Big reductions at Hattons

VESPA

Is it a sign that Hornby are in trouble again? With the new ridiculous prices I assume they have lost massive sales as there is a limit to peoples pockets. Eg a coal wagon RRP £24 when Oxford do similar for £10. I think I know which I would buy.

Even if Hornby are in trouble, I don’t think the sales at Hattons is any indication of that. If you go to the bargains section on Hattons website, they have discounts and sales on all brands.

And I think Hornby is similar in regards to brands like Apple, ridiculously expensive, but people will always buy that brand. Say what you want about the product quality of Apple, some people love it, some people hate it. In my opinion, Hornby is the same, which is not necessarily a good thing.

One thing I have noticed about Hattons is that they don’t seem to have any of the Hornby 2022 range on pre-order. I’ve only been into this hobby for a short time, so I don’t know if this is just standard for Hattons.

I did see a YouTube video of a model shop, the name escapes me, that said they wouldn’t be stocking new Hornby products due to how expensive and unreliable they’ve become.

A few years back when they were in trouble they off loaded stock directly and at Hattons etc. I got 10 bogie bolsters for £30 at the time. These offers are a massive reduction on RRP and must be a Hornby warehouse clearance. I don't think Apple have any similar problems as there are always brand concious people who will pay daft prices for a particular brand. At present where I live, we have Mercedes mania. Most of those probably have very little savings and get their car on PCP just to appear wealthy.

One thing I have noticed about Hattons is that they don’t seem to have any of the Hornby 2022 range on pre-order. I’ve only been into this hobby for a short time, so I don’t know if this is just standard for Hattons.

As I understand it Hattons is now a Tier 3 retailer for Hornby and, as such, is not in a position to pre-order any new products from the Hornby range.

With respect to the Hornby items on sale at Hattons currently, it's likely Hornby are simply clearing surplus stock prior to end of financial year on 31st March.

HK.

I wondered where Hattons were getting these models, so it appears off Hornby. The thing that surprised me was the actual recommended retail of the 01, it is about £126. I have one of these and they are brilliant locos. I would have bought another at Hattons bargain price but I decided I was just buying as it was cheap. So why is the 01 so cheap, it is a really nice loco.

I also wonder who does the pricing at Hattons. Last year I got a flyer in one of the magazines that had a loco at a silly low price that I was interested in so decided to check their website. They had exactly the same loco second hand priced higher than the new one on offer. Which would you have bought?

@DarkRedCape
Even if Hornby are in trouble, I don’t think the sales at Hattons is any indication of that.........

Maybe they're going the same way as Rails of Sheffield.

I spoke to a retailer recently who said he felt bullied by current terms.

He talked about reaching his credit limit and despite having no idea when the new stock he'd ordered would arrive, couldn't order anything further.

That in itself is an absolutely insane business model.

Similarly, he said he had limited choice in what stock he chose, and in what numbers.

For example, he couldn't order ten of what he knew would sell well without taking ten of that he didn't really want.

He was stuck between a rock and a hard place because he couldn't risk losing the associated brands, scalextrix, airfix etc.

This, if true and I've no reason to doubt him having come to know him for nearly two years, is no way to treat essential retailers/small model shops and isn't going to end well.

I don't think Hornby are in any more trouble than trying to reduce their stockholding before financial year end, as has already been mentioned - by no means a new phenomenon. Kernow have a similar listing with similar prices so the offers have been created by Hornby rather than the retailer. And it should be borne in mind that these are, in the main, 2020 releases so there is plenty of margin available to both Hornby and the retailer if the current RRP is the only comparator in establishing a "bargain" when the original trade price was set at least 3 price increases ago.

@Will Hay running a Model Shop must be problematic when dealing with Hornby, we see the shiny new catalogue but generally most of the items don't appear until a year later. I notice I am always getting mails from Rails to preorder this and that, trouble is they are even worse, sometimes the model doesn't appear until 3 years later. The big issue with all of this is you are basically buying something you have never seen, so you can quite often end up with a lemon as was the case with several Hornby models.

@ Will Hay

Having gone through the same process a good number of years ago, I see nothing wrong in Hornby setting a credit limit with each of its retailers until their ability to meet each month's payments satisfactorily for stock already received and most presumably sold has been proven. Hornby are in no position to risk unlimited bad debts.

@Going Spare no there is nothing wrong with Hornby setting a credit limit, but I suspect the issue is the delay between receiving preorders and actually coming up with the goods. Hornby seem to have a flurry about January time, I don't know if it because they misjudged shipping for Christmas then usually no activity for a couple of months. Then there is the issue of taking preorders for 10 customers and only receiving 8 actual items. I was watching a YouTube video from Rocket Railways where he was saying he had loads of interest in the APT only to find out he didn't get allocated any, even after appearing in the Hornby program. You cannot run a successful business if you constantly get let down by your supplier.

@Going Spare
Having gone through the same process a good number of years ago...............

Clearly I didn't explain myself correctly.

I'm not an idiot, I know how essential a credit limit is, but when you place orders for goods that may not arrive for months and, having not yet recieved that which you have ordered due to extended lead times, it makes no sense to refuse further orders until payment for goods actually received reach an agreed credit limit.

This *is* exactly how it's been described to me by the retailer although, quite clearly; his use of the term 'credit limit' is not *strictly* correct, certainly not in a conventional sense [as you have described and as we're all familiar with].

ColinB,

I didn't realise Rails OS were back working with Hornby, are you getting details of Hornby new releases from Rails?

Edit.

I thought I saw you mention Hornby in there, my mistake, maybe Hornby and Rails have separated for good.

The range has got too big, Hornby is trying to produce too much in a year, Tri-ang had it about right, not a massive range that fills a mini book as it is today. Tri-ang made enough models to satisfy the majority with the odd new model now and then. By culling the range, you can concentrate on getting more stock into shops and delivering what you promise on time. Don't give the overstocked or withdrawn items away at heavily reduced prices, but allow discontinued items to run out naturally at reduced but not give away prices.

Also by having a smaller range, more time can be spent on quality control. Resulting in less duff un's. Standardisation of screws, motors etc also helps cut production costs and eventually retail prices.

I agree with you "The son of Triangman" standardisation would lower costs, that is how Triang used to do it. The trouble is someone on RMWeb would complain that the sixth rivet on the valve train is missing (you probably can't see it when it is running). More and more each loco is a separate design, even with locos where in real life they would share components with other locos. I don't think the range is too big, because half of it doesn't exist. You get the catalogue, of which many items are last years models carried over, which generally have sold out. Then you have the pre orders which currently you don't see for about a year. That leaves a few that are still available. You could blame Covid for some of it, but I waited 3 years for the blue Merchant Navy which pre dates Covid.

I don’t know if it’s of any significance, but after I placed my most recent order, I went back onto Hattons within minutes because I couldn’t remember what the RRP of the Large Prairie I ordered was, and it had been removed from the bargains section.

So as mentioned in this thread already, I do believe this is older stock they are trying to clear.

Well thank you everyone - if SWMBO finds out, its rations for a month!!

Just purchased an R3739 Class 87 - fantastic model, and price. I'd been looking at these for a couple of years, but already have one 87, now there's a brace!!

My favourite locomotive in late teenage years at Liverpool Lime Street - compact and super powerful!

Al.