

As a coupled pair, usually nose to nose, the class 20 made a formidable hauler. 2000 hp available, so equal to a type 4, but with 8 axles motored so significantly more adhesion than any other Type 4.

Forward vision with bonnet leading was not good and drivers did not like to run that way round. Occasionally a pair was made up cab to nose and the LDC would moan loudly to management whenever that happened.

Another issue that we never really got to the bottom of was that when coupling two class 20s certain locomotives refused to run in multiple, it was often locomotives with consecutive numbers which played up. 

Driving a diesel from the wrong end was forbidden, Drivers were supposed to change ends before reversing.  With a pair of 20s it was even more dangerous with double length from the blind end, but still some drivers took the lazy (and unsafe) option. One night one of our guards was run over by a pair of 20s in the shed yard but fortunately he huddled in the four foot and survived with cuts and bruises. A really scary experience!

I was sat at Weybourne station on the NNR in the summer listening to it burble past trying to compare it in my head to my TTS 20.

I do the same with the MNR locos although now I have moved they do not pass my door, so I have to walk up to the station to hear them.

We need a 'LIKE' button.

That looks great Rob, thanks for posting.

Al.

PS:  In answer to the OP title, I suppose it's 'whichever way you want it to go' !!

i'll take that as a conclusion lol.

i suppose all deisels can go either way it doesnt matter like you said. but i had my suspicion it ran with the cab at the back since i personally always saw them as the "big brother" to 08's due to that similar shape.

Image result for class 08Image result for class 20

anyone else see what i mean?

In any case, an old Lima model, with the motor removed, would probably be the cheapest option?

Sadly Lima Class 20s are probably the more saught after models from that range with the cheapest buy it nows going for around £40 and more if you want plain Rail blue.

I suppose that has something to do with the Lima class 20 having a better motor arrangement, than the usual pancake motor?

So.... there may be a market for unpowered locos.

But that would be offset by the DCC contingent being able to use the same address for two locos, or probably better, if the controller allows, making up a 'consist'...

I must admit I wouldn't mind an unpowered one, it would make life so much simpler with DCC. One of my two green ones has had to have it's Chip reprogrammed so it's direction reversed so that the two candouble head nose to nose.

This has prooved a bit confusing when trying to operate singlly as I keep forgetting which one is programmed in which direction!

I once had to act as a "lookout" in an 08 during the late 1980s on a heritage railway when I was the only other person available. The view out towards the front from the cab was very restricted but returning backwards the driver could see everything. However, the controlls and guages in the 08 however were all aranged for running forward - unless you count those on the small belling hotplate!

Perhapse the answer is to look at a class 20 cab interior or are they duplicated for either direction?

I suppose it doesn't really matter - at the end of the day it's only a Model & you can see where it is going!!!

@ L.C. :- Hey I've been to Barrow Hill a few Time & it is the only "Working Round House" left in Britian!!!

I went there a few years ago & look what I bought...

/media/tinymce_upload/46666b6555398daad9216b4478ae2fa1.JPG

(TIP :- When taking a photo - Remember to put the S. D. Card in 1st before taking photo!!!)

/media/tinymce_upload/0c9ba7a5369b35ca203539c0a2b5d401.JPG

& this is the Box it came in...

/media/tinymce_upload/141203a85baf0ecee22de48d9e2b4aa5.JPG

Interestingly enough - it had some thing to do woth the National Railway Museum for some reason - I Think may be b/c Barrow Hill had it on Load from the N. R. M - Also I got a Blue T-Shirt with the L NE R Logo on it in Goldy Yellow!!!

@ Atom :- I can't remember where I saw it but some one else on the Forum posted a photo - then some 1 else "copy & Past"  a "Like" thumb from FaceBook (I think) &posted it underneith the photo!!!