General Discussion about TT:120

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone at Hornby (sorry, couldn't sit right through the interview with SK) said when phases 2, 3 and 4 are to become available?

I don't think Hornby have committed to any definite dates, the impression I got from the SK interview was that when the phases of production arrive from China, they will be released for sale.

I also got the impression that Hornby are aiming to have all 4 phases here within the next 12 - 18 months.

Oops, just auto summed my order list for TT120 and its 2000 quid not including postage. hopefully most packages will be over £50 to avoid postage. Might have to send the wife working nights on the Townhall steps. I really hope this scale takes off and Hornby have a gold mine on their hands. PS. I'm not really married hence I can afford the expenditure.

I would be interested to see the first person to fit the new chassis to other locos such as the Kitmaster Royal Scot or some of the static models (Amercom?) that were made of British and other prototypes at what was supposed to be TT.scale. I know there will be a slight difference in that the older models and the static ones are strictly 3mm and not the current scale but it’d provide a quick source of new models until the Hornby range increases.

I would be interested to see the first person to fit the new chassis to other locos such as the Kitmaster Royal Scot or some of the static models (Amercom?) that were made of British and other prototypes at what was supposed to be TT.scale. I know there will be a slight difference in that the older models and the static ones are strictly 3mm and not the current scale but it’d provide a quick source of new models until the Hornby range increases.

are there any chassis for TT at all? If so, would you please share your tips :)

It has been Hornby's policy for a long time not to make complete chassis available. In recent years within the trade they have been offered only by retailers who break apart complete locomotives or fettle chassis that are disposed of by Hornby in unserviceable condition and I believe even that source may have now dried up. As, at least for the foreseeable future, Hornby's declared intention is to sell TT120 only direct to the public without involving retailers at all, even the above two sources of chassis are denied the modeller.

I wonder if the locomotives come in a jeweled box like in N gauge or will they come in the ice block like their OO locomotives.

Also just for fun not serious, what is the correct pronunciation for TT1/120, would it be like ‘tea tea gauge/scale’ or ‘double TT’ or just ‘Table Top’?

just a thought

TTModeller, there were chassis available I think by the 3mm society and Romford did appropriate axles to use the OO wheels with. I would have expected a full set of spares for the new range but if they aren’t going to do a complete chassis that’s a shame. Maybe some of the continental ones may be available.

I got some 0-8-0 TT chassis with full valve gear and a very odd drive system from the motor in a job lot a few years ago. I sold them on but they could probably have been used for a UK prototype. I have had, fixed and sold on some Tri-ang 3mm chassis as well in the past.

In Rob Hampton’s book on the Tri-ang TT system he refers to the continental system that was being planned but never went into full production. The continental pacific was used to provide a chassis for a body kit for an A4.

I wonder if the locomotives come in a jeweled box like in N gauge or will they come in the ice block like their OO locomotives.

Also just for fun not serious, what is the correct pronunciation for TT1/120, would it be like ‘tea tea gauge/scale’ or ‘double TT’ or just ‘Table Top’?

just a thought

I hope they come in jewel boxes, the ice blocks are a bit of a faff. I've been calling it Tea Tea One Twenty.

Does "only available from Hornby.com" fill anyone else with the fear of repeating Sony's mistake with Betamax?

Would love to be purchasing from the likes of TMC etc... selecting options for Weathering, DCC Sound and Train Crew Fitted.

Plus wouldn't it give Hornby some security in not only being reliant on retail sales? (I'm guessing they have done the analysis and there wasn't an appetite for investment risk yet).

I do hope this comes in time.

It looks from the few available photos that the tender locos might be loco rather than tender drive but some photos show what look like traction tyres. The S.K. interview seemed a bit ambiguous as to whether production will definitely go ahead without traction tyres.

Has it been fully confirmed yet whether...

a ) All final production release tender locos are loco or tender drive?

b ) Final production version tender locos have traction tyres or not?

I really don't want either tender drive or traction tyres. Have a few decades experience with both in 00. It would be really handy for the advertising spec for each product to make these features clear.

I really don't want either tender drive or traction tyres. Have a few decades experience with both in 00. It would be really handy for the advertising spec for each product to make these features clear.

I've seen comments amongst British modellers being against tender drive, but being new to the scene I don't know the backstory to that... but on the Continent it's rather expected that way - seeing through under the boiler is almost a requirement for a model to be considered "good" there, and the quality of the drives is just fine. (That said I'm not particularly happy about it myself, because it makes converting dimensionally-suitable European chassis to Canadian engines rather more difficult...)

These steam locomotives have the motor in the bodies, Ive handled them with Simon at Kings Cross and they have considerable weight considering there size,They have a couple of wires going from the body to the tender for decoder plus a small white plug in the base of the tender for the electrical connection. Hope this helps. Frey