Dcc engine on analog layout

It depends on a lot of things. If the DCC only bit is set CV29 (I think that is the number) then it won't. I found the Elite sets this when you decide to renumber your loco. If you keep it at default of 3 then it should. If it is a TTS decoder then it won't run at all on DC. The other thing to be careful of, if it is an old HM or equivalent controller (ie) not a modern type then the regulation on these is not very good and it tends to blow up the decoder. If it is a new Hornby one or equivalent that is totally electronic then no issue. I have been known to test DCC loco this way on DC.

OK that's great thanks for all you replys so quickly I will have to have a think about weather to get any dcc engines then as it sound very if or may be or possibly that it will work but not definitely thank you once again everyone ps my controller is a guagemaster analogue one so a modern controller

Running a DCC equipped loco on DC whilst possible is not really recommended for the following reasons:

1. a decoder needs a certain voltage to boot up, so every time you stop and start it you are effectively switching the decoder off then rebooting it. The decoder then (if DC running is enabled in CV29) has to decide there is no DCC signal present and that it has to switch itself to DC mode.
  2. at lower track voltages the decoder is likely to become unreliable and running may well be erratic.

You can however run in a decoder equipped loco on DC as you are applying a steady voltage for a while, then likely reversing that for a further period, so the decoder stabilises and does what it is designed to do on DC.

Thanks once again for your replys the reason I was asking is because I like the idea of sound but I am running dc at the moment but think I will hold off till I go dcc thanks once again for all your help and advice

I suppose you have seen the sound modules that are powered by a small batttery and the decoder senses train movement and makes the sounds? The advantage is that you can easily move them between locos. There is one for steam and one for diesel and they work fairly well. They can be fitted inside the loco or in a wagon or coach just behind. Search for the following on Youtube:

Sound chips for DC or DCC: No wiring or soldering!

An extra bit of info - the current Hornby (8-Pin) TTS sound decoders have DC running disabled by default, so no only will you not have sound but won't have movement either

This may change when the 18 & 21-PIN decoders appear, although that is yet to be confirmed