Have the prices just jumped up without warning, Again.

david_watts1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don’t think Hornby would give a warning anyway, the train sets and bundles haven’t changed price, so am thinking it’s an error again. In fact the prices seem a bit random. Some HST class 43 sets have increased but others haven’t (£50 for two sound decoders is a bargain!). The 50s and 66s haven’t gone up in price either. The website seems quite glitchy.

It's quoting me £136.99 for an 08 before discount. Lucky I already have one!

Some of the new prices are a little eye watering:

GWR class 43 DCC fitted was £279.99 before discount, now £329.99 - eek!

DCC The Scotsman Blink Bonny set was £270.99 now £304.99.

Even the rolling stock has increased in price - MK1 coaches are now £37.49 and if you want a pullman coach and don't have the 15% members discount then at £53.49 you can buy them individually and qualify for free shipping.

I'm now quite glad that previously after price rise panic Wednesday I put much of what I want onto pre-order

Given the inconsistencies in the price rises (why would all except one of the HSTs go up in price - the executive liveried version with sound is still at the old price?) it’s either a glitch or very badly executed website price changes. Hopefully they all go back down again soon.

Possibly the executive HST escaped due to human error when putting in the new pricing. If so they will soon realise. The MK3 coaches in the executive livery did get a price rise.

Ironically I was thinking of getting an executive HST at some point down the line so it went in as a pre order this evening just in case.

Interesting update. Both sound and non-sound variants of the Class 43 going up by £50. That represents an increase of nearly 30% for the non-sound variant. So this is a sizable increase.

Also of interest, it appears they have changed their product pricing strategy. Before the mainline steam locomotives were all the same price at £145.99. Now there is stratification. The most expensive steam locomotive in the range is now the Flying Scotsman at £176.99 for the non-sound version. That’s a more than 20% increase. Compare that to the non-sound Mallard’s price of £163.99 which represents a more modest 12.3% increase.

Overall these moves seem to indicate a new stratified pricing strategy. It will be interesting to see how people receive it. These pricing moves also should tell us that TT120 is being well received. You don’t raise prices by 20% overnight for locomotives that aren’t selling. I’m also seeing the Trigo Bundle has already sold out. Bonkers.

There was always a suspicion that TT120 was being sold with very tight margins (especially with club discounts) and maybe, if the changes are sustained and not another glitch, these price rises are a correction to that and reflect demand.

It might encourage other manufacturers into the market too, if they see that they can make an investment in TT120 work.

It does look to be the case, I am glad I bought most of what I need/want already. Hopefully the pre orders on my mineral wagons stay at the pre-order price.

I now regret removing the Blood and Custard 57's from my pre-orders !

That'll either be an expensive rake, or a sell off of an unused "Night Hawk" depending on prices at release !

If these price rises are sticking, I'll likely just have an LNER layout instead of the initial plan of having an option to swap to Early BR when I feel like it !

In the old days of catalogues with price lists, prices would remain firm for a 12 month annual period and you could plan your spending, subject of course to products being available in that time frame. You would know that a new price list would be issued in January and so November and December would be prime buying months to still buy at the prices announced in January.

This sudden mid term significant price jump without warning, for products already manufactured and in stock, as well as future product yet to be delivered, is a new strategy and unexpected. It has somewhat deflated my interest in TT:120 as the prices are now approaching OO levels if not higher than OO taking into account retailer discounts.

Hopefully it is a website glitch and prices will return to their former level for the remainder of the year.

But if these new prices are indeed firm, it could be that Simon Kohler and the directors disagreed on this mid term price increase strategy, which could have triggered his “retirement” from the company.

Did you all miss the post by Nightraker? Scroll back a bit.

Yes I saw that and have tried to keep an open mind as well as pointing out the multiple inconsistencies that suggests it is a glitch.

As you’ve said before, weird things happen with the website when other changes are made.

I’ve already suggested to Hornby that they really need to sort out the website - even before this episode, the random “2023 launch” labels and inconsistent labels elsewhere need a thorough check.

I’ve just called customer services.
it’s a price rise not a glitch, anyone who can still see the old prices might be because they’re webpage hasn’t refreshed.

Suggest pre-orders if anyone wants any 50s or 66s as they've remained at the old price - for now. The bundles are also very good value as they haven't increased yet either.

All in all a very inconsistent price rise!

Seems strange that the BR, InterCity Executive Class 43 HST Train Pack - Era 8 (Sound Fitted) is still at £279.99 whilst both the other versions have increased to £329.99. Now placed on pre-order, although would have preferred the GWR version.

It's a shame that they are increasing the prices when most of the range hasn't even been released. From being an affordable hobby it's becoming more and more expensive and frustrating considering the release dates being pushed back. It was the Phase 3/4 diesels that I was after and the way things are going not going to see them for sometime.

The original concept of TT120 and HM7000 got me back into the hobby but the delays (I have an 08 that I can't even test as I'm waiting for the decoder to be released) and the price increases are making me consider whether its worth it anymore.

I suppose if someone in Hornby doesn't want TT120 to succeed they are making the right decisions.

Seems strange that the BR, InterCity Executive Class 43 HST Train Pack - Era 8 (Sound Fitted) is still at £279.99 whilst both the other versions have increased to £329.99. Now placed on pre-order, although would have preferred the GWR version.
It's a shame that they are increasing the prices when most of the range hasn't even been released. From being an affordable hobby it's becoming more and more expensive and frustrating considering the release dates being pushed back. It was the Phase 3/4 diesels that I was after and the way things are going not going to see them for sometime.
The original concept of TT120 and HM7000 got me back into the hobby but the delays (I have an 08 that I can't even test as I'm waiting for the decoder to be released) and the price increases are making me consider whether its worth it anymore.
I suppose if someone in Hornby doesn't want TT120 to succeed they are making the right decisions.

I agree that the application of the increases seems very strange. The exec version is a "bargain" compared to its analogue alternative - £60 for 2 decoders! I am the same as you - I am planning an end to end modern image layout and the current locomotives don't work very well even for heritage operation (lacking couplings at the front)

In terms of the 08, given the 6 pin decoder is now apparently late 2024, I am now planning to get the legacy dongle to allow me to operate it with a standard decoder and HM 7000.

I guess they've tried to keep prices low as they can but can't do that forever when inflation is so endemic globally.

I am looking at this with total bafflement.

£330.00 for a Power Car and Dummy, available in a years time (assuming the date doesn't get pushed back again.

Then how much for 8 coaches, lets say say by time they are available in the winter of 2032, at a price of £50, or more, over £700.

What is the incentive for me to swap from 00 to TT120? The answer of course, Hornby don't want me to, they want to attract new customers to the new scale. But how are they going to do that when the products are so far away from being manufactured and at such a price.

I think TT120 is a lovely product but my enthusiasm is gone, back to 00 for me.

Yes Jonathan I feel somewhat the same it's not a cheap hobby is it. OK it probaly never has been. I know they were not obliged to but it would have been nice to give us a heads up after all the hassle a good number have had to go through. I'm still wating for my easterner to come back from hornby that's a second visit! amongst other hicups.
thinking_face

I know it’s the price we pay for pursuing British Outline from overseas (and supporting British industry) but preordering doesn’t work if you’re trying to save the £30 postage for say Canada because the items are shipped individually. I was waiting for the blood and custard coaches to order my next £200 batch before the club discount expires in the autumn. Now the price increases are sometimes offset by the club discount which I guess is positive.

Simon had hinted before that margins were slim with the introductory prices so it’s not surprising. I did buy a bunch when the web glitch increased prices a month or so ago so I guess I did get some purchases in at the old pricing.

time for a new railway modelling budget!