GBRf Class 66, Captain Tom Moore arrives...

JJ73

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine has just been delivered ,first email said Monday then I had another saying today ,very nice loco ,nothing special other than being named captain tom and the livery ,but there are a couple of let say ' gifts ' inside the box ,I won't say what ,I'll leave it as a surprise.

Ard,

I noticed a few yesterday between £95 and £110 and only one was giving 10% to the NHS. I will take a look on Ebay now but double the price? I really hope no-one pays that.

PS: Someone did pay £150, let themselves run away with the bidding.

As a side issue, I watched a youtube video about adding TTS sound to the Hornby Class 66, and with the addition of a base reflex speaker (better than that provided), it sounded pretty good.  My Class 66 is one of the "failed payment" models - so will be on the phone tomorrow.

I have been emailed to say mine is arriving on Monday so look forward to that. I am nervous about it following the debacle of my Adams Tank (just posted the saga). I am looking forward to getting it and have a TTS chip to fit it plus a supposed better speaker.

I am more of a steam/green diesel fan but do like the corrugated shed 66s. I still have the "Evening Star" to commission that I bought last year.

Don't understand why some are getting on their high horse about these being sold. Whether you bought one to keep or bought one to sell you still contributed exactly the same amount to the charity. Of course the idea you are a good person contributing to charity as long as you get something in return hardly gives anyone the right to claim the moral high ground. All sounds a bit too much like ‘I play the national lottery because they give so much to good causes’. If contributing to the NHS fund was the primary reason anyone bought one of these they why did they not just forget the loco and contribute the entire amount.  Of course it was not, you get a loco for no more than you would pay normally and get to feel good about yourself at the same time. The only people whom this cost money and got nothing in return was Hornby. Well probably they get to write it off against tax too I don’t really know.

I had an email from DPD on behalf of Hornby on Saturday that said clearly mind would be delivered today. However when you follow up the tracking links it says we have not yet received your parcel. Some incorrect info there somewhere. My account states dispatched.

I had an email from DPD on behalf of Hornby on Saturday that said clearly mind would be delivered today. However when you follow up the tracking links it says we have not yet received your parcel. Some incorrect info there somewhere. My account states dispatched.

I'm seeing exactly the same on mine... was looking forward to getting it today too.

DPD who Hornby use as couriers get a flag to say an order is being actioned at Hornby via them and they tell you if you have the app or by email alert if not.

The first flag invariably says DPD has been notified the order is being worked but not recieved by them,w then if you check later in the day it will have left their local depot for onwards to your regular national distribution hub leading eventually to your local depot and then to your doorstep.

All pretty standard delivery events these days. The whole caper can take as long as three days.

DPD, the same here. They email you when they have been asked to collect, then email again, when at their delivery point    They will not be doing so for this loco, as i  have not ordered anything  new, for some time. Difficult fitting in, running the 100, that i have.

Just got mine (had it delivered to my Lovely Neighbour) & Now about to open it & do a review of it!!!

@ MyStickKnight... :- Why are you amazed that some folks can't spell??? Not every 1 is clever like you  - folks do have different levels of disability you know!!! Just b/c you might be able to spell every word in the English Dictionary - doesn't mean every 1 else can!!!

TBH JJ, it's nice to have spontaneous comments, which contribute to the nice flow of some of the threads, but these days, there's spellcheck, and when in doubt, just check on Google anyway.

I'm not a walking dictionary, and my fingers can miss-type at times, and I certainly don't know every word I use, but when in doubt, I Google it.

Moving on - let's see the goods, and what are the extras - the Gold ticket perchance?

Al.

Well Al Here is a Photo of 'the goods' as you put it!!!

/media/tinymce_upload/ccbb35d008fe325318cbaf562b603ada.JPG

Well with out giving too much away - obviously you get a 'Certificate of Authenticity' as b/c it is a ltd edition of 1 of 3500!!! You do get a ticket - but sadly NOT a Golden Ticket but is does get you some money off the Hornby Web site & another type of ticket - you will have too see my Review Video when I have finished to see more!!! 😉 🤐

Also I'm not well informed about Diesels  as I am about Steam Locos - with my Green D5531 on the left - that is its smoke outlet on top & with my newer Cap. Tom Moore on the right - that's its Exhaust Pipe yes???

/media/tinymce_upload/061782c9e1972474e239520036f7d50a.JPG

Mine is still showing as on pre-order with Hornby.  I imagine they did run off the entire 3500 units at the factory in one go, wouldn't think they would want to muck about changing toolings, painting, printing, etc.  Maybe just taking a while to get that many pre-orders processed and out the door, in addition to their regular flow of website orders.

HK.

Looking very good - thanks JJ.

Exhaust?

Check out other fairly recent locomotives - Hornby's own Class 60 for example.

It is true they're probably nearly 3x as powerful as the good old Brush Type 2 Class 31 A1A-A1A, but it seems to be the preferred packaging of engines nowadays - majority of the muffler / silencer more accessible - presumably relating to materials used and preference of location.

Al.

I got the same notification after the original one last week saying it had arrived at Hornby, but then nothing. I contacted DPD but they confirmed that they had never received a package for me from Hornby. I emailled Customer Service yesterday to ask if I should be concerned - stony silence in response. Has anyone else had the same problem with a promised delivery and then nothing !?