Class 50 locomotives

Mulsanne88

22 hours ago, Tim Allen said:

Either way it’s quality issues they need to address. 

Having spent quite some time recently reading and watching reviews of Hornby models it does seem to me that they (Hornby) have minimal oversight of the manufacturing process since they started outsourcing it. The result seems to be a very high variability in quality between different models (presumably dependent on the manufacture that they go with), and a poor track record with quality control. I do hope that they will see the error of their ways and change strategy and bring manufacturing back under their control (and onshore). 

Such as shame to hear you have had problems. You were really excited about your Class 50's arrival. Perhaps your idea of picking up the models directly from Rails is a good one as when the models are without fault they are a technological marvel and a delight.

Hornby delivered my Class 50 a couple of days ago so I've had all weekend to play with it. Very impressed so far although mine was also soaked in oil too 😅

I've put together a quick review for anyone wanting a close up look of the model. If you just want to see it running (with HM7000 sound) you can skip ahead to 08:44

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

A technical feature on the 50 that is great to see is that all axles are driven. It’s been quite common over the years to see only the outer two axles on CoCo arrangements driven. Hornby are certainly putting a lot of thought into TT models. 

• Like 2

@That Model Railway Guy ; just watched your video, nice mix of static and moving shots. 50 looking good. I am glad you referenced the sound quality. On the video it does come across as a bit distorted. I know the sound profile so well as I loaded it onto my BR 130 using an HM DCC N18 decoder and speaker when HM DCC launched. It’s a really great sound  profile in person. I did a video of Cold Start last year… I need to include plumes of white smoke and clag 🤣

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Upon closer inspection the whole pocket doesn’t move as freely. Could it be the internal spring that’s too taut and doesn’t allow for a lighter truck to tug the coupling toward centre to make for smooth passage round bends rather than be carried off in a straight line? It hasn’t happened with any of the coaches. 

Edited by Skelton Junction
Speloing

This does sometimes happen with long diesel locos pulling stock round tight bends if the stock doesn't have a matching KK mechanism.   I don't own one, but I seem to recall reading that the Dapol N gauge class 50 does similar things with certain stock!

Posted (edited)

Logic points to the couplings. With magnetic couplings the assembly is a fixed link between both KK Mechs. On the original couplings there is some flex in the point at which both couplings join and through the coupling assembly itself. 
The wheelbase of the towed stock starts having an effect. A coach bogie wheel base is substantially shorter than a vent van. If you project out the chords (wheel to curve interface) the angle is much more acute the longer the fixed wheel base, causing more drag. That will increase tension in the coupling system. I am sure magnetic couplings are generally only supplied with bogie (very short wheel base) stock 

Edited by Rallymatt

The mallard pulls rakes of peco wagons and rakes of vent vans (albeit somewhat indignantly I imagine) with magnetic couplings. As does the 08 and I dare say HST will too. When I flip the 50 over and gently flick the coupling it is stiffer than the others and tends to stick on side. I’ll try lengthier couplings and some more running in with coaches 

Posted (edited)

Stiffness won’t be helping but it’s all about the angles due to length of the class 50 as @ntpntpntp said. I was thinking about what he was saying and it makes a lot of sense. 
Hornby would have been testing with the supplied couplings 

Edited by Rallymatt
More

On 25/05/2024 at 15:46, BigTop said:

Has anyone managed to get the body back on after installing a decoder?  The decoder is blocking a screw hole.  There’s no way a screw would pass through that at the correct angle.  But the body won’t fully seat anyway as the screw hole on the underside of the roof dislodges the decoder. 
Shame.

image.jpg

Is the decoder fitted the correct way, have a look at Peachy TT120 on YouTube as in his review he fitted the decoder the wrong way around at first and I believe had an issue with the screws fouling.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You are correct, some have fitted the decoder in the wrong way, Big Top realised. The instructions could be done better as the plug on the decoder is not shown, it relies on people paying attention to the components illustrated on the top of the decoder to get orientation correct, and also looking at that huge white arrow painted on the loco PCB, but how many people would realise what that refers to? 
Fortunately N18 sockets and connections are configured so that if inserted incorrectly no harm is done. They will even have limited operation. 

Edited by Rallymatt