Triang/Hornby loco surprise.

8 hours ago, Brew Man said:

Yes, back in Hornby Dublo days the centre two and in the case of the 8F centre four wheels were always flangeless.

Indeed my ancient 9F, which consists of an Airfix kit body on a Bowser chassis intended for the Pennsylvania RR Class I-1,
has flangeless wheels on the middle three axles, like the Pennsy prototype. Don't know if could handle R1, though.

I have a Jouef 2-10-0 which I think has all wheels flanged and goes around R1 curves with no problem. As it also has plenary of pick-ups it will crawl at walking pace even on fairly dirty steel track. Great loco that I got for a song but has a couple of handrails missing which I need to address at some point. 

My first loco was a Triang Jinty. Sixty plus years later the axle holes are worn oval but it still runs just fine. I was tempted to replace the steam roller wheels with something finer but decided against it. Triangs near military standard of engineering had a lot going for it crude as it may seem by modern standards 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@ Ello :- "Model railway law says everyone must have either a Triang Pannier, Jinty or Princess. Its just the way it is." - I think that I have all 3!!!

All 3 of the Model Railway Law!!!.JPG

JInty, Pannier & Princess of the Madel Railway Law!!!.JPG

Edited by JJ73
  • Like 2

I thought it was the F. S. , Mallard & either the Evening Star or the Tornado (or even both!!!) & even may be the Rocket??? 🤔🚂

Mallard, F. S. , Tornado, Rocket & Evening Star.JPG

Mallard, Tornado, Rocket, Evening Star & F. S..JPG

Edited by JJ73
To add photos!!!

16 hours ago, JJ73 said:

@ Ello :- "Model railway law says everyone must have either a Triang Pannier, Jinty or Princess. Its just the way it is." - I think that I have all 3!!!

All 3 of the Model Railway Law!!!.JPG

JInty, Pannier & Princess of the Madel Railway Law!!!.JPG

I had Princess (Loco driven version) couple of years ago and really like the way Loco ran, but sold it and can't remember why though. Never had Jinty or Pannier so must buy these 2 models if I can find within my budget, as I have spent quite a lot on buying various my favourite Locos.

• Like 1

I have received princess Royal (R2448) in blue (my favourite colour) weathered last week, been running in track but have few issues, is this as same as the princess you all taking about?

At one point I had more princesses than the LMS plus a box of spares I could have made several more complete locos from. They all went on a journey vis eBay apart from a few I wanted to keep. They are;

1. Plunger princess, I have had 3 but now only have 1 with the original coupling on the tender

2. Early version with MK2 motor, no-one else knows but I do!

3. My late simple black version that got I for a birthday in the 1970s, still its box with the white card cover. Screw above buffer beam. 

4. Version with large diameter solid wheels, only made for one year I think (possibly two)

5. Green version with valve gear. As is. 

6. Blue painted with Princess nameplate as a copy of the demo model made by Hornby

7. Detailed black version with later better chassis, screw above buffer beam. 

8. BR Maroon version with original chassis. 

I may find moire but these are the ones are in my Princess box. 

As for Jinties, no idea how many but the majority need to go apart from a couple of mint versions. Lots of Nellies and a few panniers. I think I got by Britannias down to two, now need to decide which of the several 3MT tanks I really need!

That’s the trouble with job lots, you get stuff you don’t need but can’t seem to want to get rid of. I have now been banned from getting them!

• Like 2

First loco! It had the motor removed for some reason lost to time and most of the coupling rods/valve gear lost to hard playing and I have no idea why my Dad replaced that rear driver.

Still, I can't quite bin it! Must be the Chuff Chuff tender. 😎

P8310112.thumb.JPG.5d4b7c435d7ece81119d7e5362f7225c.JPG

• Like 1

My Jinty was under the Christmas tree in the mid-fifties, Princess came not that long after.

The controller was battery powered, two enormous cells with spring connections on the top.  Took 27 goes to get the top of the battery box aligned so it would work.  Must have upgraded to mains supply at some stage as I don’t remember the cells ever being replaced.

It’s on the wrong side! 

On another matter I have just seen the Hornby re-introduction of a limited edition yellow Connie No 6, a shame it’s the old 0-4-0 Thomas moulding on the modern chassis rather than the real thing! At least it has red lining and the font of the name looks to be correct. 

15 hours ago, Fishmanoz said:

My Jinty was under the Christmas tree in the mid-fifties, Princess came not that long after.

The controller was battery powered, two enormous cells with spring connections on the top.  Took 27 goes to get the top of the battery box aligned so it would work.  Must have upgraded to mains supply at some stage as I don’t remember the cells ever being replaced.

I remember the battery operated controllers. I had a similar one with my Hornby Dublo set. Not the very large batteries that you describe but what were called Bell Batteries with screw terminals. I remember the batteries didn't last five minutes, so upgrade to a Hornby Marshall II was swift.

Hi

I have 6 Tri-ang princesses, BR Black Princesses Elizabeth and Victoria, BR Green Princesses Victoria (with smoke) and Elizabeth, BR Maroon Princess Royal and LMS Maroon Princess Elizabeth. 

Also  8 Tri-ang Jinty tanks mainly BR black some with smoke units also the Railway Children brown Jinty, plus 2x Deely 3f in BR black with smoke and 1x in LMS maroon. (Same chassis used in both locos and others)

• Like 1