Tip for you all

Money saving tip for those of you making electronic circuits for your model railway. Decades ago I worked in IT in a very senior role, when I scrapped old company PC's I used to salvage everything of use for the IT department spares bins and my MD let me have whatever I needed for home usage.

Nowadays when I make pre-production prototype pcb's I use LED's salvaged from old PC cases. Simply unplug and use again when building the next prototype as most of the cases had LED's ready fitted with connectors. it saves soldering in LED's.

forum_image_6040f9a98d218.png.7a5140110b7e191cff84935bdbaff20e.png

CD drawer tray motor with linear drive components.

Good idea, but one would have to fore-shorten the travel somehow as 00 points tie bars only throw 3.5 mm.

My home grown motor driven point idea is to use the screw-thread to drive a 3.5 mm thick ramp that moves the tie bar. The length of the ramp determines the time it takes to change the point.

There then obviously needs to be a limit switch at each end of travel to stop the drive motor.

CD drawer tray motor with linear drive components.

Good idea, but one would have to fore-shorten the travel somehow as 00 points tie bars only throw 3.5 mm.
My home grown motor driven point idea is to use the screw-thread to drive a 3.5 mm thick ramp that moves the tie bar. The length of the ramp determines the time it takes to change the point.
There then obviously needs to be a limit switch at each end of travel to stop the drive motor.

I think I'll just stick with the commercial offerings joy