Hornby Model World : TV Programme

Engine shed 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update

Yesterday channel is showing, older series 1 episode 1 on now at 2100.

However I can watch Series 2 Episode 1 on uktvplay website or using uktvplay app on Apple TV by registering to UKtvplay.

I am watching it now.

Regards

I don't know if anyone else notice this or not, when I watch last night it didn't accoured to me neither, but I was waiting to for something else and I thought of watching it again. Towards the end of the show I notice

A Flying Scotsman TT:120 showing going around the bend but wheels aren't moving.

Please watch small video clip I recorded on phone to show. I hope I am not breaching any broadcasting laws neither don't want to get into trouble.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/108qwiXps9mwN-S7hLqLvIcgaqIgVbWvK/view?usp=drivesdk

I have now watched both Episodes of Series 2. I think someone typed in a Roman II instead of 2 - I do not think it was episode 11 - and there are twelve in Series 2 - but where are these announcements coming from? I have just looked at the Yesterday channel (155 on SKY) for Monday 16th January 2023 at 8pm. and it quite clearly says "Series Two - Episode 2" - which it should be as Episode 1 should have been shown last Monday 9th January 2023. Now I have watched both Episodes, I think it looks like it will be a good series.

Well, I just watched the show and as much as I found it interesting, there were two glowing errors. The first was the quartering on the Jinty in the diorama, absolutely not correct in relation to the exhaust beat.

The second was the tender driven Scotsman going along with the loco wheels locked up and not rotating. What an utter shambles and a disgrace to show these errors to our serious enthusiasts, me included.

Hornby, hang your heads in shame!!! And that includes the program producer.

I watched the episode again (previously viewed on the player). I know it's been commented on already, but those stuck and sliding Scotsman wheels on the shots at the end really do stand out. I'm very surprised those shots were used in the program, there's no excuse.

I did wonder why the loco was sliding along, Hornby stopped making tender driver locos years ago, so where did they find that one. That was the thing I hated about tender driven locos and it took a lot of effort to fix the issue once it started to occur. The thing that did surprise me was Simon showing off his new TT Flying Scotsman to the National Railway Museum with the wheel weights in the wrong place. Did nobody not notice until they started making them?

Clearly not and it must have cost them quite a bit. I know only too well how easy it is to get fixated on certain aspects of a design - in this case the loco body fidelity - and to miss other errors. This is why a quality assurance process needs set procedures and check lists. I would hope Hornby have added another box to tick.

The locked wheel Flying Scotsman was probably the one that SK dug out of his loft - where it had been for twenty years. The FS being presented at the NRM was almost certainly a pre-production model.

The guy repairing Rocket got his wires around the wrong way - the loco went backwards when it should have been going forwards - that's life, we have all done it.

This website gets more like RMWeb everyday - if it moves criticize it!

@Bulliedboy the Flying Scotsman was pre production as we all know as it wasn't painted. We also know from the web just before they released it that the wheel weights were it the wrong position even at that late stage. I was just surprised that when Simon was showing it off he didn't notice, I just assumed they messed up the wheels between pre production and production. I must admit I never realised they were opposite to the con rod position but when you think about it, it is obvious. There is also the point that I don't design model trains. I suspect the wires being round the wrong way was done for the cameras as is a lot of it. If Pete Waterman is correct about 3 D printing those buildings will warp in a couple of years time. Constructive criticism is useful, if you can't take criticism don't make anything.

I don't know if I am wrong or I am different to others, when I shared the video showing wheel sliding, I was not criticising Hornby or Production team, I was marely asking if there was a fault with Loco.

I am firm believer that we all are human at the end of the day and error or fault or shortcoming are in our DNA, nobody is perfect. If anyone points to you any faults or mistake, maybe they are trying to help you instead of criticising you.

Anyway that's just the way I am and I hope other learn from me as well.

Showing a faulty model being fettled and fixed is great, but showing a smart gold-plated-rod limited edition (expensive?) model stuck and sliding along the track doesn't do much for perceived brand quality nor for care and attention to the editing of the episode :( It's such a fundamental thing that you'd think someone would have "proof-watched" and noticed before signing off for transmission.

Showing a faulty model being fettled and fixed is great, but showing a smart gold-plated-rod limited edition (expensive?) model stuck and sliding along the track doesn't do much for perceived brand quality nor for care and attention to the editing of the episode :( It's such a fundamental thing that you'd think someone would have "proof-watched" and noticed before signing off for transmission.

Fair point.

To be honest when I saw it sliding along the track, I did wonder what they were doing, I never realised it was the original tender driven model. Surprising, really as I have spent ages trying to fix my old locos from doing the same. In the end I took the sensible solution and sold them to be replaced with the newer loco driven variety. Tender driven locos must be at least 30 years old.

Mine are 40 years old! I pulled a couple out of storage recently and they are not that difficult to keep running. I might feel differently if they were valuable limited editions of course and not want to risk damaging anything by stripping them down for a good clean.

Service sheets are available online and it is usually a case of cleaning up the axles and bearings and using something like Peco’s Power Lube to help with conductivity.

I would prefer loco-drive and all-wheel pickups but there is a certain satisfaction in keeping these heritage models running. The fact we are having this discussion at all is a reflection of their longevity and good support (service sheets).

@ColinB - my tender drive Flying Scotsman & Evening Star are each only 25 yrs old. Don’t forget that Hornby continued producing tender drives for a few more years after moving production to China.

I will never sell or replace them since what they commemorate is far more significant to me, than either increased detail or loco-drive realism could get close to.