2023 announcements

M. Matthews

Seems you can win the 2023 catalog in todays advent calendar.

That’s what made me think of it. I was half expecting that there wouldn’t be any big 2023 announcements. Surely would be a bit tough taking on a whole bunch of new announcements considering having just taken on a new scale and everything else that is already in waiting.

If they didn’t the the OO modeler would be up in arms because they have been overlooked because TT120 has arrived.

there will be enough to look forward to for most. For others there will be enough to moan about the same old things. Nothing for me or I want X model in such a such lively or ID. Not to mention bring production back to the uk and of course cost.

im not sure wither to look forward to 10/1/2023 at 10am I believe. Or hide till all the fuss blows other.

Having not been around this hobby that long, I’m not too familiar with how the announcements and catalogs work.

Do we get it all in one go in the catalog as a big surprise, or do we get some info or mini announcements before it’s released?

Hornby (for OO gauge) tend to do a big announcement containing all the new, planned items as a surprise in January. The announcement matches the new catalog content. The catalog is made available at the same time and the website is also updated (which causes the website to go extremely slow as everyone tries to confirm the details of the announcement and pre-order must have items)

During the year they may also do some smaller announcements of new things that were not mentioned in the January Launch (for instance this year we had the Elizabeth II purple loco and the details of the Flying Scotsman anniversary items)

The TT:120 launch has a different strategy from OO, as Hornby seem to want to do phased (approximately quarterly) releases, so we won't see one big annual announcement but instead more frequent smaller ones for that scale

Hornby would save themselves a lot of hassle on this forum if they did not say when the new models would arrive. It is common knowledge that from inception to shop shelf is approximately three years. If Hornby were to just say we will be producing....................? and not say when it may arrive, there would be nothing to moan about. There are very serious delays everywhere at the moment, even the blue box company has models some have been waiting years for. There may be some surprises and occasionally they do arrive very quickly, but that may be because the model has been in the planning and production stage for sometime and nobody has leaked the information.

I would suggest that Hornby is simply getting their website ready for the January launch day and as stated what you are seeing is a test page prior to a mass release of all new items on the day.

I must admit to having looked for some of the items I know about but they are either well hidden or not up there yet.