Flying Scotsman steam.

I have used those micro-fibre cloths and they really shift the muck, except they are prone to snagging on any points or other sticky out bits like droppers wires, etc. i stuck a bit on a piece of board to make for ease of handling, and when it gets too grubby I bin it and use a new bit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

I have found a small block of balsa wood is ideal for track cleaning, hardly need to clean track at all these days, once every 6 months or so. Inox MX3 has interesting properties (made from Sheep oil 😁) but I have traction tyres on some models and the two don’t mix well. 

Thanks RM, Yes the "experts" have pointed out that problem.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 96RAF said:

I have used those micro-fibre cloths and they really shift the muck, except they are prone to snagging on any points or other sticky out bits like droppers wires, etc. i stuck a bit on a piece of board to make for ease of handling, and when it gets too grubby I bin it and use a new bit.

Not being very good at soldering the dropper wires, I have already found that out and stopped three quarter way round the layout and I found that the power got round with that discrepency quite well, but as the bus wire is there anyway, it's another job for "Ron"

Edited by Aussie Fred
  • Haha 1

Hi all. I’ve had major issues with mine. First, water started leaking out the firebox door so I had to add more glue to seal the leak. The steam on mine works okay. I had to mess with a few CVs but even then, it’s still inconsistent. I tried to change the profile to an A4 (just for fun,) realized I couldn’t use the smoke function on that profile, and tried to go back to the A1/A3 steam generator profile and… it doesn’t work. It looks like it’s missing sound data? Anyone have a fix? Or is this something Hornby has to fix within the app? 

IMG_4092.jpeg

IMG_4100.png

If you head over to the HM 7000/DCC pages you will find all the details you need to correct your profile download issue. The firebox door does not seal in the water, there is a specific tank that is fully sealed. It sounds like you have miss filled it (too much or too fast) 

Hi Folks.

The missus made a big boo-boo the other day and (as she does) bought me an Engine to say 'sorry'. So I have a brand new premium packaged Steam Generating Scotsman.... I have read through this thread and can report the same issue as many on here. The connector between the engine and tender is intermittent. If I put slight pressure between the engine and tender (as if pulling them apart) then everything works. Once released however, motive power is lost, and the steam/sound becomes hit and miss.

What a disappointment!

Back to Hornby with this one I think... and even then.... if it is design flaw, then sooner or later the fault will re-occur. Sadness. I also have the black five on pre-order. Doh!

Hornby returns dept are going to be busy methinks.

On 28/06/2024 at 14:32, Britannia Builder said:

Sadly my FS has started to misbehave. The chuffing sound cuts in and out randomly; the other sounds are OK. I suspect that the decoder isn't getting the signal from the rotating driving wheel to tell it when to chuff. It typically cuts in and out several times in a circuit of the track, and tends to cut in if the speed is changed.

I'm pleased to say that my Flying Scotsman has now been returned by Hornby, exactly two weeks after I sent it for repair with a drawbar problem, so not a bad turnaround time. They say that they have replaced the tender chassis, and indeed it has a new decoder with a different Bluetooth address. It's working nicely so far!

Regards, John

• Like 3

My Scotsman leaves for Hornby today.

My wife (who is quite the dragon) has insisted that they provide a new one (consumer protection act). They finally agreed after some really poor and unnecessary behaviour from a Hornby representative.  I have made a secret small mark on the one which is leaving. It will be interesting to see if we get the same one back.

In many cases I’d prefer one of the service guys to go through a model and correct any issue. Usually it’s an adjustment or an item damaged in assembly/packing so having that attended to at Hornby is better than simply another new model. I have always found the QA guys spot on for deciding if a new model is required, or if they can make it how it should be. 

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Thanks 1

On 02/07/2024 at 22:44, What About The Bee said:

Disappointing @sir johnbut Hornby will sort this.   Please do keep us posted.

Bee

Well she's back with a new front bogie and a new tender bottom no time to try her today but will test tomorrow morning and report back

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

In many cases I’d prefer one of the service guys to go through a model and correct any issue. Usually it’s an adjustment or an item damaged in assembly/packing so having that attended to at Hornby is better than simply another new model. I have always found the QA guys spot on for deciding if a new model is required, or if they can make it how it should be. 

That was my feeling. However, the wife (the purchaser) felt that if this is a series issue affecting all Scotsman, then Hornby should pull the batch rather than passing on 'known to be faulty' goods to its customers. She has a point.

1 hour ago, Paul-380474 said:

That was my feeling. However, the wife (the purchaser) felt that if this is a series issue affecting all Scotsman, then Hornby should pull the batch rather than passing on 'known to be faulty' goods to its customers. She has a point.

She is right, but the model railway community accepts it like it does many other things that these companies do wrong. My one works ok for the moment but it is worrying that it could fail in the non too distant future. 

4 hours ago, Paul-380474 said:

if this is a series issue affecting all Scotsman, then Hornby should pull the batch rather than passing on 'known to be faulty' goods to its customers.

It is extremely unlikely to be a whole series issue. There will be many satisfied customers who don’t register with fora to say how wonderful their latest purchase works.

Currently it has to be recognised that QA/QC is not being done to a desirable level.  The choices are to:
• contact Hornby & request improvement (cynic in me believes that will have no effect considering Hornby is not currently a profitable company.)
• accept that every new purchase might be perfect or dodgy & be willing to use repair/replace process as many times as it takes to get a perfect one.
• realise that you don’t have the time/energy it might take to achieve an acceptable outcome & decide it isn’t worth the risk.

On 02/07/2024 at 22:44, What About The Bee said:

Disappointing @sir johnbut Hornby will sort this.   Please do keep us posted.

Bee

Well my scottie is now running perfectly no issues at all.  With regards to the argument about repair or replacement who's to say the replacement won't have the same issues? I was quite happy to send mine back for repair the team there have done a great job, the very few times I have had to send a loco back it's always been repaired and given no more trouble

Regards john

• Like 6

I have to agree with John on that logic. The guys in QA are very skilled at getting things sorted and from that perspective their ‘fettling skills’ are well worth taking advantage of. These guys know what the models should run and perform like, the model makers in the factory are skilled in assembly but I doubt they have the same skills. As models become more complex a lot more takes fine tweaking. 

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Like 1

Agreed @Rallymattand further to that point, of the FS SS returned, there will be commonality of issues.  That is, the team will have seen the problem before, know the solution and will execute the known fix.   There will not be much in the way of experimentation or investigation.  Much more like 'this is problem X, apply known solution Z"

Not all repairs will be so straightforward, but for Flying Scotsman Super Smoke, there is already a known list.

Happy to hear @sir johngot his model back and repaired.  Have fun!! 

Bee

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Britannia Builder said:

I proudly showed the steaming Flying Scotsman to my grandsons today, only to be told that they have a BRIO battery-powered loco with the same steaming technology! https://www.brio.co.uk/en-GB/pdp/63388400

Regards, John

I was at the North York Moors Railway a couple of weeks ago. Yes they were selling a model (well I think that loosely fits the item) that blows smoke, yes it is battery powered. The clever bit with Hornby is fitting in a small space.

23 minutes ago, What About The Bee said:

Hi Colin 

Questions, since you observed it:

Did the Brio chuff? 

Does the Brio even have moving valve gear to sync with?

Bee

It wasn't a Brio it was a cheap toy (well not really cheap) smoked and changed the light display. I must admit I wasn't that interested in it it, the woman in the gift shop said they had sold loads. Most toys have micros (usually some really cheap Pic derivative or Chinese equivalent) these days so controlling it is not that difficult.