Turntable for TT Scale

Ivans Rails

Hello All,

I want to add a turntable to the layout I am working on for my TT setup however I do not want to break the bank getting a roco or fleischmann. Any suggetions another company that sells a TT scale or one I could convert to TT?

Thank You,

Ivan

Layout incase anyone is interested; the turntable to planned for the 2x4 section.forum_image_63c30a0dcbf5c.thumb.png.26f3c906e561202fec7b34c8a3bd9e74.png

forum_image_63c343558e05c.thumb.png.9d12513950bc7d788241391235be904e.png

Modellbahn Union offer a manual turntable, but I think it's quite a short deck at 135mm

https://www.modellbahnunion.com/Spur-TT/TT-Drehscheibe-16m.htm?a=article&ProdNr=MU-TT-B00085&p=99557

There are some artisan kits out there, but like the Roco unit they're not cheap. Try a google search for "drehscheibe spur TT"

The asking price for ancient Triang TT turntables is shocking!

Maybe Peco will re-scale their turntable for TT:120 in due course?

Off topic for turntables but is that 2x4 section the limit of your sidings or will you be extending as indicated by the overhanging rails.

If that is the limit then consider making those sidings as long as possible. I have erred before in my plans by having platforms that only took two carriages so were useless for purpose.

Or…. As mentioned when someone said about the potential issues with a return loop as a Wye, you could actually incorporate a reverse loop and then you can turn an entire train (I have done this) you will need to get the wiring right but it’s not hard in either DC or DCC. Triangles are a common way on the real railway to turn locos or complete trains

I have the Peco turntable on my 00 layout. But I am also thinking about TT120 and have pre-ordered. But there are only a few things on that turntable which would characterise it as H0/00. The bridge track, of course, but you could presumably modify it to accept the TT120, dropping the whole assembly, or laying the new 120 track at an appropriate level. Then leave out the railings or find some 1:120 ones. You would then have a massive TT120 turntable!

Incidentally, I have fitted the Locomotech indexed motorisation to the Peco item and have found it to be quiet, accurate and cost-effective.

• 3 weeks later...

Did someone say somewhere that the TT:120 A1/A4 are about 190mm long?

I recently picked up from ebay the sorry remains of a Heljan / Con-Cor N scale turntable for £11 inc. postage, purely to see if there's any chance it could be usable with a bit of work. It's just the well and the bridge. It represents an American type long enough to take their big locos, so it's obviously longer than the Peco N turntable and about 20mm longer than the Fleischmann one I use on my N layout.

It's a basic manual turntable kit probably only £20 or so when new (possibly no longer made?) to similar price to a Peco N kit. The deck is 223mm and a piece of Tillig TT track fits nicely for width on the bridge. It has two concentric copper rings underneath ready to carry power to the track, and teeth for a drive mechanism even if only a simple manual crank. Interesting that there's no provision to reverse the track polarity as the copper rings aren't split, so that will have to be dealt with another way (DCC folk would just use a reverse-loop module).

A project for after my N layout's next show in April. Hopefully will have an Eastener by then :)

forum_image_63dba5d41b1e0.thumb.png.753ebb8498174fad0d38c10b09a2fd47.png

forum_image_63dba5d733d2a.png.015ef3afc97f251732fe3eb7c7f7c32a.png

Looking good... I did post and then removed it.. Glad u posted..

I just did a quick man look at the "tech Specs" for a good few of the loco's and the longest one i saw was 197mm. I was going to go OO ,but maybe need to follow suit.. Are they rare to find? Are there other makes? Thanks

Look for Heljan or Con-Cor B646. It's an old kit, as I say probably no longer made. Google found a couple in the US and some "out of stock" references from the likes of Hattons. I think just keep an eye on ebay....

N gauge turntables that I know of include Peco, Fleischmann, Arnold, Heljan, Atlas, Kato, Tomytec, Walthers, Bachmann. I don't think Minitrix do one other than as a weird combined traverser/turntable unit.

The Fleischman and Arnold fully electric tables are great but expensive, the Fleischmann is 205mm deck (I think Arnold is similar). Fleischmann do make a simpler manual turntable.

The Atlas is a US type with a fully covered deck and is only 190mm diameter.

Bachmann's is only 140mm bridge.

The Kato is another expensive electrically operated unit, and the bridge is only 160mm. I think the Tomytec item is similar

Walthers has a long enough deck 247mm but is another very expensive electric unit.

N gauge turntables that I know of include Peco, Fleischmann, Arnold, Heljan, Atlas, Kato, Tomytec, Walthers, Bachmann. I don't think Minitrix do one other than as a weird combined traverser/turntable unit.

The Fleischman and Arnold fully electric tables are great but expensive, the Fleischmann is 205mm deck (I think Arnold is similar). Fleischmann do make a simpler manual turntable.

Walthers has a long enough deck 247mm but is another very expensive electric unit.

Thanks for info.. I don't mind paying for decent stuff and quality.

I would like DCC is possible. Will look at Fleischman and Walthers.. Or convert a OO to work for TT size..

@dodge I suppose the trouble with either of those options is they're already fitted with N track on the bridge, so you'd have to remove that first (quite a bit of hacking).

If you're going for an expensive option then I would have said you might as well just buy the Roco TT turntable anyway if you can find one. Very very expensive at £400+ though, and it's bridge is only 183mm. You might just get the overall wheelbase of the A1 onto it? Somewhere on here there was a post with a photo showing the A1 against the Roco BR 18, presume that fits on their own turntable?

Having re-read details about the Fleischmann N turntable that's also only 183mm bridge (not 205mm as I said before). Clearly they are based on the same mechanism (Roco and Fleischmann are part of the same group nowadays).

Roco 35900 Gauge TT Electric turntable for track gauge TT modellbahnshop-lippe.com

I will persevere with my cheapskate project when I get the time :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd pose my A4 on the old Heljan turntable I posted about above. Plenty of room :) I've cut a length of Peco track for it (and ground off the lower code 55 rail section on the very ends so it looks better).

Another project for the pile, when I can get round to it :)

forum_image_63f370999d253.thumb.png.9b01185aff9d50fa688b72b650934163.png