TT:120 Phases - Any update on expected release dates?

John-L

I’m hoping we get a bit more info on expected release dates for the later phases. I’m really looking forward to the Class 37 / Class 31 and the J94.

Those are currently phase 3/4 which I had thought meant they’d be available in the 3rd or 4th year of production. However some of the Phase 2 locos are now listed as 2025 releases so I’m wondering if phase 3/4 might actually be a lot further away.

Anyone able to shed some light on the dates?

In general, forum members have no better access to delivery information than is contained in the brochure, or the dates she won in the shop for orders/pre-orders.

However, always worth asking as sometimes members have better info from direct contact with Hornby and share it.

Out of interest, which locomotives have you seen slated for a 2025 release? I had a quick look and all those I checked will be released by Summer 2024.

I would imagine that phase 3 won’t be appearing until 2025 (simply because so much is due next year) but as @Fishy says, we have no specific information on that. You could try calling Hornby and asking. They won’t commit, I’m sure, but might offer a clue as to the earliest we might expect phase 3 and later.

It looks like dates have changed again! I’m sure the LMS Princess Coronation was showing winter 2024/5 now it’s spring 2024. Good news for now anyway. Eventually I’m hoping for a steam shunter but since these were listed as phase 3/4 models I’m resigned to waiting a couple of years. It’s a slow process. Some OO models are years late and those modellers are suggesting TT has impacted their product availability so I think we should be grateful for what we have.

The web store is really the only source. Unless customer service tells you things a imminent dates can always change and usually not in a good way

The Hornby Hobbies annual report for 2022 gives details of the delays and contraints on release dates - these are not specific to any particular products. You can see the list and description on page 06, Supply Chain, of the annual report which can be downloaded by clicking on Investor Relations at the bottom of a page and then clicking Annual Reports. Clearly release dates are subject to many factors beyond the control of Hornby Hobbies.

The Hornby Hobbies annual report for 2022 gives details of the delays and contraints on release dates - these are not specific to any particular products. You can see the list and description on page 06, Supply Chain, of the annual report which can be downloaded by clicking on Investor Relations at the bottom of a page and then clicking Annual Reports. Clearly release dates are subject to many factors beyond the control of Hornby Hobbies.

Thanks for posting this. A useful insight. R-

I have just been through all my preorders and they have all slipped to at least Spring 24

Only the sound Eastener is now likely to arrive this year.

So now I am venturing into continental territory and I am picking up a Piko ice3 this weekend to give me something else to run on the layout

I want a deltic prototype and a blue Pullman …. 2030?

Did you do that manually? There doesn't seem to be a mean of checking dates in the pre-orders page (which would be helpful!)

Spring next year is going to be expensive for many of us. I need to start saving now I think. Hornby's warehouse team will be very busy - unless the delivery dates slip further.

What surprises me is that some off the other manufacturers haven’t picked up the delays, particularly Heljan that had planned the Class 31. for late 2023 release.

Even Peco seem to have been delayed in releasing to wagons that were announced.

I want to model the 1980 - Modern day scene and only have the Mallard to represent the preserved locomotive and the 08, which with no decoder released is no use in any case.

All that seems to be happening is delays and price increases.

it really seems that Heljan jumped ship way too early.

if they had just persisted with the class 31 only, they would probably have got it to market way way before the Hornby version.

Then they could have maybe chosen different prototypes to carry on the range.

Even now if they resurrected the project today they might still beat hornby to the punch

Come on you competition give hornby some proper competition

I think when you analyse the reality of bringing a set of very basic cad renditions to a full retail model, it’s unlikely that Heljan would have anything in the marketplace until ‘24 and that is assuming favourable production slots and component availability etc etc. The Heljan announcement was never anything more than a wild punt. As they say, ‘Talk is cheap’ Hornby have been at this 7 years and it takes time to bring a retail range to market.

Of course, Heljan would have had the benefit of the research for their O gauge model (as Hornby had for their OO model). It seemed to be a pretty serious proposal, since they had the proposed identities and liveries, although the 08 and J94 were just vague proposals.

I doubt if it was any further advanced than the Hornby one, and the length of time models take to come to market can vary considerably — I think the Dapol N gauge Bulleid "Light Pacific" holds the current record — announced in 2012 and still not available.

The new Train Terminal is interesting. I think all products covered in this month’s issue currently have a due date of Spring-Summer 2024, yet the models are clearly at very different stages of development. The MGR hoppers and the 21T mineral wagons look ready to go into production - fully decorated samples. The tank wagons are a bit further behind, with engineering samples shown and then lastly the two locomotives are at render and prototype stage.

This suggests that we could see some modern era wagons this year, despite what the website says. My 08 may yet get something realistic to shunt this year!

This suggests that we could see some modern era wagons this year, despite what the website says. My 08 may yet get something realistic to shunt this year!

That would be nice. I'd love to be able to get some of these before my membership expires grinning

The photos in the new train terminal post look like really good news. Based on the Class 08 timescales, from engineering sample images to release was about six months or so? Meaning it would seem reasonable to expect those models before the end of the year?