Would the Royal Set make a good Xmas present

Sam-371149

Hi all,

I was hoping for some advice please.

My 73 year old Dad confessed a few weeks back he has always wanted a train set but never had one. Naturally I would like to make his dream come true for Christmas.

I’d like to get him the R1283M BR ‘The Royal Scot” set. But I see it mentions their is no controller or wall transformer.

https://uk.hornby.com/products/br-royal-scot-train-set-era-3-r1283m

Please could someone let me know what we’d need to buy as well. He won’t want to be all fan dangaled and use an iPad etc, just some good ol’ buttons etc.

thank you grinning

RDS Mod Note: Welcome to the Forum. I have amended the title of you post to better identify your question. I have also removed all the extra line spaces. This forum automatically adds a line space each time you press ENTER.

Hi Sam,

Welcome to the forum. Since this forum is owned by Hornby, words need to be chosen carefully to avoid undue or blatant advertising of competitor products.

If you want a standard analogue controller there are several options:

• The most basic option is the R7229 controller that Hornby include in most of their train sets - however it is made to a tight budget & therefore certainly isn’t the most capable or reliable controller available. Details here:

https://uk.hornby.com/products/analogue-train-and-accessory-controller-r7229

It requires a separate power transformer:

https://uk.hornby.com/products/standard-wall-plug-mains-transformer-p9000

• A better Hornby option is the HM2000 (This is actually 2 controllers in 1 unit) - it is much more capable & reliable than the budget one. Details here:

https://uk.hornby.com/products/hm-2000-analogue-controller-r8012

• There are other alternative controllers made by competitor manufacturers, ‘Gaugemaster’ and ‘Morley’ are among the most well thought of. One unique feature that Gaugemaster include (with every controller) is a lifetime warranty.

Sam

If your dad wants a train set, you really only have a few choices, to wit: Diesel, Steam or Electric. I would suggest you ask him that question. The type will be a preference. Make sure you get that correct.

As to controllers, I use the Gaugemaster. It works smoothly and quite well. You do not have to get the top of the line. The single track "Combi" will be more than sufficient to drive any Hornby train set.

And for what it is worth, you are a good son to do this. I am sure he will be thrilled!

Bee

Sam, hi, a very kind thought. What is he going to run it on. Needs a tad of prior thought, as they dont run well on carpet, so baseboard would be needed. If you are going to help him, and can undertake the build, then, no worries. Its just that he wont be able to use it, .

without some forward planning. I would not ask him what type he wants, as that would spoil surprise. Its your present, and i would be very pleased to receive this set. Agree about Gaugemaster, controller, and Combi. TT, whilst smaller, is not for everyone. We can tell you what size baseboard, etc, and materials, provided, he has the space, and you the DIY knowledge.

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

And i’ll take on board the forum wording feedback.thumbsup

He’ll likely be popping this on a large MDF board and make a purpose built area for it (he’s a retired builder so happy to make something). I believe steam would be his preference.

Thank you for the detail around Controller options. I may just go economy to get him started - otherwise i’ll be needed a mortgage for all these bits 😂.

Is there a good TT:120 set anyone would recommend which is comparable to the Royal Scot one at all? Something with a bit of nostalgia.

Thanks again (and sorry about double line breaks - not sure how best remove and keep paragraphs)

Sam, there are currently 2 TT:120 train sets currently on offer, ‘Scotsman’ an LNER A1 ‘Blink Bonny’ (named after a racehorse as the LNER loved to do) 3 Pullman carriages. ‘Easterner’ an A4 (streamlined) in BR green ‘William Whitelaw’ (former chairman of LNER) 3 maroon BR Mk1 carriages (I bought this as the base for my layout High Fell) both sets come with an decent oval of track and a siding. As others have said, the standard set controller gets you going but longer term you might want something better, the locos run even better then. The digital sets have sound and are controlled by an App on a smart device rather than a traditional DC controller. App is free but you need a suitable phone/laptop etc, does both Apple and Android, sound is lots of fun. You can upgrade the standard sets to digital easily though if you don’t want to go all in straight away.

These sets and many of the models have been consistently selling out due to huge popularity. You can buy direct from Hornby and now a number of selected retailers have them in store, you might even get a bit of a discount from a retailer. There is a very active part of this forum dedicated to TT:120, well worth a look.

Sam

Hornby Dublo is the very top of the mark. Those sets are frankly awesome. As I re-watched JJ's video, I found myself wanting that set, yet completely out of my era, out of my railway. No reason for me to own it, but I want it.

Mate, the set you selected is the bomb!

Rallymatt has it right with TT120. You can fit so much more railway in the same space. All things equal, TT120 is simply better.

Here is a completely unsolicited bit of old man advice. Who doesn't love that, some dottering old man telling you how to live. But here goes: if you want this gift to be a success, participate. Sit there with your Father as it runs. Discuss the point work. Add a new building. Spend some time with him on the advantages of a level crossing. When you look back at Hornby adverts, the theme of Father/Son is recurrent. There is a reason.

Participate Periodically.

Bee

Bee has hit the nail on the head. If the old boy comes up against any problems on his own he may give up, but with a bit of support and someone who knows where to go to get even more help, then the pair of you can make it work, then he can enjoy it as an absorbing hobby. It will absorb his time and certainly will absorb his cash reserves if allowed to.

My "fascination" with "toy trains" started in 1958 with a second hand HD Montose and coaches. 3 rail of course. Needless to say, I have bought the Royal Scot set even though half of my layout will still be 3 rail. It doesn't come with a controller because the originals made and sold out of Binn's Road didn't have them apart from the very early ones and even those didn't have a transformer.

That set more than any other ticks all the nostalgia buttons. The TT120 is nice but they are nothing like the sets he may have wanted in his younger days.

Of the suggestions above, I feel the Gaugemaster controllers are the best option but if you have a model shop nearby that has second hand, it would be worth a look to see if they have one.

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I feel I may shatter some visions when I confess I am actually a daughter rather than son. But I’d rather have a motorbike or digger than make up and manicures any day. So maybe I am the Son he always wanted joy.

I take all comments onboard - even the ones from the old boys 😉. Thank you.

The Royal Scot seems to be hitting all the right nails. If it’s “too big”, he’s just have to fight with my Mum for more space / built something too high for her to reach.

In terms of Gaugemaster (and I understand the rules), is there a “best bet” here?

And sorry for the delay in response

Mod note - as you didn’t take notice of the previous moderators advice not to use an extra carriage return, I have edited out the extra white space in your reply.

Since I have already highlighted the Hornby models that are available, it shouldn’t be a rule contravention to say that the Gaugemaster GMC-Combi is their version of a standard single controller. The Gaugemaster GMC-D is their version of a dual controller in one unit.

Only you can decide whether a single controller (to control the train set) or a dual controller (that allows for future expansion) would be most appropriate.

Hi Sam,,may I recommend you join the collectors club before you purchase the set, you will receive 15%of the purchase price to spend later on the hornby website, not joining will give you 10%,its a nice way of getting further purchases a bit cheaper..

• 1 month later...

Glad he likes it.

Photos when up and running.

Check out power supplies. The original power supply in the set has very limited power and cuts out when there's a higher load on the locomotive.

Consider longer-term NOW, if you stay DC / Analogue, or go DCC / Digital.

Plenty on the internet to explain the difference.

Al.

Hi Sam

A good house is built upon a firm foundation. The equivalent for a model railway is the baseboard. You mentioned your Dad was a builder, surely he will understand.

By all means, size the baseboard to the layout. The only cautionary note would be to not go too large at first.

Start small and accomplish the basics. After the baseboard, a firm level, flat track is a great start. Maybe an operable point.

But most of all, have fun!!

Bee