Model rail shops

Hi all

Just wondered if any of you know of a decent sized model railway shop.

Especially south of england or as far as the midlands

I know Gaugemaster has one which I visited recently its not bad but quite expensive even compared to my local shop. I know Hattons is huge but that's way up north and a bit far to go in a day.

Just be nice to go have a browse at a decent sized store and part with some savings :)

Cheers

Great Eastern Models of Norwich, highly recommended, not huge but always a good stock at good prices and very knowledgable and friendly staff. My local.

Trains4U at Peterborough, a little bigger in an industrial unit sized shop. Worth a visit if you are in the area.

If you fancy a day out "down south" go over to Alton and into the Alton Model Shop in High Street. It is a short walk away from the Watercress Line as well, so doubly brilliant.

If you are in the Poole area, pop over to Model Railway Solutions. Steve always has a good selection of products from all the manufacturers.

You can also have a day at the seaside as well !

sunglassesgrinning Two excellent shops grinningsunglasses

Hi Luke, as you may be interested in planes as well trains, have you considered attending model railway exhibitions. Also collectors/ toy fairs which also may have model planes, if that is also your interest.

At the moment because of covid they have been suspended, but seem to be reopening late summer/autumn.

I have been attending collector fairs for over 30 years, and yes you do have to pay for admission usually £2 upwards, but there can be 50 to 500 stall holders.Usually model railways is well represented, prices are very competitive.Lots of new and used items. There are pitfalls, no guarantees some times,

most times not able to test model. For me it is a enjoyable day out as I get to speak to knowledgable, like minded people.

Regards

Hi all thanks for the info and what shops to look at. Ill be checking some out for sure.

I just prefer now that we can to go visit a shop instead of online.

As mentioned im looking forward to when model exhibitions start again. Ill be looking out for some to go visit.

I live in Hampshire but distance isnt an issue.

Cheers for the info all :)

Rop, Norfolk Coast Models won't be opening for the moment, spoke to the owners. They are busy setting up cabinets in a shop near Cambridge at the moment. There simply isn't enough trade in their own area for a shop from what I have been told by them. Their area has a load of model railway shops, a big shop in Peterborough nearby, a shop at Swineshead, March, Boston, King's Lynn, Hunstanton, Ely, Norwich, Dereham, Sheringham, Cromer and one in Downham market, the area is extremely well covered. Support from the local model railway clubs groups has been from what I can gather non-existant for another shop, so their area isn't viable. They told me the area which is a poverty pay minimum wage, high unemployment area, it simply won't support another shop.