The Rocket

Jonas101

You will have more success at making a post if you stop trying to use the 'blue' button. Just write what you want to say in the 'Reply Text Box' at the very bottom of the page and click the green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding Hornby dealerships "hiking-up" the price, I rather suspect that Hornby may well have a lot to say on the matter. I supect that dealerships having failed to get pre-orders, are just selling them off while they can, next year another limited edition.

I wonder if Hornby themselves might like to add to this thread?

I sort of agree with Atom3624. Although it annoys me, I can see why a Dealer would want to get maximum return on a product. It is a jungle out there not helped by the "box movers" if you are a small dealer you need to make money when you can. So I suppose they have got to get their profit somehow, as I say I notice it a lot on Skaledale buildings, the pubs especially. If people didn't pay the inflated prices, then they wouldn't happen. It is like Premiership Football matches, people moan about the prices, but I can very rarely get a ticket for my favorite team as they are normally sold out within an hour. So to some people they cannot be that expensive (compared to a rock concert or US ball game, they are cheap).

Well I am happy. My little yellow beastie came back today from Hornby. The coaches with the broken buffers were replaced and the Loco tested by Hornby. Studying the coaches closely I can see why they broke, but as one says; for warned is for armed.

I know they did not just glue the broken parts back because the old buffers are still in the box (xo if I do break another off and lose it at least I will have spares. Just go to cut up my wife's old neckless to make so coupling chains.

Well done Hornby; less that a week turnaround.

• 5 weeks later...

I bought one new from a hobby shop in Australia a few weeks ago for the equivalent of £145 (including postage).

Arrived in pristine condition and runs beautifully. Yes, it's delicate and those couplings are a right pain to put in place. But I'm very happy - mine is going to run, not live its life in the box. TBH it is more likely to get broken by putting it in and out of the packing.

sxbiker, that won't happen. Hornby Hobbies do not read the forum, never mind add a comment to any particular thread.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Oddly enough Jacob I was searching (and failed to find) something on the forum and spotted a post by Hornby Customer Care in 2011 in response to a user query. Maybe it is something they should resurrect.

• 2 months later...

Any item for sale belongs to the seller, it is their property and they can ask as much as they want for it. People sell their houses, cars etc for as much as they can get for them so it’s a tad hypocritical to then complain when you just can't buy something for as little as you want to pay for it.

There does seem to be a persistent delusion by some people they are entitled to other people property, they can only decide how much they want to pay for something not what anyone else is prepared to pay. Shops have staff to pay and costs, so much for people standing up for model shops one minute and then want what they can get for as little as possible.

Some people just don't seem to realise that self-entitlement does not actually entitle you to anything.

I just saw an email from Rails - the Rocket has landed, and will be in the post to pre-ordered customers very soon. They are sold-out, so don't bother looking, if you want one! They're also offering, on pre-order, a Rails special run of the blue 2nd class coach/truck to go with the Rocket and yellow 1st class coaches.

Always up to the individual and how much you want something. Just annoys me to listen to people get on as if Hornby should keep a stock just in case they decide they want to buy one whenever. Hornby and every model shop is a business will bills and staff to pay, they should be glad of any sale why should they care who buys them.

These could be pre-ordered and neither Rails of Hattons charge the card until they are in stock.  When there is more demand than supply a seller will never lose a sale because someone doesn’t want to pay that price, they just delay a sale. They are rarely the only buyer in town, at the end of the day the seller will get what they want for it and the buyer who does not want to pay that amount will get to keep their money

Pete’s Spares also have 33 of them in stock at the same price on their website, £179 if bought through eBay

• 2 weeks later...

Just had mine delivered from rails. Unfortunately, bits missing, a wire broken and , bits lying in the bottom of the box and no instruction leaflet. Returned to Rails for a refund as basically "doa".

I accept it is delicate but at £162.00 I don't expect somethin sub standard. Can't offer me a replacement as non available.Had on order since January so really dissapointed as it is a beautiful little model.I have e-mailed Hornby twice but no response. I know we are in strange times but if you are selling goods you should be capable of supporting them.

Wilf, hi, your beef is with Rails who appear to have  sent you  an item unchecked by their quality control. Size of dealership, perhaps, or, as Hornby, working with limited staff. Peter spares had sveral in stock.  it is a shame you have  received this damaged. but Hornby ,cannot really be blamed for protecting their staff.  Hope you find another.

Yelrow,

I can appreciate Rails responsibility as a Seller but would not expect them to complete QA checks on products supplied by others, especially a company like Hornby. Their turnover would make that a ridiculous expensive & time consuming operation. Why do you think Hornby protecting their staff relieves them of responsibility?

Most mail order suppliers do not test run locos and many shops do not either. I did have Modelzone (RIP) offer to test run a loco but knowing the nut and bolt packaging it had declined the offer for fear of damage if not in the intial unpacking, the repacking or transportation if the repackaging was fully done correctly. My Rocket is parcelled up to return to the supplier for them to send back to Hornby for repair as whilst the motor and gears within the body work fine the driving wheels do not move