HM 7000 Multitude Of Problems?

rpjallan

I have been away for a number of weeks & haven't been able to keep up with any model railway happenings. Upon my return, browsing these forums plus YouTube & other places, there seems to be an inordinate amount of problems with this new system. Specifically the decoders. Does anyone have more than a few decoders that don't have any problems. I was really looking forward to getting some (none are available here yet & I daren't get one from overseas because the chance of having to return it seems quite high) but I'm going to give them a wide birth for now. Any comments?

Most of the problems seem to stem from people not reading the manual. From what I’ve seen in this forum, few decoders returned to Hornby are actually faulty. There are quite a few users on this forum running multiple decoders with no problems.

The troubleshooting process, which is highlighted in one of the sticky threads, deals with most common issues.

The system has also improved with the updated iOS app and release of the Android app. They incorporate improved setup of the decoders.

I now have 15 locos running on HMDCC and apart from a few early ‘teething’ problems (mainly caused by me), and all are running perfectly.

What issues I did encounter were resolved quickly by George Waller at Hornby.

Also, I now have my layout running some locos that are App controlled via Bluetooth and some that are running on ‘normal’ DCC control, simultaneously.

I’m absolutely delighted with the outcome. Just waiting now for the release of more sound profiles, and the non-sound decoders later this year.

Excellent ! 😃👍🏼

I have 12 decoders in a variety of HORNBY and Bachman locos old and new. I have not had to return a decoder and downloaded a variety of sound profiles without issue. I have also happily run Bluetooth and conventional sound and non sound DCC decoders at the same time.

The few issues I have had were mainly down to me not reading the instructions. It would have been amazing if a new use of technology had not had a learning curve and most people have now got through that.

Give it a go and see how you like it.

Four decoders fitted including a 21 pin to a Bachman loco. I had one issue but that was down to early days and my lack of knowledge. Now I would have sorted it with the many help guides - really impressed with performance - haven’t even scratched the surface of the capabilities of the decoder. It is a game changer.

Eight running well. Like others, early problems were more down to me than the decoders - it’s too tempting to dive in rather than wade through the manuals. But Bachmann 21 pin locos are an easier fit than Hornby 8 pins, although the Oxford Rail J27 was a challenge in getting the power bank fitted. The app works really well and the more you use it and become familiar with its format, layout the better it gets.

Only recent problems have been with duff speakers (see separate Forum thread). Not a big issue and I’ve bought a load of others for peanuts which will probably be better quality, although Hornby would be well advised to sort it.

I’d challenge any analogue user to return to DC operation, once they’ve played with HM7000. All I need to crack now is getting older (non DCC ready) locos to work with it.

@George,

Assuming they have the necessary space, I’ve retrofitted a number of older locos with an 8-pin socket with no problems. They’re very easily and cheaply obtained on eBay and easy enough to fit if you’re handy with a soldering iron. Look out for the sockets with labelled solder pads, as these make it even easier to identify which wire fixes to which pin.

All the locos I’ve upgraded this way are working fine on HMDCC.

Good luck!