Hornby Goes Gauge 1!

LCDR

Just received an email from Hornby, they will be selling a Hogwarts train set, Hall class loco with Mark 1 carriages, battery powered radio controlled on plastic track and at Gauge 1.

I thought it looked familiar, it is a Lionel product, US manufacturers of model trains with a long association with Tri-ang in the old days. 

I already have a Lionel Gauge O version in GW livery, but mine is three rail electric. 

Sounds really wacky, and at £150 it sounds like a fun thing to play with.

Get real chaps, are we kidding ourselves? Model railways ARE toys, toys for big girls and boys but toys nevertheless, they are not one of life's essentials. I am not ashamed to admit that I will occasionally (well frequently) play with trains, and it is always for amusement. As a pastime it cannot really be described as a sport, although it can occasionally get quite competative, 

Some people keep a high powered sports car, for runs out at the weekend but wouldn't dream of taking it to the supermarket, so that too is a toy, and what are these boxes of tricks that plug into the telly so one can blast away at invading aliens or fight dragons or zombies in cyberspace? Surely these are toys.

The Harry Potter Gauge 1 set is not age defined. In fact the advertisement specifically says it is for boys and girls of all ages. The Harry Potter series of books was originally conceived as a children's story but appeals to adults as well. I can see the set being incorporated into future Christmas decorations as it only requires a space slightly larger than 6 feet by 4 feet. 

Let us continue to play with our trains and have fun.

Well said LC&DR. Alongside my 'serious' models I have quite a large collection of OO and HO clockwork locomotives from various manufacturers with the appropriate fun rolling stock. That's how I got into model railways as a child as a step up from push along. I did have some BIG BIG train equipment but when there were no batteries left the clockwork ones were out!

Setting up a layout with various loops using Playcraft sectional track (12.75" radius including the points) and letting them go round is very therapeutic. No power supply problems, no batteries, just highly colourful toys doing exactly what they were designed to do. I always feel more chilled out after a session running them. 

I still think the Jouef  set i had as a child with the D6100 clockwork diesel, two bright red French coaches and a car transporter with level crossing and large oval of track was my favourite set I ever had. The mechanism was fantastic and it ran better then the hornby clockwork locos I had then. Some of the clockwork top tanks I have now are very fast and without a couple of wagons in tow will fly off the track. They have the same mechanism as all the other Tri-ang and Hornby locos so why they are so different  I don't know. 

With the weather forecast tomorrow I doubt we'll be doing anything so I might get some out for a change!

Yes, that sounds like a good idea.

I have some of Tri-ang Prmary Series clockwork and the Playcraft diesel shunter, but not the D6100 although I will certainly buy one if I find one at a toy fair. I do have the electric version though. 

I love old gauge O tinplate clockwork, it is what I grew up with and have aquired a lot to replace that which I destroyed when I was younger.

I have also got a lot of the wooden railway, ostensibly for my younger grand children to play with, but guess who helps them!

• 5 months later...