Problem posting

96RAF

I have put this in the General Discussion section for maximum viewing, rather than the correct Forum and web site feedback.

Has anyone experienced going to make a post and it has simply disappeared.

I posted a picture this morning and when I went back to add another picture it had gone.

In answer to the query as to why photos disappear when a post is submitted, if you look at your screen after submitting your post, either above the reply box or at the top of the thread, you will see a message saying the yoir photos have been sent to the moderators for approval, this is the case for everyone from what I can remember.

Haha - as I am the moderator who has to clear my own images I am aware of the approval route having pointed out to many folk the hidden in plain sight flag.

This wasn’t simply a picture going into approval, the post just disappeared in toto.

The reported problem is a member goes to write a post and his text disappears as he types and he can’t react with the forum.

Edit: Rob and I typed at the same time, just for clarity!

Hello 96RAF

I'm not sure of your description.

Did you

1) Have an existing post, with an image, that you sent for moderator approval? That is, you wanted to edit and add to a post after first submission.

2) Have a post, with an image, that had not yet been submitted? That is, you were still editing and adding prior to first submission.

I have indeed experienced issue 2. Mostly my own fault, but the behavior of the web page directly contributed. The web page keeps a local copy of your submission. As you add each character, the text is bounced to the server and back. This is why images really slow down the process, all the bytes in the image must be bounced as well. Leaving the page, for any reason whatsoever, loses you local copy and, since the server does not maintain a copy, your data is lost.

It is the "leaving the page" part that is the culprit. Page forward, page back are the common causes, but if you are signed in temporarily AND the expiration of time arrives, then your page will be refreshed and your data lost. Any glitch in the cosmos will do it.

Bee

Do moderators approve their own images? Or must you wait like us commoners, until another moderator comes along?

In answer to the query as to why photos disappear when a post is submitted, if you look at your screen after submitting your post, either above the reply box or at the top of the thread, you will see a message saying the yoir photos have been sent to the moderators for approval, this is the case for everyone from what I can remember.

Haha - as I am the moderator who has to clear my own images I am aware of the approval route having pointed out to many folk the hidden in plain sight flag.
This wasn’t simply a picture going into approval, the post just disappeared in toto.
The reported problem is a member goes to write a post and his text disappears as he types and he can’t react with the forum.

I thought that might rankle a bit, Rob joy

Do moderators approve their own images? Or must you wait like us commoners, until another moderator comes along?

Yes they can, else they wouldn’t have the ability to approve anything, in fact a moderator of one brand forum can moderate on any other brand forum, but we have a polite agreement that we stick within our own areas. In the past moderators did not have to have their posts with images moderated, nor did those members considered to be trusted after a probationary posting period - it was called instant posting rights. Alas those days are gone for now.