4VEP Sound Profile Availability.

Hi, Is there an update on when the 4VEP sound profile will be made available as Easter has long gone now?
I see the function list and profile picture on the web site but sound profile is not shown yet?
Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

It is getting to the stage that these 'are we nearly there yet Dad' posts will get the heave-ho as they add nothing to the thread. When any profile is ready it will pop up in the app, so all you have to do is watch, then when it does you can tell us.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Thomas-349483 said:

2 months late isn't impatient, it's disgraceful 

If there hadn't been any forecast date given you would have sat there fat, dumb and happy, without complaint. Or maybe you would have preferred an early release with flaws, that you could then also moan about. When it is ready you will see it in the app.

I shall recommend to the project manager that due to incessant moaning, he bins all forecast dates, then it will simply say it is listed as in the program. 

In the meantime for your info the 4-VEP release was held pending production of suitable icons for some of the functions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

On 16/05/2024 at 08:46, 96RAF said:

If there hadn't been any forecast date given you would have sat there fat, dumb and happy, without complaint. Or maybe you would have preferred an early release with flaws, that you could then also moan about. When it is ready you will see it in the app.

I shall recommend to the project manager that due to incessant moaning, he bins all forecast dates, then it will simply say it is listed as in the program. 

In the meantime for your info the 4-VEP release was held pending production of suitable icons for some of the functions.

It would have been nicer not to insult me, but thank for actually giving a reason why one of the ~5 profiles is late. If the forecasted dates are so wrong, then I'd be quite fine with getting rid of them, because this is just becoming another railmaster loco detection coming soon (aka never)

2 hours ago, 96RAF said:

Maybe come Monday all the whingers will be out of a job.

Ok enlighten me, what happens on Monday? As to the original post, where is Hornby going to find one of those to take some recordings? It is not the sort of thing you are going to find on a preserved railway.

12 hours ago, ColinB said:

Ok enlighten me, what happens on Monday? As to the original post, where is Hornby going to find one of those to take some recordings? It is not the sort of thing you are going to find on a preserved railway.

Maybe the 4-Vep profile will be released and all those that have been harping on about it will have nothing left to do.

Ref the recording, I'm not involved to that depth, so who knows.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 96RAF said:

Maybe the 4-Vep profile will be released and all those that have bern harping on about it will have nothing left to do.

Ref the recording, I'm not involved to that depth, so who knows.

May be next time Hornby shouldn't give a pre released copy to Jenny Kirk for her to do a demonstration to everyone for a currently non existent product. No wonder you guys are getting so much flack. 

Edited by ColinB

What she had was an early version released to the test team for evaluation. Permission was sought for a sneak preview video to whet the appetite, and at the time of recording, the expectation was a release within a couple of weeks. Jenny made that quite clear in her introduction to the video.

At that point neither she nor Hornby knew that a couple of refinements to the profile would be needed which unfortunately stretched the schedule.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ColinB said:

May be next time Hornby shouldn't give a pre released copy to Jenny Kirk for her to do a demonstration to everyone for a currently non existent product. No wonder you guys are getting so much flack. 

By that logic - no manufacturer should ever allow the general public to see any development stage (CAD, running samples, painted samples etc.) without  expecting the response to be an immediate demand of “where’s mine?”

This concept of expectation/entitlement simply bewilders me. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

Beta testing is a standard product/process assessment stage prior to release to a wider audience. It is also not unheard of for manufacturers to share with that wider audience the fact that the product is at that stage. It does not mean the product is ready for release. R-

10 hours ago, ColinB said:

Colin the test team has a whole bunch of profiles in the check loop before release. We also get updates to existing profiles to check improvements, as well as running the iOS and Android apps an update ahead of the live versions. Just in case you were unaware Jenny is formally part of the 20+ test team, not all of whom are hands on.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 96RAF said:

Colin the test team has a whole bunch of profiles in the check loop before release. We also get updates to existing profiles to check improvements, as well as running the iOS and Android apps an update ahead of the live versions. Just in case you were unaware Jenny is formally part of the 20+ test team, not all of whom are hands on.

I think the problem is there’s no update whatsoever from the team who tests it. As consumers, we’re completely left in the dark. 

If there was some sort of official weekly news release that gave us updates, then I think that would satisfy most people. 

whilst the HM7000 is a step in the right direction, it’s missed a few tricks, one of which could be solved simply by software. 

I’m also waiting for Hornby to release the Class 800 profile (listed for Q1), but I literally have no idea when its coming, and that frustrates me, as it does with a lot of people.

14 minutes ago, Adam-1306585 said:

I think the problem is there’s no update whatsoever from the team who tests it. As consumers, we’re completely left in the dark. 
   The test team exist to conduct the final user acceptance testing and to provide troubleshooting guidance on the forum. We cannot really comment on unreleased changes as we have all signed NDAs.

If there was some sort of official weekly news release that gave us updates, then I think that would satisfy most people. 
Why? Does any other manufacturer do that for their products outside the confines of the model media and their own websites?

whilst the HM7000 is a step in the right direction, it’s missed a few tricks, one of which could be solved simply by software. 

Examples? The project team won't know if you don't tell them.

Hornby could though.  It might be a simple matter of:

• Define some development pathway milestones starting with In Development and ending with Released
  • Give a weekly update of which profiles have met which milestones
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, SteveM6 said:

1) Sorry, by test team, I didn’t mean beta testers such as yourself. I meant the Hornby build/test team. I apologise for not being more clear.

2) Yes…in aviation, it’s quite common for manufacturers to put out regular updates on products they’re working on. With how active Hornby is on social media, there’s no reason why they can’t release a small update newsletter every week or two. The fact people are making threads about it and people are commenting about it on their social media posts shows ‘why’. We’re now half way through Q2 and there’s no official update on the 423-VEP or the Class 800.

3) Hornby could have had talks with other sound profile creators and came up with an approved third party ‘Content Store’ so people could download sound profiles that already exist, such as the Class 800 from digitalis or whatever they’re called. Another example of this is that Hornby don’t do a Class 158/9…Bachman do, but it would be great to put a HM7000 decoder into it, but there’s no sound profile. So I’d either be forced to use a Class 43 profile, or fit it with a LokSound decoder and profile instead. Hornby really missed a trick with here and it’s something that’s being mentioned over and over again as a feature that people really really want. 

What if other sound profilers do not wish to share their intellectual property? These are small businesses charging a premium fee for their carefully crafted products. Perhaps they are happy with the status quo. I don’t know.