Too Much TT:120 Stuff Being Released!!!

Like most northerners I don’t like spending money, my childhood hero was Albert Arkwright so when it came to the decision to come back into the model railway hobby in January this year TT:120 sounded like the perfect scale.

I had watched numerous youtube videos on this new scale and spoke to a few local model shops who assured me TT:120 was a waste of time and there was little demand with very little support from other manufactures other than Hornby. This sounded perfect as I could have a layout and if anyone asked why I didn’t have or do something I could reply with “it’s not supported” as an excuse to not spend any money doing this.

I feel let down…

Since buying my Scotsman set in January despite being told the contrary look at what has been released.

• Class 43 HST in 3 liveries
  • Class 50 in 2 liveries
  • Duchess Class in 3 liveries
  • Mk1 Coaches is era 4 livery
  • Mk2 coaches in 2 liveries
  • Mk3 coaches in 3 liveries
  • Stanier coaches in 3 liveries
  • HAA Hopper in 2 versions
  • TTA Tankers in 3 liveries
  • 21T mineral wagon

In April Hornby further let my wallet down by announcing

• J50 in 3 liveries
  • Class 08 in BR Green
  • 45’ Container wagons in 3 liveries
  • 12T Tank Wagon in 2 liveries
  • Level Crossing
  • Signals

This week due to the new TT:120 releases I am now twitching like Chief Inspector Drayfus with the thought of my credit card getting further punishment buying new signals, new wagons and new buildings and not having an excuse to not buy more locos.

My allergy to spending money is now so bad I’m taking anti histamine daily and repeatably counting my loose change to try to control it. 

*for those who lack a sense of humour this post is a dig at the nay sayers, keep up the good work 🙂.

• Like 1
  • Haha 17

All this spending is just a sign of no discipline in modern society, when northerners freely open their wallets that’s a bad sign… we are doomed! 

It’s surprising how many people ‘in the industry’ and experts failed to see the success of TT:120. I wonder just how much money some of the experts  have done themselves out of, oh well as we say up North, ‘you can’t educate pork’ 

Double points till 17/07/24 too!!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Postman On The Rails said:

Always double points when I don’t need anything 😝 

Do you actually 'need' anything?, maybe it would be better to say "always double points when I don't 'want' anything" 😄 Are you sure you don't want anything?🤔

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tim Allen said:

Do you actually 'need' anything?, maybe it would be better to say "always double points when I don't 'want' anything" 😄 Are you sure you don't want anything?🤔

Now thats the kind of logic that I understand! You had me doubting you at the start, but then you turned it around with an irrefutable and undeniable truism!! Excellent. 🥳 

6 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

It’s surprising how many people ‘in the industry’ and experts failed to see the success of TT:120. I wonder just how much money some of the experts  have done themselves out of, oh well as we say up North, ‘you can’t educate pork’ 

I think ‘the industry’ sees the success. It’s the armchair experts that need to eat some humble pie. We know it takes upwards of 18months to develop a new model loco and Revolution won’t have started their new wagons yesterday either.  My money is on some more announcements before the end of the year. Hopefully some bo-bos and DMUs.

Really looking forward to the release of the Class 37 too.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, John-L said:

Hopefully some bo-bos and DMUs.

I too would love a bo-bo - Class 25? Though I know many are clamouring for DMUs too. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Some of us were here, praising this scale to anyone that would listen (and many that wouldn’t) from the early days. Are we feeling smug now with a smidgen of “told you so”?

Yes, we are.  😁

Edited by RB51
Removed banned word
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I too had just spent more than I, as a conflicted southerner living in the north and assimilating well, should ever have considered spending, with Hornby. Then along came the double points promo and ‘luckily’ I hadn’t yet ordered two HM6010’s. I can assure readers, this was remedied last evening and I expect a despatch email shortly

As I have mentioned in nearly every post I have made, I am brand new to the hobby (aside from amateur spells as a child, and as a parent of a child in the past) and this will be my first serious foray as a hobby (rather than belting trains around a track to amuse my childhood self or my son). TT120 was the hook that has drawn me back in, as I have experienced as a child both OO and N gauge and find them either too big or too small for my current needs and requirements

So TT120 and my discovery of it has led to me spending ludicrous amounts of money in the past two weeks: luckily it’s my 60th birthday shortly so I am hoping family will chip in with cash donations to fund my new hobby. I am currently overseas on holiday, so the only actual TT120 stuff I’ve held are some 3D printed people acquired from Moor View Models, which were received prior to my departure. Waiting at my local parcel shop for collection when I’m back in Blighty are:

• Class 50 (sound fitted)
  • The Easterner train set (sound fitted)
  • Track packs 4 & 5 plus since 2 & 3 are unavailable I ordered the pieces individually
  • 2 x HM6010 accessory controllers 
  • Various modelling items such as ballast, glue, neoprene sheet for baseboard, modelling tool kit, turnout clips
  • 3 x 7 plank PECO wagons
  • PECO platform kit
  • and on order, the HST train set (sound fitted)

I’m still considering which point motors I need (under board) and lighting, and how to make all that work with the HM6010 so expect new threads with questions shortly! 

I have to wait around 6 weeks for the baseboard so cannot do much in between except build a track loop and run in my new loco’s, and build my station platform. Oh and then decide which other buildings I will need, and possibly order and build. Plus I have a mountain of you tube videos to watch. 

From my perspective, it’s a massive success. I hope TT120 continues to grow and be supported. Id love to see a DMU or EMU sometime soon, as from then1960’s on is my preferred era(s) - while I’ve been alive really. Maybe in time it will overtake other scales as the scale of choice. I’m sure Hornby must have taken a massive gamble on this, I hope they feel it has been successful and has driven new customers to market and hopefully reinvigorated their business. I am almost certainly single-handedly responsible for a surge in their share price this week, and I’m sure their despatch folk will need a rest this weekend! 

EDIT: order just placed for 4x box wagons from Revolution Trains. Oh dear! 😉 

Edited by ukpetey
  • Like 1

@ukpetey it is all rather addictive isn’t it? 
BTW, I posted a “how to” look at using the HM6010 on my YouTube channel which might be of interest to you whilst you’re sunning yourself poolside..😉

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@RB51 thanks I was going to order a cl 66 in GBRF livery  on  the web site and some nice revolution wagons go with it from rails.

i have  got a few points in the bank to make it about half price +double points win win 🤣🤣

Oh dear, in stock only ,   why can't we use them on pre-orders i don't get it  i would buy more to get  more points to spend🤣

Edited by RB51
Removal of banned word

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Postman On The Rails said:

@ukpetey You are like me I started in April last year and loving every minute

Thank you. That makes me happy to know that you're loving it. I think I’m going to love it too. I am beyond excited to get home and start unpacking it all. I’m desperate for my base board to come as I can’t do much until then. Although it’s summer (supposedly) so I’ll find (be found) stuff to do while I wait! 

2 hours ago, Peachy said:

BTW, I posted a “how to” look at using the HM6010 on my YouTube channel which might be of interest to you whilst you’re sunning yourself poolside..😉

Thanks Chris, I will take a look now. It’s my last afternoon in the sun 😬

Edited by ukpetey

2 hours ago, Peachy said:

I only got 2 minutes in and already everything you say resonates with me. You made that video 9 months ago but it was the same for me this week. Nothing on the HM6010 part of hornby’s website says that it will work with HM7000. I emailed Hornby to ask and got a reply back yesterday confirming. You’d think they’d have fixed that in the intervening period. I think companies assume that newbies will somehow find it all out by osmosis or something!  But like you I don’t understand it all and need something to tell me that “this is the thing that does the thing” 

Wow! I’ve watched it all and am so much better informed than I was at the start, thanks so much Chris for making the video and for highlighting it to me. It all makes sense now. So simple. Hopefully you’ve made a video about fitting under board hidden point motors and a buyers guide, as that’s my next consideration! OK, I’m off to the pool… 🙂