Sound profiles - loading times

The previous thread on this subject provided some interesting content regarding the variables that may affect the time taken to load sound profiles to HM7K decoders, particularly the apparently different results produced by different devices across different operating systems.

Included in this debate was information direct from Hornby that a strong WiFi signal for a significant part of the load time, although some pouted scorn on that.

This week I improved my WiFi coverage by adding additional boosters to my existing WiFi network having established there was some drop off in the railway shed. 

Although I have not as yet measured the speeds, on Thursday three loads of the 4F profile without the extra boosters took 50/60 minutes each. Today, the same profile on the same decoder, but with the extra boosters in place,  resulted in 20/25 minutes for each of three loads.

1 hour ago, SteveM6 said:

Included in this debate was information direct from Hornby that a strong WiFi signal for a significant part of the load time, although some pouted scorn on that.

🤣🤣

27 minutes ago, Brew Man said:

As well as that I was laughing at who you might have talking about.

How could you possibly say such a thing!😇😇😇

2 hours ago, Fishmanoz said:

All this pouting, and huffing and puffing I might add, could be avoided if only the edit limit were removed!

Absolutely, fishy, can't see the point of the restriction.

Edited by Brew Man

Why are you resurrecting this thread? It was locked, unless of course you want to prove something. In true Forum style this one needs locking or deleting before you guys embarrass yourselves further. That is the trouble with Forums everything is logged.

Colin, the previous thread was locked because you and another 'contributor' insisted on a tedious technical debate of no interest and probably beyond the understanding of many others on the forum.

It was left that if anyone had any further comment to make then a new thread should be started. That is exactly what I have done.

Read my original post and you will see that I have conducted profile loading tests on a before and after basis having changed a single variable i.e. the stability and strength of my WiFi signal. The results so far appear to validate the original statement from the Hornby project team that strong and stable WiFi and Bluetooth are needed for the duration of the loading process.

This information is, in my opinion, of value to anyone who may have experienced similar issues or new users just coming to the HM7K system.

Or, to quote your partner in crime in getting the original thread locked, "if you don't like the thread, don't read it."

Mods, the thread can now be locked.

14 minutes ago, SteveM6 said:

Colin, the previous thread was locked because you and another 'contributor' insisted on a tedious technical debate of no interest and probably beyond the understanding of many others on the forum.

It was left that if anyone had any further comment to make then a new thread should be started. That is exactly what I have done.

Read my original post and you will see that I have conducted profile loading tests on a before and after basis having changed a single variable i.e. the stability and strength of my WiFi signal. The results so far appear to validate the original statement from the Hornby project team that strong and stable WiFi and Bluetooth are needed for the duration of the loading process.

This information is, in my opinion, of value to anyone who may have experienced similar issues or new users just coming to the HM7K system.

Or, to quote your partner in crime in getting the original thread locked, "if you don't like the thread, don't read it."

Mods, the thread can now be locked.

I proved that the extended time has nothing to do with WiFi signal. Now either you mis heard what Hornby told you or the guy who told you wasn't close enough to the product. As I said before there will be people chasing around for a better WiFi signal for no reason at all.

Now you can lock it.

22 minutes ago, RDS said:

Steve M6, I have deleted your comment.  It is unacceptable to react like that, whatever your frustration!

I believe my reaction was perfectly justified albeit not within the forum rules - which I was fully aware of when I posted the comment.

I started this particular thread to shed some more light on an issue that a number of people had previously commented on in the hope that my particular experience may be of benefit to some.

The insinuation that I had misunderstood an explanation from someone at the highest level of the HM7K project is not only misguided but also insulting.

I for one am sick to death that the person making those comments is allowed to continue to use this and other forums to deride and undermine Hornby, make unsubstantiated claims about their processes and procedures and make defamatory comments regarding Ms Kirk amongst others.

Colin, the locked thread on loading times is currently 6 topics down the page on this forum.

As you are well aware, that topic included extensive debate on the relevance/irrelevance of WiFi signal strength.

If you now actually read Steve’s OP in this topic, he carries out an experiment on loading times with the only variable being wiFi signal strength, including how he was able to set that up.  Consequently, I consider his finding, that with a stronger signal the loading time is halved, to be reliable.  That is despite any arguments about theoretical relevance as the practical has proved otherwise.

I apologise in advance should you take offence at my “actually read” suggestion as I am well aware that you state that you do so.  However, I have observed topics previously where at least nuances previously posted seem to have escaped your notice, and this would appear to be another instance.  My observation is well supported by your believing this is the locked thread resurrected, when it clearly isn’t. 

Edited by Fishmanoz

Fact: WiFi/Data strength/reliability can affect profile installation times.

Fact: Bluetooth strength/reliability can affect profile installation times.

Fact: Device (phone/tablet) components can affect profile installation times.

Fact: None of the above are mutually exclusive or inclusive.

No Hornby dev has stated anything which contradicts those facts & no tester has stated or implied that they have!

If anyone believes that their situation appears to dispute these facts, or appears not to be covered (i.e. decoder fault or app bug etc.)  Please contact hm.customercare@hornby.com & an extremely helpful & knowledgeable person will respond & provide you with a resolution!

• RB51 locked this topic