New Hornby magnetic couplings.

ColinB

It was Saturday so they wouldn't be there. Anyway something like that, they might have to ask a few people. I didn't even know they were making them for their coaches. I don't remember reading anything about it in their catalogue. I have ordered a new Maunsell dining car which supposedly comes with them, so I will see how they compare to the other make.

These were the guys who started the ball rolling:

https://www.westhillwagonworks.co.uk/hunt-couplings-c-2/hunt-couplings-buckeye-elite-oo-gauge-c-28/additional-pair-of-hst-powercar-buckeye-elite-couplings-p-133

I've had quite a few sets of theirs, with several issues:

1. Magnet pulling out of the socket.
  2. 3D-printed NEM clip loose in NEM socket, pulling out.
  3. Some occasional breakages in transit.

I'm sure they've observed and upgraded these same issues from others.

I've often superglued them into the NEM socket - limits options with that particular wagon / carriage in future but ensures no 'accidents'.

Al.

I'm not sure why people have raved so much about magnetic couplings. Presumably there is no possibility of automatic uncoupling, which tension locks will allow with an uncoupling ramp? Maybe we will one day see DCC operated electromagnetic couplings which will allow shunting anywhere on a layout?

The issue I have with NEM couplings on my layout is they are always uncoupling themselves. The old Triang couplings are really solid but the NEM ones seem to be a pain. I have tried the Hunt couplings and they work really well, the issue I have had with them is the build material, because the plastic is quite hard they don't have the springiness that say normal NEM couplings have, so they pull out of the holder.

The issue I have with NEM couplings on my layout is they are always uncoupling themselves. The old Triang couplings are really solid but the NEM ones seem to be a pain. I have tried the Hunt couplings and they work really well, the issue I have had with them is the build material, because the plastic is quite hard they don't have the springiness that say normal NEM couplings have, so they pull out of the holder.

Same issue for me. I stopped using them. Better quality plastic is needed.

I'm not sure why people have raved so much about magnetic couplings. Presumably there is no possibility of automatic uncoupling, which tension locks will allow with an uncoupling ramp? Maybe we will one day see DCC operated electromagnetic couplings which will allow shunting anywhere on a layout?

The only problem I see with that is that in order to keep the couplings magnetised and coupled they would require a constant power feed which could amount to quite a current drain over a busy layout.

Brewman I am assuming they use permanent magnets as per Hunt couplings. I also think they probably thought "that is a good idea" and from the looks of it made a slightly better product.

I got an answer from Hornby today, which is really quick. Yes they will be available but basically they don't know when. If they are a better implementation of the ones marketed by Hunt I am sure I will be buying lots. I like the idea and having used them, if they didn't pull out they are brilliant.

Brewman I am assuming they use permanent magnets as per Hunt couplings. I also think they probably thought "that is a good idea" and from the looks of it made a slightly better product.

Yes but I was talking about the electro-magnet suggestion that The Doc was making.

Your answer from Hornby was swift indeed.

Colin B I can't see how you can say the Hornby magnetic coupling is any better than the variety of options offered by Hunt Couplings. I have fitted these to many coaches and wagons and they perform faultlessly using just a single magnet and are far less conspicuous. That's my personal opinion anyway. Loose couplings can be held in with a dab of pva and allowed to dry will hold the coupling fast.

Well Sultan I won't know until I receive my new Hornby coach. I am hoping that they are made of better plastic that is a lot more flexible and not so brittle. The original Hunt ones weren't quite wide enough for the NEM slot in some of my Hornby coaches. I will let you know when I get the Hornby ones. I know I can use PVA glue to glue them in, someone mentioned it ages ago, I prefer not to do it.

• 9 months later...

I ordered 5 sets of the R7398 Buckeye Magnetic Coupling Packs, as I have 4 rakes of mk3 and 1 rake of mk4 coaches. Hornby describe them as "perfect accessory for Mark 3 or Mark 4 coaches and thusly any Intercity 125 or 225 consist".

They didn't fit ANY of the rakes of coaches as they've obviously designed for NEM couplings. It was only on contacting customer (slow to) care that they said the couplings are for NEM pockets, but there's nothing in the tech specs of the product description. Surely it's not beyond the realms of sense just to put something in the tech specs? Or are Hornby simply trying to play the numbers game and sucker us in by not giving full details?

they said the couplings are for NEM pockets, but there's nothing in the tech specs of the product description. Surely it's not beyond the realms of sense just to put something in the tech specs?

Sorry, but there is. Below is a copy paste of the R7398 product page 'Tech Specs' see the bold line at the bottom. Plus the product image is clearly showing a NEM coupling design.

Tech Specs

Item Length - Without Packaging (cm) 1

Item Height - Without Packaging (cm) 0.5

Item Width - Without Packaging (cm) 1

Item Scale 1:76 Scale 00 Gauge

Finish Painted

Colour Black

Gauge OO

Operator Hornby

Designer Hornby

Number of Parts 16

Coupling Type NEM Magnetic

I have got to admit I am usually hard on Hornby for getting things wrong. When I ordered them I assumed they would only be for NEM couplings because that is the modern standard. I have lots of older coaches that have a variety of different couplings I didn't expect them to design for them. I think as a guide you should assume they will only fit the latest super detailed coaches with NEM pockets with any new development.

These magnetic couplings are supplied with the latest Midland Pullman coaches and In my opinion are very good. My local model shop has them in stock so I have brought a few packs for my HST Scotrail set. No problem with uncoupling even with a ten coach train. In my opinion they are a very good alternative to the awful NEM couplings.