GBRf Class 66, Captain Tom Moore arrives...

JJ73

DPD is one of the most ridiculous delivery firms I have delivering. They tell you one thing one day and then eventually start to get their deivery sequence correct. According to them it was to be delivered yesterday by 11.00 am. NO, that was the pick up time from Hornby. Then today it was at the Birmingham hub at 09.30. Now Geoff is delivering it to me between 11.02 1nd 12.02. So it is travelling 90 miles in 90 minutes with such accuracy of timing.  Why don't they just miss out the garb inbetween and notify you the day it will be delivered. Royal Mail is so much better to keep track of.  Geoff who though?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, apologies here re DPD. I had the time wrong, it was 11.42-12.42. The driver started out late this morning and arrived at my home dead on 11.42. He also pointed out that they must not deliver before the set time. So well done Geoff spot on timing even though the update emails can be a bit confusing 😳

Mine's arrived right in the middle of DPD's estimated slot so that's fine  😀  

Looks nice, not tested it yet but when I removed the loco from the packaging the power bogie sideframe moulding was loose / unclipped with the middle wheels free in the box  ☹️     It doesn't worry me particularly and I've sorted it out, I know this can happen sometimes and I have decades of experience servicing model locos, but for someone else it might have been a bit disconcerting.

Now just waiting for the N gauge version to be completed by another well known firm  😉

Mine arrived today.

I had received an email from Hornby informing me that it was out for delivery with DPD.

I then received an email from DPD a while later letting me know that it would be delivered on Tuesday, 11th.

On the Tuesday morning I received another email from DPD letting me know that my parcel would be delivered between 1pm and 2pm.

At 1.35pm there was a knock on the door and the parcel was handed over.

I am really pleased with my purchase.

I am not a modern traction enthusiast, but this will stay within my collection.

Thank you Hornby, I for one am very pleased and impressed with your donations to the NHS Charity.

😆

Thank you

I got mine today. Very excited about it. But unfortunately when I opened the box the loco was damaged. One of the lower body end skirts is snapped off. Minor detail, but a bit upset. 

Have contacted Hornby and will see what they say. 

I cannot say how pleased with this model I am and looking forward to adding TTS etc. I ran it up on my Hornby rolling road and all seems good to me. Hornby I think have done everyone proud with this model including the extra goodies. I do wish reviewers on YouTube would not decry a so called lack of detail - if they want it then pay the price - this is a super special at an affordable price for us all to enjoy in celebration of a great man's achievements and in support of his charities. A job well done Hornby - thank you!

Received mine on Tuesday, very pleased with the look of it although not yet removed it from it's clamshell.  Did find a piece on the carpet after I removed trhe loco from the box, so will now have to check from whence it came!  Also will look at the body moulding more closely just to make sure everything is OK.

Love the way Hornby have used this great model as a donation initiative, great stuff

Rod

Hopefully mine will be here later!

Should have been here yesterday but I had an apologetic SMS to say there was a delay and I can now see it spent 18hrs at Birmingham Hub............at Dundee 08:30 this morning which is pretty good going considering the storms...... hopefully last nights weather has not caused too much disruption as it was pretty wild and it will get out to me by teatime!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to my first OO locomotive in 35 years......

At least DPD apologise, when Royal Mail are going to be late with a delivery such as 24h Tracked I get an email to tell me I requested the delivery delayed to the following day. I don’t mind it being delayed as I live in the middle of nowhere and don’t expect the same service as living in a city but why the charade.

Mine arrived about 18.00 on Wednesday and looks great!

As I mentioned , this is my first OO model for quite some time. OO isn't really my thing anymore but still have plenty kicking around from my youth. I wanted to support this initiative and like many others, I wanted to have a model as a reminder of these strange times.....

I have added TTS, glued on the nameplates and swapped out the front coupler for a Kadee. Now it can take its turn with my HO ALCos, GEs and EMDs. If its of any interest, I have Ltd Ed Certificate 0027. There's definitely no correlation between time order was placed and model number!!! Its also not shed any axle-boxes yet..............

Well done to GBRf, Hornby and of course Capt Tom.

@ Atom - Oh ok - I get you now - thank you  😀

@ Vespa :- Hiya - My number is a much HIGHER number than yours - you's got a really LOW number!!! My Number is 2225 - but I don't know / not sure what differance it makes thou - just makes it interesting!!!  😀

@ Ntp... :- Sorry to see / here about your damaged Loco - NO that is NOT good - you don't wan't to be buying a BRAND new Loco (Specially it is a Special Loco for the NHS)  with a scratch!!! You've just made me look carefully at mine for Scratches & 'Glue Marks' (Which is 1 of Sam's Trains Pet Hates!!!) I don't have any of that on my Loco 😀 Thank you for that  😀

@ Bulver :- Did you find where that 'missing piece' went & what was that piece???

@ Ello :- Hiya - where abouts did you glue on the 2 extra 'Name Plates' on your Loco - Just wondering - Thanks

@JJ

The etched plates are intended to go over the existing printed ones on the loco bodysides. I used a tiny amount of superglue applied with a cocktail stick. The suggestion in the box of using blu tack just seemed a little silly to me!

You can of course put them anywhere - maybe one on each end..............

It depends if you want the plates on permanently, or if you may wish to change.

In this case I don't think there will ever be a need to change the name - that model locomotive was made specifically to be Tom.

State the obvious but be very careful of 'glue on fingers' if that's the way you're going and check the fit / overlap without first.  Alignment is key.

Using Blu Tack?  I use Black Tack - Hornby do as well occasionally to hold wires, etc.  May be 'the same' but seems stronger.  Just the smallest slither, and I stretch to finely cover the majority of the back of the plate, then place. It can move if you grip the locomotive on the plates, but can be moved back.  It works well.

Al.

It must be just the luck of the draw with regards courier deliveries. In my experience DPD is streets ahead of other courier firms - always deliver when they say and very polite courier. My package arrived four minutes into the hour slot.

Double-sided tape can be used, especially where the nameplate is square or rectangular - as in this case.

I got the same notification after the original one last week saying it had arrived at Hornby, but then nothing. I contacted DPD but they confirmed that they had never received a package for me from Hornby. I emailled Customer Service yesterday to ask if I should be concerned - stony silence in response. Has anyone else had the same problem with a promised delivery and then nothing !?

Not had a promised delivery, but my order still shows as pre-order and no response from my email to them yet on whats happening to my order. On rmweb someone else reported the same issue and was told by Hornby that there order was actuall only on the reserve waiting list and not an actual pre-order, so i want to see. Also been told that all of the 3500 have been shipped, so if you haven't got it yet then you won't be getting one.

My order went in on May 1st - my Limited Edition Certificate is No.3289.

May 1st was the date of the announcement by Hornby - so I ordered straight away - obviously makes no difference when you ordered as to whether you got a high or low certificate number - the certificate number does not concern me at all.