Flying Scotsman steam.

I've just had an email to say that the new steam generating Scotsman has arrived and will be dispatched shortly. 

Good news. I just need the Black 5 now, which bizarrely, I ordered 8 months before the Scotsman.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Aussie Fred said:

Got same here, They could have waited a week, for my CC account turnover. Had to put another $500 into my CC account in a hurry.

Same for me, I cleared my CC this morning and just found the pending payment. Ah well!

I now have a dilemma though. The model is in BR guise as 60103, but when I drove the Scotsman, it was in LNER colours as it was then owned by Alan Pegler. Maybe they will produce another version.

18 minutes ago, LesXRN said:

It's now being shown as dispatched with delivery assigned to DPD. Great news.

It is when you get the mail from DPD, you know it is dispatched. Hornby in the past have sent that mail out and DPD haven't got it until several days later.

• Like 1

Must alter depending on where you are. My last order was notified to me by DPD as being expected by DPD on 7 June [and they’ll let me know when it’s out for delivery] and it was delivered the next day. I’m in Dorset. R-

3 minutes ago, RB51 said:

Must alter depending on where you are. My last order was notified to me by DPD as being expected by DPD on 7 June [and they’ll let me know when it’s out for delivery] and it was delivered the next day. I’m in Dorset. R-

It depends on when DPD come it to collect it. Hornby send the mail once it is in dispatch ready to be picked up. One of my orders took ages so I phoned up Hornby and a nice lady explained how it worked. I think in that case it had somehow got in the wrong pile, anyway she sorted it out for me.

• Confused 1

@RB51

I note you are confused by Colin's statement.   Permit me a moment to clear this up.

Firstly, this isn't Hornby specific, rather it is a common thing.  It has everything to do with how a shipment is treated at the Shipping Department.

When Shippimg Department packages an item, they prepare to ship.  They register with the carrier and obtain a shipping number.  This is entered into the database.  The item placed on the loading dock for carrier pickup.  Many computer systems treat this as "Shipped".  Yet if you go to the carrier's webpage and enter the shipping number, it is marked something to the effect of "waiting for package".  That is, the carrier recognizes the number but does not have your package yet.

When the carrier takes possession of the package, the status at the carrier will change to reflect.  However, this does not necessarily result in any change at the origination, as the item is marked as "Shipped"

This gray zone was the subject of a bitter fight over at eBay.  Vendors were gaming the system.  We finally convinced eBay to install this step in their accounting of shipments and the community is the better for it.

Hopefully, this clears up any confusion.

Bee

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, What About The Bee said:

@RB51

I note you are confused by Colin's statement.   Permit me a moment to clear this up.

Firstly, this isn't Hornby specific, rather it is a common thing.  It has everything to do with how a shipment is treated at the Shipping Department.

When Shippimg Department packages an item, they prepare to ship.  They register with the carrier and obtain a shipping number.  This is entered into the database.  The item placed on the loading dock for carrier pickup.  Many computer systems treat this as "Shipped".  Yet if you go to the carrier's webpage and enter the shipping number, it is marked something to the effect of "waiting for package".  That is, the carrier recognizes the number but does not have your package yet.

When the carrier takes possession of the package, the status at the carrier will change to reflect.  However, this does not necessarily result in any change at the origination, as the item is marked as "Shipped"

This gray zone was the subject of a bitter fight over at eBay.  Vendors were gaming the system.  We finally convinced eBay to install this step in their accounting of shipments and the community is the better for it.

Hopefully, this clears up any confusion.

Bee

With EBay it still goes on, it they take it to a Post Office then usually you can work out when it will come, but if they use the collect service then it is anyone's guess. As to Hornby when they send you the mail this is a link to DPD local tracking link, in my case it says "We've received your order details, and we are expecting your parcel". Now hopefully tomorrow morning the message will change but sometimes it takes a couple of days. It is only then that you know when it will get delivered.

By coincidence I've been running my R2687 this last weekend, and it's as smooth, quiet, and fast as the day it was made - perhaps - running beautifully!

I'd love the diecast running boards, but either my eyes are rose tinted, or I've an exception - mine's as straight as a die - as far as I can see!

TBH I'd drawn Scotland in the works Euros sweep - 'nough said!!

Al.

27 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

By coincidence I've been running my R2687 this last weekend, and it's as smooth, quiet, and fast as the day it was made - perhaps - running beautifully!

I'd love the diecast running boards, but either my eyes are rose tinted, or I've an exception - mine's as straight as a die - as far as I can see!

TBH I'd drawn Scotland in the works Euros sweep - 'nough said!!

Al.

That is the trouble, most of the modern ones run really well, so Hornby has to fit gismos to make us buy another one. I haven't got a BR one and the option with smoke was quite a good deal, hence why I bought it.

• Like 1

I just happened across an advert on the Bay for a well know shop in Sheffield, they're charging less than the price quoted when I ordered it in September 2022 from Hornby.

40 minutes ago, LesXRN said:

I just happened across an advert on the Bay for a well know shop in Sheffield, they're charging less than the price quoted when I ordered it in September 2022 from Hornby.

Amazing, I just checked and it is about £7.00 difference and I am sure I got the Hornby club discount. The only time it is good to order from Hornby is when you think they might put their price up in the future. So if as say a couple of years ago they raise their prices by 20% then you will get it at the old price. Hornby at the moment are at the limit at which they can charge, so for the moment the price will not go up for a while and they removed the 10% discount and replaced it with points. So for the moment a Retailer like Rails or TMC will offer a better price and probably a better service. Incidentally the DPD site still hasn't received the package from Hornby so probably not today.

1 minute ago, ColinB said:

Incidentally the DPD site still hasn't received the package from Hornby so probably not today.

You will likely find DPD picks up on a daily contract basis in batches upon call forward notification from the despatching depot. I very much doubt a Hornby chap toddles off to DPD with parcels under his arm.

1 minute ago, 96RAF said:

You will likely find DPD picks up on a daily contract basis in batches upon call forward notification from the despatching depot. I very much doubt a Hornby chap toddles off to DPD with parcels under his arm.

No, I knew that from the chat with Hornby months ago. Generally the woman at Customer Services said they pickup daily.

Another update folks.

I gave DPD an alternative address as the kids went off on holiday today. It was supposed to be delivered to the next door neighbour today. For some reason, the delivery guy decided to leave it at a random address on the street instead. I've now have to contact my daughter, who is now in Crete, so she can ask her next door neighbour to try and retrieve the loco from the random neighbour. 

You really couldn't make this up. 

@LesXRN  Did they take a delivery photo?          Only once have I had this sort of problem (wasn't DPD).  I posted the photo on the local residents facebook group and very quickly someone piped up "I know where that front door is!"  They went round there (wasn't their house), retrieved the parcel and dropped it off at mine.  All in about 30 minutes 🙂  Very neighbourly even though they weren't actually a neighbour!