The "new" forums are now even worse than before.

Too Tall

4 minutes ago, ntpntpntp said:

Oooh I got a "Dedicated" badge today, just for replying on something every day for a week.  Woopy-doo 🙂 
Hope I can rise to the rank of Ecky-Thump Grand Master one day 🙂 

Snap on dedicated badge!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ntpntpntp said:

Oooh I got a "Dedicated" badge today, just for replying on something every day for a week.  Woopy-doo 🙂 
Hope I can rise to the rank of Ecky-Thump Grand Master one day 🙂 

I know I got one yesterday. Sadly just accept it, eventually they will get fed up with their new toy. I think the idea is so you will look at the site more often.

2 hours ago, Moccasin said:

Thanks @96RAF I know many of us appreciate that you're as frustrated as everyone else that navigation is more difficult than it needs to be.

You only have to look at RM Web running the same platform to see how much better the nav layout could be. Their home page could be our all brands page and each brand leads to what you see there when you click their forums link. I realise we only have main forum sections unlike their more comprehensive multi sub-forum choices but it's the hyperlink method of navigation and simple ability to breadcrumb back along the path that is key. If the platform provider can do it for them they must be able to do it for us.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

You only have to look at RM Web running the same platform to see how much better the nav layout could be. Their home page could be our all brands page and each brand leads to what you see there when you click their forums link. I realise we only have main forum sections unlike their more comprehensive multi sub-forum choices but it's the hyperlink method of navigation and simple ability to breadcrumb back along the path that is key. If the platform provider can do it for them they must be able to do it for us.

They probably can, it all comes down to the specification you gave them. The administrator of RMWeb seems to be a bit of an aggressive character, that knows what he wants so perhaps that is the difference. Even with RMWeb it took a little while to find my way around. This new software is ok, there are are a few issues with the checkboxes for the forums, if you uncheck them all, I would expect it to display nothing but it does. Not a big thing. The other one for me on the old system it displayed all the topics on one screen with the last contributor with date at the side so it was easy to see if any of the topics had been updated. I think the new one gives you a list as you go in, of updated topics but not so easy to scan quickly. It works, as to the badges well it is one of those things that ill informed managers like to see, not much use really. Look at the positives, you don't get a ton of adverts like RMWeb.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, gilbo2 said:

You have to be quite grumpy to earn one of those :classic_wacko:

Just as well the full pallette of badges isn't up for grabs, else there might be a few individual awards voted for.

• Haha 1

If Hornby Towers wants to measure the public  interest in the badging system, all they need do is give us a toggle button that shuts all badges, tiers and awards, etc OFF for public view.

I, for one, would very much prefer to have "No Badge" as my badge.  "Badge Declined" as my badge.  Hornby Towers can continue to monitor the underlying data to their hearts content, that is just fine and dandy.  

Hornby Towers would then have a measure of how the public views the badges because they could see how many decline and how many would not.  The underlying data would still be present, as it always has.

Bee

• Like 2

@Ratch

I see you have a sheriff¹ badge so I will choose my words here with extraordinary care.  Let us hope you are not the Sheriff of Nottingham, but have a more benign view of conversation.

The badge system has a distinctly undesirable affect.  It strictly rewards longevity and verbosity.  Not quality.  As such, highly skilled and experienced members can easily and readily be "ranked" lower than a curmudgeon with a keyboard², simply because they do not comment enough. Not only does this engender ill will, it encourages competition, wherein a more collegiate atmosphere here in the Hornby Train forums applies.  

I do not know how it is in the Airfix Forums.  Perhaps you lads like to be ranked.  

But over here, many have distinctly expressed their desire to get rid of it.  Sure, I ignore my badges and associated silliness, but others see it and therein lies the rub.  I do not wish to be ranked higher than anyone.  I wish to remain ... just me.

Bee

¹moderator 

²me

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ratch said:

It's a gimmick for those younger than ourselves, and therefore of no concern to us. Why let it bother you? Someone thinks it's useful/fun/needed, just not us.

That is a self defeating statement.

How is a "gimmick for those younger than ourselves" relevant when no one under 18 is allowed any more?

23 minutes ago, SteveM6 said:

That is a self defeating statement.

How is a "gimmick for those younger than ourselves" relevant when no one under 18 is allowed any more?

Oh that one is easy to answer. Do you spend all day on Facebook, do you believe everything you read on Social Media? The majority of people under 40 it appears do. So yes nobody under 18 is allowed on the site (is that a new rule, I am sure before it was parents permission) but there is an awful lot of people between 18 and 40. As to the badges as I said earlier I take no notice who has what and should hope other people do as well. A lot of business looks for good communicators, unfortunately when they are doing that, they very rarely analyse whether what is said has any value. If Hornby want badges then who cares, bit like being in the Scouts seeing if you can fill your arm with them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ratch said:

Why don't you just ignore them - I do.

@Ratch (whilst simply ignoring them is sensible advice for uninterested regular members) please see the last few posts in the ‘forum rules’ thread for reasons why/how they could pose an issue for newbies.

• Sad 1

If I have signed into the Hornby site and click a link called Hornby Forums, I expect to be taken to the Hornby Forums, not a landing page where I see 3 of their brands and have to select Hornby a second time.

If I was signed in Airfix I see a link called Airfix Forums, and this takes you to the same landing page with 3 brands, where you need to click Airfix again to go to their forums.

It is the same if you are signed into Scalextrics too. You see a link called Scalextrics Forums, but this takes you to the landing page with 3 brands where you need to select Scalextrics again to go to their forum.

The extra step of duplicating the selection of what you want to see, is not needed because you actually need to be signed into each brand first to access their forums.

So this has introduced a usability issue due to how this was put together, compared to how it used to be. The extra brand step introduces more friction in getting to where you want to be. It is definitely worse than before.

@Splatz - there is no need to sign into the old website(s) to access the forum (only to access other things like shop etc.)

The forum now has its own website - community.hornbyhobbies.com - going dorect to this offers the sign in page & access to the landing page you’ve observed.  If you bookmark/favourite one of the subpages - you can even bypass the landing page too!