Select controller being used as a walkabout

Nicholas-362701

Short answer = No

Long answer = In principle that shouldn't be necessary. The Select requires locos to be configured in the 01 to 59 address range and Accessories in the 61 to 99 Address range. These DCC addresses are totally compatible with an Elite controller. So you can just replace the Select with the Elite and continue using the same addresses as before, but see caveat below.

For reasons I won't spend time describing, the Elite supports locos in the 01 to 9999 range and Accessories in the 01 to 2048 range, so the two types of addresses can overlap (something that they cannot do with a Select).

Your posted question suggests that your intention is to continue using the Select as a 'Walkabout' controller addition to your new Elite purchase. This should pose no significant issue as long as you keep using the currently configured Select addresses, but it would be optionally recommended to have the Select firmware upgraded if it is currently a very early version. The upgrade charge is typically £15 plus postage with a less than 10 day turnaround. Returns number required from Hornby Customer Services.

Caveat.

There may be an offset in the current Select addresses used when controlled by an Elite. But this address offset is totally dependent upon the firmware revision currently installed in your Select. If you were to state the firmware version of your Select, then further advice can be given as to whether you would be affected by this issue and what to do about it if you are affected. The firmware version is the very first number to briefly appear on the Select screen as you power it up. The number will be in the range 10 to 20.

P.S As a Walkabout, you will need a R8266 cable (not a R8236 cable). Hornby no longer sell R8266 cables direct, but there is a seller on Amazon selling compatible R8266 cables in lengths from 1 to 10 metres. Search R8266 on Amazon.

As P-Henny says in his P.S. you need a Walkabout cable. Also, the Select Power Supply is not required and MUST be removed. The Select will get it's Power from the Elite.

@Nicholas

Moderator Note:

It is in your own interest to have a unique user name. 

Could you please select ‘My Account’ towards the top right hand corner of your screen, then Community and choose a nickname in the ‘My Profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’

More details here

Thanks very much very useful - the Select version I have is1.6 does this need to be upgraded?

No - that is the latest version.

Have you downloaded and read both the Select v1.5 user manual and the associated v1.6 addendum. These will tell you how to use your much improved Select.

Personally, I think that could be a high cost risk at £40 a go with no guarantee of working. It is an active device designed for a specific product and may not be compatible with the Hornby Select Xpressnet data protocol. The R8237 is a passive part (no electronics). It would be easier and cheaper to make one using RJ12 socket parts bought from a components supplier and wired up in parallel.

EDIT: Just remembered that the multiple Selects get their operating power supply via the R8237 splitters, so those £40 active splitters are very highly likely to block the power transfer between Selects and may even be damaged by the power that is fed from the master. The Walkabout Master also uses the direct physical metallic path via the R8237 splitters to detect the presence of the attached Walkabout Selects, so that polling addresses can be allocated.

I hadn't read the full spec, but being active devices they probably wouldn't be suitable. However, there seem to be quite a few simple 2-way splitters out there which may well fit the bill. I actually found the R8237 during a search too.

The cables to run multiple Selects from an Elite...

Yes but which pictures are you referring to? There are no pictures in the thread and only one link, (mine) and that doesn't show cables. The cables required for that device would be RJ12 end-to-end.

The cables to run multiple Selects from an Elite...

Yes but which pictures are you referring to? There are no pictures in the thread and only one link, (mine) and that doesn't show cables. The cables required for that device would be RJ12 end-to-end.

There are no pictures. RPJ is (I believe) referring to what he actually saw in person.

Having checked this out on Amazon - it only mentions a 2m long cable. I scrolled down everything on the "R8266 cable" search and there was no mention of longer cables. I am sure they are available. I only mention this as anyone wanting a longer cable may have to contact the manufacturing company direct.

Note should be taken that when slave units are used they are connected using the proper splitter and the correct cable as pointed out in the Select manual and the Elite manual.

forum_image_63d91f3124dc5.thumb.png.9273da6e4fa9f28c5d907675965d42d7.png

forum_image_63d91f34abe6c.png.fc228d23c192290fe5e4cc4836cf2438.png

Note that each slave is talking direct to the master controller. No slave talks through another slave in a daisy chain as Hornby puts it.