Mixing steel track with nickel silver

Aussie Fred

I have a stack of Lima steel track which I was going to dump, but a mate of a mate was looking to make up a "layout", all he wants is a simple track that he can watch a train go round and round (to calm him, I believe) so I thought to give it to him. However I do not have a steel power track so was thinking of giving him a Hornby R8206 (nickel silver) to join his power to. I assume they are compatible.

I am also giving him one of my spare DC controllers and a couple of old locos and wagons/carriages - I am now all DCC except for my tram.

Just checking their compatibility.

I have 3 loops & I've just quickly ran round all 3 loops with a magnet (& that is how you can tell if it is either Steel (that is when it sticks!!!) or nickel silver (& that is when is doesn't stick!!!)) & It looks like I would say about 90 to 95% is Nickel Silver & the remaining % is Steel!!! 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I can see the advantage of steel track for older loco's where the motor was simpler but the large magnets involved helped adhesion. The downside is that it needs far more cleaning (especially if you live by the coast) and once rusted is useless.

However I am trying to ascertain if the different metals conduct electricity differently. Is N/S more conductive than steel?

Can anyone give me a comparison?

N/S is a better conductor than steel but the main voltage loss is usually around bad joints. If you mix steel and N/S you might notice that you have to clean the steel parts more often and it may rust if damaged. Older locos with magnadhession will have more pulling power on the steel track. Other than that it’s up to you, I currently mix but one day will replace all my steel track. The exception being my Playcraft/Jouef track which is all steel apart from some very old brass sections. I use PECO settrack points which I think have always been N/S.

Given the cross sectional area of the rails, you would need hundreds of metres of track to get any significant difference in resistance. That said, Nickle and particularly the Silver in NS rails is a better conductor and thus lower resistance. As @RT says, the significant factor is not the rail itself, but the joints and the level of corrosion. Rust on steel is a poor conductor of electricity, as are dirty / corroded / loose track joiners. If the steel rail condition is clean and shiny and the track joints perfectly clean and physically tight then the steel track is just as good as NS track in an average sized layout. The advantage of NS being it doesn't rust and usually stays clean and shiny for longer.

As an aside, all nickel silver is not created equal. Some time ago during my DB modelling period ( when generally European made models ran like a Swiss watch - not so some other popular brands) I mixed Profi track with Peco flex track and a loco moving from Peco to Profi would visibly slow down, only a little, but slow down they did. The only explanation seemed to be that the German nickel silver was less conductive than the stuff from Seaton. So, was the metal mix different ?

Thank you Rog - I too did not know that - Every day is a school day!!! - According to Wiki - it says 'The usual formulation is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc.[5] Nickel silver does not contain the element silver. It is named for its silvery appearance, which can make it attractive as a cheaper and more durable substitute. " Interesting!!! 🤔🚂