Buying an old Elite?

gilbo2

Further to Paul’s, my memory of user experience is similar and, where failures have occurred, repairs to component level have been possible. Hornby Support have carried out some but not all possible repairs. Our resident expert is 96RAF.

Even firmware upgrades from very early versions have been carried out successfully. I do remember one only instance where attempting a firmware upgrade may, and I repeat may, have contributed to the Elite becoming unrepairable (Yelrow will recall discussion at the time).

If firmware upgrade from 2006 has not been done, it will be necessary to make the Elite fully operational as early firmware versions contained significant bugs.

The most common failures are ...

Power output transistors getting very hot usually due to loose heatsinks or the paste drying out.

Loss of Programming Output. Test this if you can simply by reading a decoder address. If it reads then it will write.

If you can get hands on, then another test you can do is power up the unit whilst holding the Loco button. This will initiate a self test. You can then press each button and twiddle each knob to prove they work. The buttons activate a simple press contact rather than a decent tactile switch so if the unit has stood a while and a button doesn’t work then exercising it many times will usually fettle it.

Many thanks for the replies and useful information. It sounds like there are no fundamental issues with the old Elite's which would make getting one a bad idea. Good call to remove the back cover and check the heatsinks. Usual risks then with anything second hand!

I recently bought one from Hatton’s dating back to 2008. Firmware update was straightforward using the guide from @RAF96. One dodgy button on the panel means it’s currently back at Hornby for repair and a check over.

Hopefully it will be ok and ready for use with the HM7K dongle in due course.

• 2 weeks later...