rvinalaff

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quite liked the vaporising steam unit.

Curiously the sound unit in the Lord Nelson seemed a lot better than that in use now - close to 8 chuffs per revolution as it should be.

Unfortunate that the water only permitted 2 minutes' 'steam vapour' if I remember - that's nothing wrt a normal run.

I suppose the upcoming W1 will have a lot more room for a bigger reservoir.

Al.

Cat is well and truly out of the bag about the atomising steam unit. The running time target is nearer 20 minutes, so I guess that take was early doors in the project. The problem is each module will be bespoke to a particular R-range, and tied to factory sound, so very unlikely that there will ever be a generic retro-fit unit. The basic water feature misting unit tech has been around a long time, just held back from 00 locos until the parts, in particular the control circuitry, were miniaturised enough to fit at cheap enough cost.

TTS improves at each release - much more to come. More than that I cannot say, but you noted the improved sound quality and will have noted last week they showed a new speaker and custom enclosure. ESU do a similar size speaker with a customisable enclosure in the meantime. Roads and Rails is currently flogging them at a bargain price of a couple of quid apiece if you buy four. Or you can buy the basic speaker and make your own plasticard box for it.

forum_image_616e755a1ed90.thumb.png.4b61ee0bb3887e68972244742d05a091.png

Maybe the 2022 range announcement will fill in any other secrets that the program doesn’t let slip.

Yesterday I saw an announcement during a commercial break saying that 'subtitles' would be returning shortly. No specific timeframe was quoted.

I think if they can create a generic, or series of generic 'this-fits-that' vaporising units, the next thing is to optimise the water capacity.

As it's cold vaporised water, I presume this is quickly condensing, and that includes on the tracks - will we be getting active sanders as well?

Al.

• 2 weeks later...

I have watched the first three episodes with interest and have found them engaging, but i do have one complaint, in all three a product is discussed but none give the timeline involved from discussion to product release. I know from discussions at the various shows i have been fortunate to attend that we are talking anywhere from six months to two or three years particularly if new tooling is required but no sense of this is given in the show, or at least to date. It is possible a later episode may discuss this but for now a non-model railway enthusiast may not realise just how much effort is put into producing a model.

The show commenced recording over a year ago so obviously it would be looking at future products which at the time were secret, so there was a cloak of confidentiality over the show contents. At the time I don’t even suppose they had a firm production schedule as some of the product might not even make production.

We have seen some future products showcased like the new speakers and the atomising steam unit and no doubt there will be other revelations as the episodes are shown.

The big reveal of course is the January 2022 product range launch which will hopefully give us more information and timescales to production for these new items.

Sam was busy trying for a Superspeed A4 ... putting 30V through it ... length of track just wasn't long enough - should have put it in the garden or something with a few carriages ...

Agreed with JJ, quite entertaining.

RAF would have enjoyed this one? A Spit, even viewing a Clipped Wing, and a Hawker Hunter no less!

Al.

I like the later Mk Spitfire with the bubble canopy. A five bladed prop with a Griffon behind it tells of the ultimate versions. There was one of each parked up in the hangar at Cambridge for a while and when I walked guests round the works we always diverted through that hangar.

Odd how it appeared to be Simon’s Hunter when in fact it was bought privately by Llyndon, who is keeping his head down in this series. They will need a bit of steelwork installing if they want to mount it on top of Hornby Towers.

I thought Sam’s A4 malarkey was a waste of film and may have encouraged younger members to try similar, possibly with dire results.

Nice to see other folk bodging things - I am not alone.

Did you notice how the whole of Hornby appears to be chaotic, desks and work benches just like mine, shelves full of stuff I may never get round to, etc.

I agree with 96RAF the article with Sam was a waste of time. It was also misinformation, raising the voltage to 20 volts should not blow the "breakers" in a domestic house supply. I am even more surprised by Sam lowering his credibility by doing it. More likely that the variable power supply that Sam was using had an internal mains fault. As for the guy trying to fix the EMU it didn't look like he knew what he was doing. Generally to get those bogies out, I normally carefully pull in the top tabs with a pair of long nosed pliers and push down, but you have to do it very carefully, levering against any bit of plastic on a Hornby loco is bad news and he should know that. I often wonder if these events are staged for TV, like when I was watching the Brooklands program and the guy didn't know which spanner to use. Trouble is events like that put me off watching the program.

I have to agree that the Sam’s Trains section was an absolute waste of time.

I bet the two staff in the repair section at Margate will be swamped by burnt out motors and decoders from people emulating his antics.

I find it quite hard watching - not as bad as the Model Railway Challenge, but cringeworthy nonetheless.

It's nothing to do with Hornby, but the manner in which the production values frame the protagonists and us, the community; the false suspense, excessive hyperbole, caricature-ification of people - I feel it sets us up to be mocked by any audience that isn't part of the community it's focussed on.

Instead of being engaging and accessible, i feel its framed in a way that sets the modelling community apart.

samfieldhouse I agree with you entirely I was thinking exactly that after the program. Once you start dealing in DCC with sound decoders and controllers it becomes a relative complex hobby. We all know if you put more volts on a motor it will go faster, it is just how long before it blows up that is the unknown factor. Even wiring up a straight DC layout has its issues, especially with points and isolating sections. I watched that Brooklands program, as I say I watched a guy trying to work out which spanner to use on a vintage motorcycle, anyone who repairs classic motobikes knows that the only problem area for spanners is around 1969 to 1970 when the industry was changing over from whitworth to AF. Trouble is some people think it makes good television.

Watching the program it appears there is very little cross fertilisation between different designers which probably explains why a good mechanical feature on one loco design doesn't seem to get implemented on the others. I still can't believe that they don't use a standard motor between models. Yes I know they won't always fit, but in many cases with a bit of effort they could make it so, it would probably also increase reliability.

Agreed about the motors Colin.

I reckon they could get away with two basic motors, low power, high power, each with single ended or double ended shafts, so four variants.

If these were quality motors, instead of the cheap and bin-it variety, that were capable of some maintenance with as a minimum replacement brushes and springs then reliability of the overall loco would rise accordingly and return to works for warranty repairs would reduce.

Such motors were used in Monogram slot cars in the 60/70s and can still be sourced to date, so not a major logistics problem for Hornby to implement.

Some specific winding specs would be required to suit locos rather than slot cars, but all very possible.

Revel Pittman and then early Scalextric used a variant of the Airfix / X0 series motors.

Typical slot car motor with screws holding the can to end plate, replaceable springs and brushes as well as shaft bearings.

forum_image_618ab94ea0c58.png.f35b6a5b70d84eeceacd4665b68a9896.png

Come on Hornby make it happen.

Well, apart from all the negativity, I thought the Program was in part entertaining, informative and interesting showing ordinary folk doing what they do in various aspects of modelling. It is what it is and I, like thousands of others, look forward to the upcoming episodes.....thinking_face.......HB

I thought the program wasn’t bad, nice to see some faces involved in the production of our favourite models.

The young lads model looked very good considering his age and experience and I’m sure he’s only going to get better with time.

Has for Sam well I think I’ll leave that one..

Look forward to next week’s episode.