The "new" forums are now even worse than before.

Too Tall

4 minutes ago, What About The Bee said:

If you are on a phone, use your zoom feature.

If you are on a laptop / computer, go to your browser settings to change the scaling percentage.  Smaller percentage makes the type smaller, bigger percentage makes the type bigger.

Eventually, Hornby will sort this

Bee

I've made this all bold out of courtesy.  I am not shouting at you sir.  Hopefully, it is easier for you to see

Perhaps it is because I have a desktop with a decent screen, the text is readable for me and that is without my glasses on.

29 minutes ago, ColinB said:

I didn't rubbish this platform, actually I think it is ok. I was replying to the automatic issuing of badges, if you had read the posts properly you would have noticed. Now perhaps I am missing something but last time I used it about 2 hours ago RMWeb wasn't issuing badges. The only issue I have with the new forum is it updates too quickly when you tick the subject identifier , General, DCC or HM7000 and it updates without the normal flashing of the screen to indicate it has done it. There again now I know it does it, no issue. As to RMWeb, yes same package but obviously configured differently.

Colin you rubbished this forum, so I said RM Web used the same platform and you didn't rubbish that. At times you try my patience. I never mentioned badges on RM Web.

You didn't name the other forum that uses this platform but dumped it.

40 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

Colin you rubbished this forum, so I said RM Web used the same platform and you didn't rubbish that. At times you try my patience. I never mentioned badges on RM Web.

As far as I know I said there were more steps which I thought were unnecessary but I also said it was faster. I did make a derogatory comment but that got caned. Since then I can't remember rubbishing it, just pointing out that the badges were unnecessary for a serious forum which I am sure this is, it appears I am not the only one. As I keep saying it is ok, I even stated that I was happy with the text. So what is your issue? As to the other site that used badges that was for another one of my hobbies which is of no interest here. I use RMWeb a lot because generally they answer my questions and I find as long as I avoid the actual price of locos I get less grief. I have been working and developing software for most of my life, so I can generally work with any sort of web interface, but as I said this one is ok. I must admit I wouldn't have used check boxes, clicking on the title is a better interface as per RMWeb, but someone probably thought it was a good idea.

Hi Rallymatt

Actual words??  Perish the thought!

I do believe some good things have come out of this thread, moaning aside.  Yes, the format is different.  Whoop dee doo.  For the most part, there are the same knowledgeable folks here, which of course, is the real measure of any social media.  

I also think that Forum Accessibility should be a pinned post.  It has become quite evident that many would like it easier to see.  Not everyone knows how to manipulate their viewing device.

Bee

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 96RAF said:

I read this again, the other forum just dumped the badges not the package, I don't even know if they used this one. It was a Webpage forum for a totally different subject. I assume the badges are an "add on" that comes with most packages.

• Thanks 1

Would it be better to redirect all issues regarding the new platform to the Forum Feedback section, and list all the issues in one place? If the mods and developers/Hornby are to have a chance to getting to grips with any glitches, it makes sense to list everything in one location and by general subject, there already some topics open over there 😁

Edited by Rallymatt

Great 😊, It wasn’t directed at anyone in particular Colin, just a thought it would help collate the information in one place and try and keep related ideas together, ie all the issues/comments to do with with Editing, in one topic, Uploading images in another etc. 

8 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

Great 😊, It wasn’t directed at anyone in particular Colin, just a thought it would help collate the information in one place and try and keep related ideas together, ie all the issues/comments to do with with Editing, in one topic, Uploading images in another etc. 

It doesn't matter, it appears that posts are limited to a window of 15 minutes from when you posted them. Unfortunately, when you decide to edit the post within 15 minutes it lets you do the edit but the timer is still working from the time of the original post. So as you edit the offending item, the timer times out and won't let you put it back. As I said to one of the administrators it would be helpful if gave a "pop up" error message. The logic is all screwy, it should stop the timer when you decide to edit and start it again from zero, then time out after a predefined time. This is where it does differ from RMWEB.  

Not sure why you have quoted me Colin. My comments about putting relevant information regarding the new  platform in the Forum Feedback section, keeping some order, are completely unrelated to the issue you have identified relating to the editing function.
I think this does highlight need to keep things tight and in the right place to get problems solved 😁

• Like 1

Before this change I would go to the Forum as soon as I have switched my computer on, checked it several times during the day and (because I am on the opposite time zone to most) check it last thing at night before I switch off. NOW, I might check it twice a day and sometimes not at all, because it is just not user friendly to the non-computer geeks. I will probably just go back now when I have a problem or for a follow up, IF I can find the thread.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Aussie Fred said:

Before this change I would go to the Forum as soon as I have switched my computer on, checked it several times during the day and (because I am on the opposite time zone to most) check it last thing at night before I switch off. NOW, I might check it twice a day and sometimes not at all, because it is just not user friendly to the non-computer geeks. I will probably just go back now when I have a problem or for a follow up, IF I can find the thread.

Aussie Fred. I totally agree with you. 

I find just using the activity stream button (third from right at the top) gives a precis of updated threads and posts, especially on my phone. There’s relatively little activity in the other forums, so Hornby related content is easy to see.

By reviewing my sub forums of choice for anything I missed and then marking the whole forum as read (if I’ve not read older threads by now it’s unlikely I will) I made it easier to see new activity.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moccasin said:

…….By reviewing my sub forums ………

For me this is the elephant in the room 🐘, it’s too difficult to browse a sub forum of choice, yes you can do it, if you press enough buttons.

Honestly, the sub forums are loosing their identity now to me, may as well have one big one.

Edited by gilbo2
  • Like 2

The various HH Brand managers are having their formal guided tours of their forums next week and no doubt poor navigation will be mentioned by the Mods in attendance if they do not pick up on it themselves.

It is the one big thing that needs review in my opinion. Niff-naff and trivia like badges and rankings may have hidden metrics that generate the post counts, etc displayed in other places around the forum, so may not simply be removed. 
All these points have been collated by your Mods and fed back to Hornby Towers for review.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

....All these points have been collated by your Mods and fed back to Hornby Towers for review....

Good luck with your review next week, hope they see the same issue.

Edited by gilbo2
  • Thanks 1