From Gaugemaster: HST imminent

MikeMart

Nice to see they're also expecting the coaches imminently, I was expecting a wee while of running light engine before they arrived. Although, who knows what their definition of 'imminent' is...? I don't want to get my hopes up too high that it'll be any day now, as this is one I'm really looking forward to getting.

If you believe what's embedded in the web pages for the HST items then we have 22nd Feb for the Exec HST + coaches and 8th March for the other 2 variants with the matching coaches a few weeks later so they are all close.

Unfortunately both of those dates fall within the same credit card cycle for me so it could be an expensive month sweat_smile I will say that the product availability date was fairly accurate for the TTA tankers.

Nice. It’s a beautiful model. I couldn’t justify getting one, but I was very tempted. The detail on them is incredible, and seeing one running on the display layout at Warley was very impressive.

I reviewed my finances the other day and that has probably (…) tempered the temptation to buy this model! I’ve got the sound-fitted Blue/Grey HST on pre-order (ordered with the discount code I got when they cancelled the sound-fitted exec HST) and am a little relieved that delivery of the 50 & 66 pre-orders have been pushed back a bit as my monthly credit card balances are already shocking by the time the statement come along.

I’m hoping to go to Model Rail in Glasgow in 3 weeks, that may be an expensive decision as the Hornby magazine TT120 layout will be on show!

Early on (1970s early 1980s), HSTs were in fixed formations. 253XXX of the Western Region were fixed 7 coaches. 254XXX of the Eastern Region were 8 coaches. Eastern Region were the first to start splitting the formations apart. Generally the Eastern Region kept things in the 7 to 8 coach range. Western Region were slower to split the formations apart, but also tended to stick to 7 coaches.

I don't think this was super common, but there are always exceptions... 😉 Here's a picture of an Executive-liveried HST with three coaches:

http://www.penmorfa.com/Archive/HST%203%20car%20Abergele.jpg 

It's an edge case, but if someone gives you grief you can always pull up this picture.

My station platform (and sidings lengths) allows for 3 coaches to be purchased with the HST Swallow. Given that information which 3 would be most prototypical?

I'd go for First, Buffet and Standard.

I can mange 4 plus the two units. Gone for 1 x First, 1 x Buffet & 2 x Standard.

If I was running a 3car HST, I’d probably go 1 first and 2 std or 3 standard. From the perspective a limited amount of passenger seating means the buffet car would struggle to justify its cost to run. But ultimately there seems to have been many variations over the years! 😁