Ideas how to catalogue a collection.

Hi All, I am asking how other members catalogue their model railway items.

For years I have written down items in a dedicated notebook. Most of the items I have are Hornby, so I have used their R number as a reference, starting at R1 and adding to the list in numerical order.

I am now looking for a suitable digital way to input it into a I pad or lap top.

I would not want a complicated program or if possible not purchase/rent a program, not really very good with computers so the easier the better.

Would it best to list say as loco type or stick with the R number order.

Any Ideas would appreciated.

Hello New Lad. I use both my PC and "hard copy" ring -binders to catalogue my collection. The latter for fear of PC failure (although backed up).

I find the hard copy more pleasurable to look through as I have printed photos and recorded details of the locos in real life, largely gathered from Wikileaks and magazine articles. But each man to his own choice.

I just have a "word document" that I add to whenever I purchase rolling stock and buildings (Skaledale/Scenecraft). It currently runs to six pages of A4 - single spacing. R number followed by Class, Name and Number, price paid, and the date I physically received the loco. I also show whether a loco has had a decoder fitted and the number given to that loco - this information is in a different colour to the general text.

You could create a spreadsheet, but you could end up with a bottom-line showing "total spent" (might even give yourself a fright) - and that is not something you would want others to seethinking_face

R2466   BR Merchant Navy Class – General Steam Navigation – 35011 DCC Ready £97.50 (Purchased 15/10/2013) 

A word document with the following headed columns:- Item Number, Make & Catalogue Number, Model, Comments, Rarity, Original Box, Value. - this you can get on A4 horizontal. The item number corresponds to that on a tiny sticky label on the item base. If you have much stock you can amplify the item number with an additional coloured dot. Small sticky labels up to

100 and coloured sticky dots available from WHS or Ryman.

@BB - leaving off the total is a good idea...I worked out I've only spent £2685 buying cars in the 34yrs I've been driving...spent a bit more keeping them going..smiley Wouldn't want to see what I've spent on trains or Malbec and Marlboro...........

As to trains, I've several word documents. Spanish HO - my current fad - other HO and OO. Categorised by type and nationality/operator rather than manufacturer with just ref: number and description. Really should get one for N and H0e/009! What I also should set up is a service and operations record. DCC addresses are somewhere else that can easily be lost..

At the moment I have an Excel spreadsheet for DCC loco addresses. So I use the same for listing the locos. As to pricing them, I must admit I haven't at the moment but there is the point that if something nasty happens to you it might by useful to however has to sort out your stuff. If lets say you have a loco worth about £100 probably at current market values nearer £200 and it contains a Zimo or LokSound decoder, to the average person it looks like a £10 special not realising that effectively the locos replacement value is nearer £300. On a couple of occasions I have bought a second hand loco, to open it up and find a Zimo or Loksound decoder. Lets not forget even if the sound decoder doesn't work, you can trade it in for a new one for £30.00, so effectively a broken one is worth £70.00.

Digitrains Pro, You can create just a simple list of your loco`s if that is what you want, You can also add photos etc and just ignore the rest of the other things it can do right up to running your entire layout. it is a free download and works with android tablets and Windows 10

Keeping a record (preferably off-site) is sensible because, if catastrophe strikes, an insurer will want evidence of the extent of the collection. Most insurers require the value of collections to be declared on proposal or renewal forms - failure to declare can result in a claim being refused. Most insurance policies are on a new for old basis so the acquisition cost is probably irrelevant. Having said that I do generally keep a note of expense simply to ensure that I do not exceed my self imposed average cost limit of £8.00 per loco, £4.50 per carriage and £2.50 per wagon. As you will guess, the vast majority are mongrels made from parts (i.e. rubbish) from train fairs and the like, but their replacement cost would be enormous because there are 90 odd locos, 50 odd carriages and well over 200 wagons. However you keep your records, do ensure that in the event of disaster they cannot go west with your collection, so that you can prove your loss to the insurer. I just keep a simple list and photograph things as they are added to the collection. An insurer cannot argue with a photographic record.

Hi Jimbo.

Cobbling things from rubbish certainly keeps waste from landfills. It's also great fun BUT ferociously addictive. Be warned - If you start you will never stop. I've been at it for over ten years, have far more stock than I will ever use yet still keep churning out all manner of things. This weekend's tally was a GCR Director (white metal kit on a Triang L1 chassis), a GWR Prairie (Airfix kit body on an Airfix GMR chassis) and 3 Triang based Jinties. They need painting but are otherwise complete and all running perfectly. There's another 3 Jinties to finish this week, a banana box containing another 17 complete kits of parts for a variety of locos, and two banana boxes full of spare parts . The great thing is that one can re-wheel, re-motor and detail up as far as one wishes - or not at all if one chooses. I mark up some items as being surplus to requirements and therefor liable to be dismantled again if parts are needed for other projects - no-one needs 9 Jinties. It creates a sort of mobile spares store and keeps down the space needed to store spares. Whilst I have previously kept to my £8.00 per loco average, it has to be said that last year I was forced to buy from online auction sites and stuff was very expensive so the average cost is likely soon to approach £10.00 per loco unless train fairs come back.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks MartKS, just had a look at MTC. Very comprehensive. Are you connected in any way with this company? R-

No not at all I just come across it few years ago, thought free try give it ago, liked it and I brought it. I have been in contact via email asking?

Hi Loving the Model Train Catalogue V2.08 Which I purchased on 30/01/21 after using the trial one 

I Think I'm getting to grips with the pc app. 

My Question is: Is there any way I could a video link in the app so I could add 

short video to the locomotive info logs.

Reply:

MTC Support <support@MTC

Sat, 26 Jun, 07:14

to me

HI, Martin

That's an interesting challenge.

I will look into ways of doing this.

Thanks for the idea.

Regards

Roger