What did you receive today?

South Coast Flyer

By circuitous means, my 08 arrived today. It joins the Easterner set which came direct having been ordered prior to Hornby being stopped from any delivery to Australia by SMS their local wholesaler.

As nothing has yet reached these shores for SMS to then supply via selected retailers, they will be two of very few TT:120 items here to date, maybe the only two.

The Easterner is already HM7000-fitted. No problem for non-TT:120 supply, as long as you don’t mind paying the £50 flat shipping rate when the RM small parcel cost is only £11. And they try to charge that on each item order. Something Hornby really needs to fix in my view.

My Hornby Water tower, which I weathered nicely I thought, is too big to fit any suitabkle location on my layout.

Today I received its replacement, a very nice small platform water tower from MS Models which is modelled on one in Yorkshire. Even the platform location next to a tunnel matched my layout ! Unfortunately the real one is on the opposite platform to mine, meaning the door is the tunnel wall end, Currently I am printing a door for the other end hugging_face

Also fresh of my 3D printer, an N gauge vicarage for near the church.

I downloaded the 3D file for it but spent a lot of time having to make it suitable for printing and adapting it to my preference.

Trigo (complete with sound) arrived today. Powered up and connected to Bluetooth straight away. There were a couple of Bluetooth updates but they only took a couple of minutes. Then did the reccomended running in one way and another. Half hour each way in half speed. Even took a video as it was going well.

So far very impressive.

But then went to run at full power and there was a sound that I can only describe like a mains fuse popping. Bluetooth triangle thingy now red. Loco dead.

I’m guessing a call to Hornby CS in the morning.

If the decoder looses BT connection it will show red rather than blue. I’d do usual IT procedure, turn both off the on again. The pop has been reported on switching on usually, it’s not any indication of anything problematic. It’s worth checking that your controller device BT is stable

Today I received:

Trigo with DCC pre-installed.

Flying Scotsman with DCC pre-installed.

The GBRF class 08.

Whilst I can't run these until my Blink Bonney set arrives I opened them up to visually inspect the trains in case of any issues.

The 08 and Flying Scotsman appear perfect from a visual perspective and the couplings seem at the correct height and work appear to work correctly.

However when it came to Trigo as I very carefully opened the plastic inner container I was greeted by the sight of the front buffer assembly falling off. I'm assuming insufficient glue was used during manufacturing.

Anyway I'm annoyed and am tempted to return Trigo to Hornby for them to sort out.

Other than the bumper issue the Trigo looked fine.

PeterM67,

If I were you I’d send it straight back for two reasons, one it lets them know about QC issues and secondly if you botched the repair it’s on you and not them, so if they stuff up the repair they have to fix or replace.

Railbob

Don't worry Railbob it will definitely be going back!

I took a photo earlier of the problem. The buffer assembly appears to have 2 lugs that match with holes on the loco body and then a bit of glue holds it in place. However one of the lugs is missing so I guess it wasn't held very securely and it fell of in transit. Any attempt at self repair would most likely quickly fail and really it needs new buffers.

forum_image_648cc4da1b537.thumb.png.4e2efac1667fe4cdd77bd678fc601634.png

Not easy to tell in the photo but it look like the main adhesive area is the flat section on the frame and the buffer beam itself. The holes are more than likely just for locating during assembly rather than provide all the strength.

If you can line the buffer up ‘dry’ and there are no other breakages it would be a painless repair. I would scrape the glue away with a craft knife and ensure the surfaces fit together nicely then a couple of small dabs of Superglue. I know it’s not ideal but it would mean your loco is up and running almost immediately. There is the view (which I also support) that errors/damages need to be fed back… it’s a balance.