First attempt to hard wired decoder to Class 08

Deem

Hello

I am sure so many would have done this, advised others and maybe share pictures or videos as well. However yesterday when I was looking I couldn't find anything so I am sharing anyway in hope some may find it useful.

Hornby Class 08 NON DCC

LiasDCC 4 Function NEM 652 decoder

DCC 8 Pin Harness NEM 652 pre wired

Hard wired the 8 pin harness first so in future if I can find TTS decoder I can just change the decoder.

Decoder is mounted with black tac behind the front radiator. Video link showing loco running after DCC conversion.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N2lTsRN4bwT6HIDy-j9g8yEa5tQe-h7N/view?usp=sharing

This one runs much smoother and better then, my other Hornby Class 08 with Hornby 4 pin decoder. They have identical motor, chassis with only 2 things which are different, 1st decoder and 2nd wheels, older model have traction tyres on middle wheels and newer model have no traction tyres.

Regards

• 3 months later...
I also installed 8 pins socket which I bought from eBay so I can have easy access for soldering a with correct wires.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225190679667?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=1cwrJnXfTQ-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=nIMs5JBBS9W&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Much better than the Hornby original fit socket.

Thanks everyone from your kind words, as for what resister I used, I bought these from AliExpress with pre wired with built in resistor.
The link is below
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32896664335.html?mp=1

At that price Deem, forget the question. Pity they don’t give the current draw though, that would have given the answer.

LEDs should only draw 10-20mA of current. The limiting resistor is there to achieve that value based on the specification forward voltage.

If your meter is ranged on 10s of amps it will likely not read an LED current.

Deem, multimeter in series on 10s of milliamperes range will give you the current. Then 12 divided by the current gives you approximate resistor value.

I have uploaded pictures showing the reading,

Multimeter was set to 200u and reading was between 0.3 and 0.4

I set the meter to 200m, meter would show 0.0

I set the meter to 10A, meter would show 0.0.

If follow your formula I will get 0.03333, don't what does that means, so any help will be appreciated.

RDS Moderator Note: The pictures referred to are at the end of Page 2 of this thread

Deem,

As Brew Man says, you have got the red lead in the WRONG socket on the meter. The red lead ONLY goes in that left hand socket when reading high currents up to 10 Amps. For the mA current that is typically drawn by LEDs, the red lead has to go in the right hand socket that is labelled mA and the rotary switch should point to 200m [= 0 to 200mA].

I will change the leaf to volt to see how much voltage the led is using.

My mistake, I thought to read resistance reading I needed to check this way.

Thanks all for correcting me and hopefully we will get to bottom of this eventually.