Track cleaning frequency

Brew Man

I wasn't sure whether to post this in General or here in DCC, but I guess it relates slightly more to the latter. I ran some trains yesterday for the first time in almost a week and there was a lot of stopping and starting from all three locos that I had out. I've put this down to dirty track though I only cleaned it not so long ago - maybe a month. So, question, how often do members find it necessary to give their track the once over?

Thanks for your thoughts.

DCC is the correct location for this question, because DCC is so much more susceptible to dirty rail induced issues than Analogue DC. DCC cleaning regime is then usually more frequent.

I find I get best results if I clean my track before each and every running session, if more than one day apart. Sometimes it is only necessary to remove surface dust with a clean paint brush or similar, but if I then experience running hesitations, then the track rubber and/or IPA rag comes out of the tool box.

Thanks for that. So how highly do you rate the track rubber? I've been following Rob's method of using the rough side of a piece of hardboard. It seems to work quite well.

Good to know though that I'm being somewhat lax in my regime.

It does promote a second question. What about inaccessible or hard-to-get-at places such as tunnels? The only way round that I can see is to build such landscapes so that they are removable, thus exposing the track beneath.

I use the PECO Track Rubber, it works fine for me.

I also have a 'Sharge UK' track cleaner for reaching unaccesable areas. But since these areas are covered, dust is less of an issue, and for me these areas are cleaned less frequently.

The Sharge cleaner is similar to the solid brass CMX cleaner [uSA] but significantly cheaper as made of steel.

Products | Sharge uk

My lazy regime is to clean the track when I see dodgy running. I also then check the wheels of the locos in use. Probably a bit late by then, but I was brought up on a condition monitored servicing methodology (fix it when it breaks), which took over from preventative maintenance methods (oil it to death and change it before it wears out).

I tried loads of things. In the end I found Peco track rubbers were the best. I had a tunnel that I had an issue with, bought the Woodland Scenics kit but that didn't work that well. In the end I glued another Peco Track rubber on a length of wood and did it that way. Since then I found just a daily run keeps it clean.

The rate at which the track gets dirty depends upon usage, location and climate conditions.

I clean my track with a track rubber, which enter our house back in the 1950s, a spectacle cleaning cloth with 100% IPA and a Sharge unit with 75% IPA.

How do I tell it's dirty, well certain locos will tell you or just rub a finger on the track and look at it, if black clean.

Long Answer

The Sharge track cleaner is not made by a company, as such, for widespread wholesale distribution. The cleaner was originally made by a sole trader building them in his personal home workshop [when I purchased mine I had fairly extensive dialogue with the maker]. He then sold the sole product selling rights to the current seller so that he could concentrate on making them and not have to use increasing resources to manage marketing, sales, shipping as well as manufacturing. But at the present time I can not remember who the sole seiling rights were given to. If I can remember I will edit this post later with an update.

Short Answer

No, you cannot buy it brand new from elsewhere.

I confirm the site is down, my online site checker confirms it. I suggest waiting till tomorrow and trying again.

If it doesn't come back after a week, then maybe the product has been discontinued. When I had my dialogue with the sole trader maker, he was a retired elderly engineer, so maybe he has passed away and the website pulled. When I gave my first reply mentioning the Sharge cleaner in this thread, the website was working then as I checked, so I suspect (hope) it is just a temporary site issue.

I had a discussion with Margaret Sharp in mid-December about a slight problem I had with the cleaner so they were going fine then.

Maybe they do what I used to do when I worked and taken a 2 week break in January.

You could try emailing them at "sharp.deano@cannymarge.plus.com"

They are usually quick to reply.

I do seem to have a vague recollection of seeing the "Wordpress" site error message before [not necessarily the Sharge site] and it lasted several days before the site in question came back.

@westernwill

Many thanks for the email link. I sent them a message and got an almost instant reply. The website problem is temporary and due to an upgrade of the Wordpress software, (which they didn't know about until I brought it to their attention). I'll be ringing them on Monday to make alternative arrangements.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for info, I've had a look at the Sharge website and can report that it is back up and running. I'm only just getting round to testing my unit as I wanted to wait until my track needed a clean, which I think is about now.

@Brewman

@Chrissaf

I was just reading and came across this thread, I checked the Sharge website and I was in bit of shock that HO/OO Gauge Cleaner is £105.00 Plus £5.90 postage. Isn't that bit expensive, I am sure if I make the effort I could convert any carriage to Track Cleaner using Cleanin Pad for £4.00 plus postage.

Maybe I am finding it bit expensive others may be OK with the price.

I hope I am not offending anyone with my opinion or comments.

Regards

@Brewman

As for the original question of frequency of cleaning, I only have test track at the moment because I am still not sure how big or wide or type of layout I will making.

Cleaning is almost every day to get smooth running of Loco when I am testing after the service. Doesn't matter using DC or DCC.

Regards

@Deem

The Sharge Track Cleaner is in essence a clone of the American made CMX Cleaner. The CMX is considered the "Gold Standard" to compare with.

The Sharge is about half the price of a CMX unit.

When I purchased my Sharge, circa 2013 to 2015 I paid about £75 whilst the CMX at the same time was £135. Inflation and general cost increases inevitably push up prices, as many threads and posts are currently discussing.

Nearly 10 years has passed since my original purchase and the price difference between the Sharge and the CMX is still the same at about half.

The CMX is now very difficult to find on sale in the UK now. Maybe because sales have significantly dropped off as a result of the competing Sharge unit hitting the market at a significantly cheaper price. The Sharge units are individually 'hand made' thus there is a high labour content.

A DIY conversion of a basic carriage is unlikely to be a fair comparison. The CMX is machined from solid brass. The Sharge is steel. Both have a liquid cleaner tank with an adjustable liquid cleaner flow valve. The cleaning pad is sprung loaded with adjustable tension with clamps to hold the washable / replaceable cleaning cloth in place.

These track cleaners have a high degree of engineering built into them. They are both very heavy to ensure firm and robust contact between the cleaning surface and the rails. Many members have made DIY track cleaners that they claim do a decent job, but once you experience the efficiency and results of the CMX & Sharge units which is a liquid based cleaner, then I doubt you would go back to a DIY dry pad solution [in my opinion].

@Chrissaf

As always, well thought, detailed with extremely important key points highlighted which make me understand the price. Will consider to buy in future.

Many Thanks Chrissaf

@Brew Man

Couldn't agree more, always have been firm believer that do extra research and pay little extra to have piece of mind, reliable and working all the time whatever you are buying. Sometime you do get unlucky but most of the time extra research pays off.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've had my Sharge cleaner for about a month now. I've only used it once as I'm currently laying track, so not running trains. However. it seemed to perform well. I used my biggest loco, a King Class and although it pulled the Sharge round the track there was a fair bit of wheel slip here and there. What class of loco do other Sharge users recommend for effortless pull/pushing of the Sharge?

Thanks