Automated Checkout

david_watts1

It is not just you. The issue has been raised with Hornby and we will try to escalate it today. Some folk are pulling out of the purchase because it is so confusing and multiplies the postage. R-

Yes, I've ordered and cancelled numerous times because of the checkout. I have ordered the Scotsman set and the 3 era 3 locos though, just to make sure I don't miss out. I intend ordering the era 3 coaches and wagons, track packs, buildings etc when the checkout is sorted.

I ordered last night the eastern train set, mallard, flying scotsman and lms atholl plus 11 coached so I received 15 emails where all the items had been separated into separate orders and apart from the locomotives and set all the coaches have a 3.95 delivery charge. I spoke with Hornby today and they are aware of a glitch in the system and they are working on it I was told.

I was concerned that the subtotal and totals were the same but Hornby have confirmed at their end that the discounts can be seen on the orders, as for the postal charges I'm willing to wait and see what happens as 3.95 x 11 items is a high postal charge.

all my emails look like this apart from personal info I have not included

tt3004m_1.webp%3Ffit%3D1 LNER Class A1 4-6-2 4472 'Flying Scotsman' - Era 3 

SKU: TT3004M 

Subtotal£145.99

Shipping£0.00

Discount (Hornby TT Club)-£21.90 

VAT£24.33 

Total £145.99

tt4008_1.webp%3Ffit%3D1 LMS 57' Corridor Third, 1716 - Era 3 

SKU: TT4008 

1 £32.49

Subtotal£32.49

Shipping£3.95

Discount (Hornby TT Club)-£4.87

VAT£6.07 

Total £36.44

I was concerned that the subtotal and totals were the same but Hornby have confirmed at their end that the discounts can be seen on the orders, as for the postal charges I'm willing to wait and see what happens as 3.95 x 11 items is a high postal charge.

On pre-orders, this has happened to me a lot that they "forget" to discount the postage, and then when the orders arrive on the same day from the same courier (sometimes packed in the same box sometimes not) I've then phoned them up and they've refunded the postage.

Basically the web store and its backend systems don't deal very well with pre-orders at all and you are wise to keep your eye on all the packing slips you get..

Having read the replies to this post, I think I will order the goodies I want, to make sure I don't miss out because I hope that this scale takes off like a rocket, and if they arrive individually then fair enough. but if they arrive in any delivery that contains more than £50 worth of stuff then I will ring up and seek a postage refund. (Which I can spend on more goodies)

Having gone back and looked properly at my confirmation email it does seem to have taken the standard price and not taken off the discount despite listing it as a line item. It also shows the VAT as a line item but at least it hasn't actually added that to the total (it shouldn't as the standard price is inclusive of VAT isn't it?) Quite confusingly laid out, VAT should be shown elsewhere (not as a line item) if it's only for info and not to be included in the calculation.

The order details on my account page also show as the standard price not the discounted price.

As long as Hornby only charge me the discounted price when the order is shipped it won't be a problem, but it is confusing.

• 2 weeks later...

Having thought about this long and hard, I've decided to cancel all of the orders that don't qualify for free postage until the issue of shipping fees is resolved. I had about £3500 worth of stuff on order, but until we get a confirmation from Hornby what the situation is, I feel that I will only buy when the items are in stock, so I can put them in multiples of £50+. I really don't want to miss out on items, but I don't want my wallet raping for postage.

You should try from Aust. No free postage, just a standard £50 added to each item and Customer Care saying nothing can be done unless items become available at the same time.

Member discounts have never worked for me, has always been cheaper via the box kickers on item price and postage and VAT. But no option now.

As has been noted elsewhere that Hornby have supplied direct from China to NZ, it makes economic and logistics timeframe sense to adopt that policy for Oz and possibly the Americas, and passing on any savings on delivery to the customer.

We have been advised that postage for TT:120 items over the value of £14.80 will now be shipped FOC - from the UK anyway and for the time being. Any feedback on the appearance of the checkout now [with screen shot if possible] would be appreciated particularly with regard to overseas destinations. R-

Hello Roger, I can confirm that shipping is now showing as free on a pre-order I have just placed for The Easterner train set. A sincere thank you to Hornby for this generous concession with regards to shipping, and also to the Moderators who have advocated on behalf of forum members for the ordering system to be reviewed and improved.

I will attach 3 screen grabs I took through the ordering process as requested. The order screen still shows a section indicating the shipping cost is (would be?) £50 unless the threshold of £250 is met. The second grab also defaults to indicating I have met the free shipping for the UK when obviously not a UK customer.

However, in the most important respect the order system has registered the free shipping to my order (screen grab 3), so the change Hornby was hoping to make is working for me at least. Again, thank you to all concerned for making this possible.

forum_image_635bfc023d984.png.e4aa163a588966a0730f4304d2c53026.png

forum_image_635bfc03ca9df.png.f5592dbe792f77ddd2f87c40a9e951ec.png

forum_image_635bfc05b5e97.thumb.png.02605fb9c1ae79c19d8bbc95f4a50f6a.png

• 1 month later...

The other week I received a shipment of 5 coaches (each at £44.99). Each were invoiced separately with £5.95 postage for each one. All packed in one parcel. So I had to ring customer services. I was told that I would receive a refund in the next 5 working days. Which I duly got.

However, I shouldn't have to do this every time it happens (and it has been happening every time I order multiples). The problem has existed for more than 2 years (that I am aware of). It shouldn't have to be like this. Really Hornby should prioritise sorting this issue.

I have 38 pre-orders. Of those 34 stand to get charged £25 each shipping, totalling £850!

I have raised this with Customer Service and have not received a satisfactory answer about what will happen.

These items can only be bought form Hornby direct. They really need to get their act together on this issue as a priority matter.