Turn Table Wanted

Does anyone have an old Hornby R408U or R408 electrically operated turntable for Super4/System6 track, they don’t want? Need not work as want to rebuild it to use a stepper motor

Mod note - your phone number removed as it breaks forum rules to publish personal information. Also buying and selling on this forum is not allowed. There is no direct message system to put buyer and seller in contact in any case. Your original oversize text reformatted to normal.

@WATB

Assuming that the image in your suggested ebay listing link shows exactly what is being offered by the seller. It is only the bridge part of the TT. The platter of the TT does not appear to be included, Therefore for G.L, that listing (unfortunately) is in 'as useful as a chocolate teapot' territory.

Hello Paul

When Garden Leave suggested a stepper motor, I assumed he was to couple the spindle of the turn table bridge to the spindle of stepper motor via helical, bellows or (heaven forbid) rigid coupling. This makes the pan of the turn table just a hole or depression in the layout The circular pinion in the pan would then be superfluous.

That said, your experience dwarfs mine. By orders of magnitude. I defer to you sir!

Bee

At the end of the day Bee, what I wrote is just my opinion and certainly not practical experience, but instead based upon what I have read about other peoples stepper motor conversions. In those cases the conversions I have seen, started with a complete TT, but not a Hornby one. Personally, I don't think that Hornby TTs (referring specifically to the later R070 version, that I only assume is similar to the R408 one) is a suitable candidate for conversion due to its 'Geneva' drive mechanism. The R408U being Unpowered, may be more suitable if the 'Geneva' gears are not present in the product mouldings**. The 'stepper motor' conversions I have read about used some form of custom indexing system to replace the 'Geneva' indexing functionality.

If you are interested, the 'Geneva' drive is a very interesting system and is explained in the linked YouTube below. It is obvious in the video why an indexed drive stepper motor doesn't suit the 'Geneva' TT rotation mechanism,which I think would need to be eliminated in any conversion.

Either way, I read into the OPs post that he was requesting a complete TT. Particularly as he requested compatibility to System 4/6 tracks, which suggests the platter is also required.

Note** The R408U also had a separate Hornby produced motorising kit option. Thus if the R408 used 'Geneva', then that suggests that at least some of the 'Geneva' mouldings are present in the R408U to support the later addition of the motor kit.

P.S. I have been following your 3D printing project with great interest. Creating 3D print files is an area that I think will always elude me, so in that area you are the 'master'.