A Grand Day Out

Just got home from a lovely day at The Bluebell Railway. Numerous layouts and traders at Horstead Keynes and Sheffield Park stations, as well as their full size toys to look at. Sir Archibald Sinclair, Fenchurch & a 4MT in steam. And 20% off locomotives and train packs in their own shop. Well worth the entry fee (£32), it's open tomorrow too, so if you are looking for something to do, give this a go.

As a former member, I would regularly attend with the memsahib and our dog. Regrettably, a good few of the traders vocalised their feelings that dogs were not welcome.

Sadly their attitude means I now rarely visit the Bluebell and choose to spend my tourist and modelling pounds elsewhere.

Edited by SteveM6

12 hours ago, SteveM6 said:

As a former member, I would regularly attend with the memsahib and our dog. Regrettably, a good few of the traders vocalised their feelings that dogs were not welcome.

Sadly their attitude means I now rarely visit the Bluebell and choose to spend my tourist and modelling pounds elsewhere.

I concur with your thoughts, if my dog is not welcome, I figure neither am I and don't go. Oh, for the European ideas that allow dogs in cafes and shopping centres.

• Like 1

I can’t think of any preserved railway that my dogs have been unwelcome at. Special mention must be made of the Ravenglass and Eskdale railway. At the time one of our then elderly dogs (collie/lab/patterdale cross) was in an all terrain buggy as she had severe arthritis but was fully compus mentis and our plan was to get the train from Ravenglass to Dalegarth and walk back along the Eskdale trail as it was advertised as wheelchair friendly. When we asked about taking the buggy on the train not only did they secure us a place in a carriage with a wheelchair space, so I didn’t have to dismantle the buggy but also gave us a free ticket for her. Dogs travelling on the train also got a packet of biscuits and a pack of poo bags. Not bad for £1. 

We have visited the railway on a number of occasions since and always received a friendly welcome. We have also done the Eskdale trail several times it is very good although steep in one or two places and has recently had the worst section improved. The people at Muncaster Castle have tried to charge us until I pointed out we were on a public right of way. They have been known to remove the signs apparently! We stay in the area quite often as my partner organises yoga retreats in a B&B there. I get a free weekend away usually spent walking in the fells and watching the steam trains in the valley below. 

No tanks to the person on the boat on Derwent water who suggested we leave the buggy on the shore and refused to let us on with it. 

• Like 1

It sounds unusual not to permit well-controlled animals.  Perhaps there had been an issue - if not yours, then someone else's just before you arrived?

It is understood, there's a huge effort made by a largely volunteer support force / personnel to establish and maintain these facilities.  If people start disrespecting this effort - or at least how it may be perceived - then perhaps 'a decision' had been made based upon this.

Al.

Our fairly local small heritage railway (not the MNR) has recently made their car park £1 an hour managed by an external company - CCTV ANPR checks you in and out. They claim it was brought about due to dog walkers hogging their car park to avail themselves of the adjacent Marriott's Way footpath (I am told it's a permissive way not a public footpath whatever the difference is).

To say this bright idea is extremely unpopular would be an understatement. Most folk using the footpath normally call at the cafe anyway, which is very dog friendly.  Several groups that use the place (including ours and the local car and bike clubs) threatened to boycott it such that a white list has been drawn up for those groups to have free parking, as can anyone by buying something at the cafe and simply logging exemption. Add to that they have to switch it off for special event days, else attendances fall off dramatically, and it is obvious the whole thing has turned round to bite them in the bum.

That reminds me of a trip we did to the UK before Covid and we were told about a fairground that had a carpark next it and a man was on the gate day in, day out, collecting two quid for parking, Then after quite a few years he wasn't there to collect the money. The fairground people contacted the council to find out what happened to him and they said they thought the fairground had employed him. It appears he just set himself up and pocketed the money and probably retired to the south of France with all his money.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Fred said:

I concur with your thoughts, if my dog is not welcome, I figure neither am I and don't go. Oh, for the European ideas that allow dogs in cafes and shopping centres.

I get the impression that it may be an example of the North/South divide. We live down South (unfortunately) but holiday almost exclusively up North. A very different approach to dogs in each area is very evident.

47 minutes ago, Aussie Fred said:

That reminds me of a trip we did to the UK before Covid and we were told about a fairground that had a carpark next it and a man was on the gate day in, day out, collecting two quid for parking, Then after quite a few years he wasn't there to collect the money. The fairground people contacted the council to find out what happened to him and they said they thought the fairground had employed him. It appears he just set himself up and pocketed the money and probably retired to the south of France with all his money.

I guess you'd call that an enterprising spirit, however misplaced.

@96RAF, as I understand, a permissive right of way is one where it’s technically private but the landowner allows access but can close access for various reasons. Up across the North Pennines there are some of the cycle/bridle/foot paths that cross shooting moors, they can be closed during breeding season and shooting season but generally open rest of year. 

• Thanks 1

At a risk of taking this thread further off on a tangent, @SteveM6 & @Aussie Fred as a retail manager and having been bitten by a dog which jumped up at the till point instore and having to clear up 'mess' deposited near the front of the shop on numerous occasions I have to be with the traders on this. @atom3624 Unfortunately we cannot rely on all dogs to be 'well controlled'. I make a point of swerving 'dog friendly' cafés. Welcoming one type of customer often results in the alienation of another. 

@96RAF Having had CCTV and ANPR at two sites I managed I can fully sympathise with your local Hertiage Railway. Having come into work one morning at 0600 and not been able to park myself I had Head Office engage a carpark management company. I had a FB hate campaign against myself and other members of staff. I have also had to deal with too many letters from people who 'just nipped' into the dentist etc etc and got a ticket. Park in their carpark! For someone travelling to visit your local railway, £1/hr is peanuts when you have parking close to the facility. Driving to an event and finding it full of doggers might be a little disappointing. Or not.

And I am well North of the North/South divide. 😎

While we are off tangent, I agree there are good and bad dogs around, just as much as good/bad customers. I work in retail security management and have had to occasionally clean up 'detritus' from human customers but never from a dog.

The Bluebell itself is completely dog friendly apart from the Bessemer Arms restaurant (understandably). The comments came from stallholders trading from paste tables on a public access station platform. A platform that you have to use to board the dog friendly train.

• Like 1

Plenty of dogs were there. Bluebell Railway are 100% dog friendly. If the traders are unhappy, then tough. Nobody forced them to turn up, and they have no say in how TBR runs its facilities.

11 hours ago, ellocoloco said:

At a risk of taking this thread further off on a tangent, @SteveM6 & @Aussie Fred as a retail manager and having been bitten by a dog which jumped up at the till point instore and having to clear up 'mess' deposited near the front of the shop on numerous occasions I have to be with the traders on this. @atom3624 Unfortunately we cannot rely on all dogs to be 'well controlled'. I make a point of swerving 'dog friendly' cafés. Welcoming one type of customer often results in the alienation of another. 

@96RAF Having had CCTV and ANPR at two sites I managed I can fully sympathise with your local Hertiage Railway. Having come into work one morning at 0600 and not been able to park myself I had Head Office engage a carpark management company. I had a FB hate campaign against myself and other members of staff. I have also had to deal with too many letters from people who 'just nipped' into the dentist etc etc and got a ticket. Park in their carpark! For someone travelling to visit your local railway, £1/hr is peanuts when you have parking close to the facility. Driving to an event and finding it full of doggers might be a little disappointing. Or not.

And I am well North of the North/South divide. 😎

The North York Moors Railway is a lot more than a £1.00, I just add the cost to the cost of the day out. My only complaint is the machine you have to use to get the ticket. With the ANPR ones I get annoyed in that you have to go to their website set up an account and then pay. It would be ok if you weren't trying to do this on a smartphone with limited display plus dodging the rogue websites that are trying to get you credit card details (much easier to get scammed on a phone as all the information on a site is not easily displayable).

• Like 1

So they assume everyone has a smartphone ? thats taking things too far IMO.

I do have one, but I make a point of only using it as a phone/camera, and I avoid any apps beyond what I want on it, like the plague !

49 minutes ago, ColinB said:

The North York Moors Railway is a lot more than a £1.00, I just add the cost to the cost of the day out. My only complaint is the machine you have to use to get the ticket. With the ANPR ones I get annoyed in that you have to go to their website set up an account and then pay. It would be ok if you weren't trying to do this on a smartphone with limited display plus dodging the rogue websites that are trying to get you credit card details (much easier to get scammed on a phone as all the information on a site is not easily displayable).

Try some of the car parks in the remoter parts of the Lake District. The only way to pay is on an app by phone and there is no phone signal or wi-fi?????????

BTW I will also make mention of the Welsh Highland Railway, when we asked about travelling with the dog buggy they said as long as we booked in advance the guard would meet us at Beddgelert and help us into a disabled space on the train. He did just that and helped us off at Rhyd Ddu where there is a wheelchair friendly path all the way back (in the downhill direction). We have done that one twice. 

When we had two young healthy dogs (we have now but different dogs) and used to travel by train a lot they got used to it and one day I had to go out to a site near the East Lancs Railway’s Irwell Vale station at very short notice. Having the dogs with me I took them along and when leaving I could hear a train coming so went onto the platform to watch it. As it came in and stopped they nearly managed to drag me onto it as they expected to be getting on. Noisy steam engine, no problem. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We (the wife and I) have just had a "grand day out" sitting behind Merchant Navy Class 35028 Clan Line. Boarded at Woking and got off at Weymouth - and it didn't rain.

IMG_1720.jpg

Edited by Bulleidboy
  • Like 5

Well done and a superb locomotive - possibly the most 'enthusiastically driven' of the fine big old ladies of yore - so many videos can be accessed of 35028 storming along at '75 mph' - I reckon there might be 'and a little bit' in some of the videos!!

I'm certain you enjoyed it and excellent choice Sir!!

Al.

Thanks Al. I won't say it was a once in a life-time trip, but we went "Premier Dining" and paid the supplement for a table for two rather than four. Service was first class. We left Woking a few minutes after ten, and were given Bucks Fizz followed by breakfast - melon, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, croissants plus all the tea and coffee you could drink. Clan Line was turned at Yeovil and a Class 47 took us on to Weymouth, arriving at about 3.30pm - two hours walking along Weymouth front and the Harbour - no rain. Train departed at 5.36pm - Clan Line up front, and a four course, silver service meal was served almost immediately on leaving. Arrived back in Basingstoke at 9.06 - on time. Not a down-side, but the lights failed in our carriage, however the MD of the Railway Touring Company was sitting adjacent to us and went into B&Q in Weymouth and bought LED lamps for every table in the carriage - no need to do this, but she went the extra mile to keep everyone happy. The route back was through Bournemouth, New Forest and Southampton, so a little quicker than the outward journey - and the driver certainly gave it some welly. A great day out☺️

Edited by Bulleidboy
  • Like 2

On 30/06/2024 at 11:31, 96RAF said:

Our fairly local small heritage railway (not the MNR) has recently made their car park £1 an hour managed by an external company - CCTV ANPR checks you in and out. They claim it was brought about due to dog walkers hogging their car park to avail themselves of the adjacent Marriott's Way footpath (I am told it's a permissive way not a public footpath whatever the difference is).

To say this bright idea is extremely unpopular would be an understatement. Most folk using the footpath normally call at the cafe anyway, which is very dog friendly.  Several groups that use the place (including ours and the local car and bike clubs) threatened to boycott it such that a white list has been drawn up for those groups to have free parking, as can anyone by buying something at the cafe and simply logging exemption. Add to that they have to switch it off for special event days, else attendances fall off dramatically, and it is obvious the whole thing has turned round to bite them in the nethers.

Permissive ways are the same as public footpaths except that the landowner can (with due notice) close it of for some events (heavy farm machinery movements, pheasant shoots etc). They are allowed to close it for no more than 1 month per year (cumulative).

We encounter many walkers where we live who are deterred by these signs. One landowner actually has put up signs that say 'This is a permissive way, not a public footpath'. Very naughty and sneaky.  Spread the message. Freedom to the rambler!!

• Like 1

On 10/07/2024 at 11:56, Bulleidboy said:

Thanks Al. I won't say it was a once in a life-time trip, but we went "Premier Dining" and paid the supplement for a table for two rather than four. Service was first class. We left Woking a few minutes after ten, and were given Bucks Fizz followed by breakfast - melon, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, croissants plus all the tea and coffee you could drink. Clan Line was turned at Yeovil and a Class 47 took us on to Weymouth, arriving at about 3.30pm - two hours walking along Weymouth front and the Harbour - no rain. Train departed at 5.36pm - Clan Line up front, and a four course, silver service meal was served almost immediately on leaving. Arrived back in Basingstoke at 9.06 - on time. Not a down-side, but the lights failed in our carriage, however the MD of the Railway Touring Company was sitting adjacent to us and went into B&Q in Weymouth and bought LED lamps for every table in the carriage - no need to do this, but she went the extra mile to keep everyone happy. The route back was through Bournemouth, New Forest and Southampton, so a little quicker than the outward journey - and the driver certainly gave it some welly. A great day out☺️

Sound like they aim to keep you all happy, was that with Saphos ?

The wife and I + 2 friends have one booked for October, really looking forward to it 🙂

I was recently treated to a Steam Dreams "Garden of England Lunchtime Tour", London Victoria 1000-1535, scheduled to be with 70000 'Britannia' but in the event pulled by 46100 'Royal Scot' on Southern metals!  London-Medway Towns-Canterbury-Dover-Ashford-London.  A treat, indeed.  

A working timetable was provided giving passing and stop times to the half minute which showed the pressure the loco crew were under (a female 'fireman', I believe) to maintain their schedule without disrupting the fairly intensive public timetable.  A protracted water stop at Canterbury East did not help matters, although some vigorous running up the boat train route (with a trailing load of twelve coaches and a class 47) plus the built-in recovery allowances resulted in an on-time return.  Based at Southall, I believe the train and crew interwork with Saphos tours.

I think this was something of a shake-down trip as it took place before the first of the main summer programme departures (hence, perhaps, the problems linking the road tanker to the tender at Canterbury) and was nowhere near full but the attention, snacks and afternoon tea could not be faulted.  Even the riding of the Mk1 coaches, albeit on B4 bogies, was extremely smooth - a change from my memory of 4-CEPs/4-BEPs in their heyday and even the 375s/377s upon which I travelled to/from London on the day.