What do people hope to see in the range?

david_watts1

Hornby should examine their former TT3 range and selectively reintroduce 21st century versions in 1:120 scale, with the same running numbers and names, if not already planned for

Britannia, Bulleid unrebuilt pacific, LMS Jinty tank, GWR Prairie tank, class 104 DMU, Mk1 Pullmans, BR 16T mineral wagon, BR 20T brake van, some of their art deco style buildings

http://www.tri-angtt.org.uk/ttindex.htm

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Britannia, Bulleid unrebuilt pacific, LMS Jinty tank, GWR Prairie tank, class 104 DMU, Mk1 Pullmans, BR 16T mineral wagon, BR 20T brake van, some of their art deco style buildings

Good call.

Since we have so many Pullmans coming, we need some SR Pacifics to pull them and a 7mt for the BR stock.

Good call.

Since we have so many Pullmans coming, we need some SR Pacifics to pull them and a 7mt for the BR stock.

I just found out Triang produced a Southern Region bogie luggage van, hope that appears in 1:120 http://www.tri-angtt.org.uk/Utility.htm

Not including things already mentioned as being developed, an (abridged!) wish list for me would be class 4 tank, Grange, Hall/modified Hall, Merchant Navy (35005 and/or 35008), and WC/BB for steam, for diesels most especially 22, 35, 42, and 52.

6P 45559 "British Columbia" would also be nice... ;)

Underground Standard stock... Planning to build a small exchange station between a main line and the London underground set sometime in the 1930s :-) But I guess I'll have to build the underground train myself. I've already built a few other trains in TT (a DSB ME class, a Swedish Y6 railbus and a few other things), and the scale is actually very suited for that.

I am a bit concerned on the number of large 'express' type locos rather than smaller 'go anywhere' prototypes, that would mean for me starting with a Brush 2/Class 31 used on Express Passenger work from their introduction to the late 70's, the last Fenman before electrification of the Cambridge line was hauled by a 31, they were equally at home on branch line freights across the UK. Whilst for steam there are many 0-6-0 tender loco types, or 4-4-0's of pre grouping origin which lasted until the early/mid 60's too. On a personal basis I would like a 3F 0-6-0T (Jinty) as no 47607 which was my first TT loco a very long time ago!

As above - planning a smaller branch line layout (either terminus or through station) so smaller steam locos and early diesels would be ideal. I do have the Easterner set on preorder so no doubt bigger locos will make appearances with some artistic license but if TT is to flourish it can't just be express train sets, particularly when part of the point of TT is to meet smaller space demands.

I hope to see a bit more consistency in era coverage. Easterner set: era 4. Class 08 nearest: era 7. Plain black, BR crests on the 08 please. I would order one in an instant to go with my pre-ordered Easterner.

I agree. It all seems to be a bit disjointed at the moment, for example the railway buildings, nice as they appear to be, don't really go with the initial range of locos. Perhaps this is what happens when you launch a whole range at once rather than a single loco? On the other hand, it will be good for the secondhand market in a few year's time when some of us try to consolidate our collections into regions / eras...

My general suggestion would be to go for very long lasting pre grouping locos so you can cover a lot of eras with one model.

My personal favourites would be a L&Y Radial tank, LNWR coal tank or a Midland Johnson 0-4-4T - suitable for branch line or mainline and any time from 1890s to 1950s.

By the same token a long lasting 0-6-0 such as an LNWR Cauliflower, L&Y Aspinall 0-6-0 or Johnson Midland 0-6-0 would span many eras, and were all used on passenger, goods, mainline, branchline, suitable for most layouts.

The Johnson locos suggested above would also work for M&GN and S&D variants as well as Midland, LMS and BR.

I understand that other regions as well as LMS produced locos which some people find interesting but I have never quite seen it myself...!

More seriously, here would be my list, trying to keep it to commercially viable stuff (approx by era):

Pre Grouping, long lasting and potentially commerically viable:

GER L77 0-6-2T (LNER N7) - nice suburban loco, one is preserved and popular. Would look OK on mainline and branch.

GNR Class C1 4-4-2 - could potentially also do LBSCR Atlantic as so similar. Just because they're lovely!

Highland 4-4-0 Small Ben - lasted a long time, and could potentially do a lot of similar Drummond 4-4-0s with same tooling (both Drummonds!) and a bit of licence on wheel size. The small inside cylinder 4-4-0 is the typical British loco.

L&Y Class 5 Radial 2-4-2T - long lasting, suburban, mainline or branch, some interesting variants to sell more models, one is preserved...

LWWR Cauliflower - long lasting all purpose 0-6-0, wide ranging. Round top firebox not Belpaire please!

LNWR Coal Tank 0-6-2T - long lasting, used on huge variety of duties, mainline or branch, one is preserved...

Midland 4-4-0 Compound - interesting, popular, long lasting and one is preserved.

Midland Johnson 0-4-4T - long lasting, suburban, mainline or branch, some interesting variants to sell more models (M&GN and S&D, with a bit of licence), wide range

MR Johnson 2F 0-6-0 - long lasting, mainline or branch, wide range.

Later stuff likely to be viable (nothing Southern so far):

SECR/SR N Class 2-6-0 or SR Class U Class 2-6-0 (could even sell the Irish version!)

SR 'Lord Nelson 4-6-0

Rebuilt Bulleid pacific

Pre Grouping, just because beautiful and interesting (not seriously expecting these to be viable!)

Caledonian 4-4-0 Dunalastair - because why not!

Caledonian 0-6-0 - representing many similar School-of-Drummond type 0-6-0s, long lasting and one preserved.

Furness 4-6-4T Jumbo (or LBSCR 4-6-4T) - love a Baltic!

GCR 11F 4-4-0 Improved Director (LNER D11) - sutiable for Scotland as well as Great Central and one is preseved.

GCR 8B 4-4-2 Jersey Lily (LNER C4) - so handsome!

GCR 9K 4-4-2T (LNER C13) - nice branch loco

NBR Class H 4-4-2 Atlantic (LNER C11) - because I want one!

LNWR Improved Precedent Class 2-4-0 N° 790 'Hardwicke' - why not?!?!?

Highland 4-6-0 Castle - quite long lasting and very handsome.

Highland 4-4-0 Skye Bogie - because I want one!

L&Y 4-6-0 Dreadnought - because I want one!

For me it would be the following:

Class 56 (preferably in BR-era sector colours!)

Second Generation DMUs such as the Classes 150, 153 and 156 (in Regional Railways/Provincial/PTE-colours!)

Mark 2a/b/c coaches (preferably in Regional Railways!)

Mark 1 BK buffet and full brake (BG) (preferably in blue/grey or InterCity!)

Mark 1 composites in either InterCity or Regional Railways liveries.

Various modern-era freight wagons (from 1980s-present) such as Freightliner, Speedlink, HEAs, TEA tankers and aggregate carriers.

Various BR engineering wagons such as Dogfish, Seacows, ZCVs, etc, as well as the BR 20 tonne and Shark Brake vans!

That's my two-pence for now!sunglasses

A late BR Green 08 would be nice to fit with other similar era items

For sheer nostalgia and emense play value, operational TPO, with modern electronics these could be brilliant and reliable.

and to reinforce the compatibility with overseas TT120, a rake of Wagon Lit coaches or full Orient Express set…

Id love to see other Hornby brands move into TT120 to represent other national Networks, SNCF we already have Arnold TT with some German DR/DB offerings

For me it would be:

Classes 56 and 58

Second Generation DMUs such as the Classes 150, 153 and 156.

I think a modern DMU is a good idea as you suggest. Maybe even a Pacer! I'd quite like an orange GMPTE one... I circled it (00 version) in the Hornby 1988 catalogue but Father Christmas never took the hint.

Another few to add, since the Class 31s are to be included in the range, I would personally like to see most of those that had previously in the OO range, notably nos: 31130, 31147 "Floreat Salopia, 31233, 31275, 31439 "North Yorkshire Moors Railway" and even InterCity Mainline-livered no: 31454, which was otherwise part of the Railroad Range!

Also for a 31/1 in original Railfreight Grey, a 31/4 in BR blue (albeit with orange cantrail stripes) and another Regional Railways example no: 31421 "Wigan Pier".

Also for the Class 50s, preferably one in BR Large Logo with the "Laira" black roof, and don't forget to add the snowploughs too! :)

And for the Class 60s, also most of what has appeared in the OO range, personal preference, being from the BR era with their early sub-sector markings (Coal, Construction, Metals or Petroleum) and original names.